Golf?

skiiergirl

gtaylor...Thanks for the info. Why LOW expectations? I realize "caribbean" golf is much different than our courses at home so what makes this one so "LOW"? My husband played it many, many years ago? Has it changed in the last 10 years or so? Can you compare it to Mahogany Run, Barbados Golf Club, or Cap Estates in St. Lucia or Sandals St. Lucia?

Thanks again.

The course has been fairly neglected since hurricane Luis wiped out the adjacent Mullet Bay resort (and much of the island) in 1995. It has yet to be rebuilt.

For current comments, check out this thread over on Travel Talk On Line (TTOL).

FYI, Here's a schematic of the course.

I believe the current charges are $108 for 18 holes and $26 for club rental.

Don't bother, the course has been neglected for years. They will take your cash but you will sorry. The property while gorgeous has been tied up in litigation, so nothing has been done to the course or the surrounding properties for years

I'm not saying don't do it, just don't expect Mahogony Run.

Actually, I found some pictures of the course taken just last month, it it looks a heck of a lot better than it did when we were there last October.

Edited to add, those pictures were deep-linked from the new AquaMarina complex website. I couldn't figure out a way to point to the page that had the shots.

• 3 weeks later...

skiiergirl-

I remember your previous post about golfing in Curacao. Did you ever golf when you were there?

The greens at the Mullet Golf Course are not maintained as well as most. It's usually quite dry; unless there's a rainy spell, then you'll find big puddles.

Dushi....We tried to golf on Curacao. We took the taxi out there and it was closed. They had had 3 solid days of rain before we got there. The course had not been mowed and was not open for play. It looked like it would be ok but nothing fabulous. (We know though to expect "Caribbean golf" and not US resort golf.)

Too bad about the golf in Curacao.

Last November, St Maarten had nearly a week of rain which caused some schools and businesses to close. Unfortunately the islands don't have the infrastructure to handle all the rain. If you have your heart set on golfing at Mullet Bay, please check the weather forecast beforehand.

We're here, and the course LOOKS great. Lots of rain recently, and it's beautiful.

I walked the course and talked with some golfers. Their remarks were that the course is very 'forgiving' and the greens are 'bumpy'. They said that any true golfer will pay the money and enjoy the course.

We'll be home the end of the month and I can post some pictures then.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I was calling for. Thanks for all of the info and suggestions!

How is the Front St. area looking? The Jewel week we will shop a little with in-laws before GE trip. (Thanksgiving week) So I am curious how bad the shopping area is still torn up. (The next week...Mariner week...is when it will just be the two of us and we are trying to golf.)

thanks again!!!!

Archived