Stupid question regarding ship time and St. Thomas

pklopp

Hello - I know this has been discussed numerous times before, but we have booked a daysail on 3/26/08 and I need time help. We leave from Miami (EST) and dock at St. Thomas at 9:00 a.m. - if I remember, we still follow ship time, so would that be 10:00 a.m. in St. Thomas? Have never cared in the past, but since we have booked a trip, and our daysail captain didn't have the answer, I thought I'd look here for help.

Thanks much.

Peggy

:confused: How do I know what "ship time" will be? I am also planning excursions on my own. I will be sailing on Grandeur of the Seas in April. We will board the ship in San Juan, Puerto Rico but it will be on the second leg of a B2B. The first leg sails out of Tampa. My ports will be St. Thomas, St. Martin, Tortola, and Bermuda. Will there be any difference between ship time and the time in these ports? Also the times listed as time in port would be in ship time, correct???:confused:

It's not a stupid question at all! The problem is that each ship's Captain makes the decision about changing to local time as they sail through diffferent time zones.

Any good local tour provider will know what time the ship docks and sails.

Unless you check with people who were on a cruise or two before you (and the Captain doesn't change), you just don't know :) !

:confused: How do I know what "ship time" will be? I am also planning excursions on my own. I will be sailing on Grandeur of the Seas in April. We will board the ship in San Juan, Puerto Rico but it will be on the second leg of a B2B. The first leg sails out of Tampa. My ports will be St. Thomas, St. Martin, Tortola, and Bermuda. Will there be any difference between ship time and the time in these ports? Also the times listed as time in port would be in ship time, correct???:confused:

Not that time of year the islands will be on AST they don't observe daylight savings time. You and ship will be on EDT, which is the same as AST.

Sue, I know how you feel, I get so confused, and seem to get mixed answers, even from Carnival. DST starts March 9. So then it's upto the captain? we were in Coz last year they didn't announce it on the ship, and several of us showed up an hour earlier for our excursions - I guess that's better than an hour late!

Glad to see you are out there and asking questions. You will have a wonderful time and enjoy your first cruise. Just make sure you book the Mariner while you are onboard. :D

Love ya

Mom

Archived