Juneau - coordinating activities (whales, salmon, and glacier)

Barek

In Junuea, we have a morning excursion planned with Harv and Marv. We were thinking of having them drop us off at Mendenhall afterwards, but we realized that food would start being an issue. From what I recall from my prior visit to Juneau (not by cruise ship), there's no place to eat out near the Mendenhall visitor center. So, we were thinking of doing the Salmon bake for lunch, then going to Mendenhall. The question is if this is do-able, and how would be best to coordinate the travel between each activity? Would it just be simpler to pack a lunch, then do the Salmon bake for dinner?

In Junuea, we have a morning excursion planned with Harv and Marv. We were thinking of having them drop us off at Mendenhall afterwards, but we realized that food would start being an issue. From what I recall from my prior visit to Juneau (not by cruise ship), there's no place to eat out near the Mendenhall visitor center. So, we were thinking of doing the Salmon bake for lunch, then going to Mendenhall. The question is if this is do-able, and how would be best to coordinate the travel between each activity? Would it just be simpler to pack a lunch, then do the Salmon bake for dinner?

I am not sure where the salmon bake takes place, but if you go from whale watching to Mendenhall, you can eat in between at Hot Bite at Auke Bay (I was just about to type "in" Auke Bay but let's hope it isn't in the bay when you get there!). Sometimes the ships call ahead to order when they are still on the water.

Auke Bay then Mendenhall works well since Mendenhall is relatively close to Auke Bay so little if any backtracking.

John

Are you all day in port??? If so, you could do your morning whale watch, get dropped off at the salmon bake or back downtown, for the shuttle. Then

spend the afternoon at Mendenhall, using the shuttle bus round trip.

Otherwise, have the whale watch, pre order lunch in Auke Bay.

Archived