I just made our packing list. Anyone want to take a look?

OnTheBrink

I am a mother of two (DS is 6, DD is 2 1/2) and I can REALLY relate to this list! I ALWAYS overpack, it's just something I cannot control! I'd love a copy of the list, if you don't mind. How do I go about emailing you? :confused: I don't see that as an option anywhere.

My email address was listed a few posts ago. It's MosesFamily@earthlink.net.

Happy to help!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is some list!!! My list better not be that big, LOL......just doesn't seem like a vacation if I have to bring all that stuff. Just wondering why the laundry stuff...are you doing laundry on your cruise? The only thing I plan on is washing out bathing suits...that's it, the rest can wait :)

How many suitcases do you think you'll have?

Wow, that is some list!!! My list better not be that big, LOL......just doesn't seem like a vacation if I have to bring all that stuff. Just wondering why the laundry stuff...are you doing laundry on your cruise? The only thing I plan on is washing out bathing suits...that's it, the rest can wait :)

How many suitcases do you think you'll have?

Yes, I do plan to do laundry. With four of us on a cruise for 10 days, we'll want to wash at some point. My son, who is 3.5, is a tad messy. I'd rather do wash than pack him 20 tshirts!

No idea on the suitcases, but I don't think it will be a ton. Last time we went for 7 days and I don't recall haven't a ton of suitcases. This time we'll be in two separate cabins, so we'll have that much more space.

I also want to throw in a big "THANKS" for this list! I always make a list and have found from my first cruise (no cc) to my last (with lots of tips from cc) that certain little things made a big difference! I also copied the list and created one of my own. We're travelling with my 13 month old DS this time and I know I'll be so concerned about bringing everything he'll need, that I'll forget something I need! I also made a list for my DD and her friend who will be in the cabin next door. I made sure to tell them to coordinate items such as toothpaste etc so that they don't have 2 of everything. They can also swap some clothes too.

Thanks again! It was so very helpful!

• 3 weeks later...
This is wonderful' date=' thank you.............I have added scotch tape/lint brush.[/color']

I had a lint brush that never worked after one time....since then I use scotch tape for DH on his dark suit.............love it..............no matter how I take care of his suit never coming near Misty, our extremely hairy kitty.....it happens.............so............I always do the tape.......

also maybe sticky notes...........for the room steward........

they don't take up much room........

I have found that the tags the airlines put on your luggage work great for lint removers. With three of us traveling, I always have enough "sticky" to remove all my lint!

I think it's Rick Steves who says, "There are two types of travelers: those who pack light and those who wish they had."

I hope it works for you -- my family never brings anything like all this, nor do we miss it. And, yes, I also have two children. I've found that the less we pack, the more fun we have.

...but you can't miss what you've never had! While this list is quite extensive, I must say there are many items on it that we wouldn't board a ship without either (and I got all that information from these boards- Thanks everyone!).

And I totally agree about the binoculars. Invest in a very small pair and you'll never leave for a vacation again without them. We always get a balcony and love using them!

Thanks for replying!

Yes, baggies are on there (small and large) under organization.

The duct tape - What is this used for? I see lots of posts about it, but I don't really know what it's for. And some people talk about getting flat strips of duct tape. What is the benefit to that?

We are driving down the day before (about 3 hour drive).

We have box sitting in the office at home where we just toss things as we come upon them and think it will be helpful for the trip (hand sanitizer, wipes, stuff that we buy in bulk but will only need a little bit of on the tri

I really appreciate you taking a peek! My husband thinks I'm a bit insane for the planning, but it makes me much happier!

The duct tape is for hemming pants and skirts or any other kind of hem. The list is a bit long for me.

Just wanted to update that we are all packed. It took one large and two medium suitcases. We'll add one small one for last minute stuff and overnight at the hotel the night before. Feels pretty reasonable to me! And - exciting!!! The suitcases are sitting upstairs just waiting to go!

Yikes! Don't think all that will fit in my single carryon bag.

Where did the concern about luggage zippers begin? I have traveled around the world several times with luggage flung on and off trains, little boats, the occasional donkey, little planes in the pouring rain- and I have never lost a zipper. Yet again and again here I see this obsession about luggage zippers breaking. Just curious.

Yikes! Don't think all that will fit in my single carryon bag.

Where did the concern about luggage zippers begin? I have traveled around the world several times with luggage flung on and off trains, little boats, the occasional donkey, little planes in the pouring rain- and I have never lost a zipper. Yet again and again here I see this obsession about luggage zippers breaking. Just curious.

Yep - definitely wouldn't fit in a carryon! We are packed and ready to go and it's taking 1 large, 1 medium, and 2 small suitcases.

I, too, have never had a broken piece of luggage. I've never even met anyone who has. And if my luggage DOES happen to break, that's the kind of thing I'd hope to get help from staff on.

I'm quite impressed at your organization skills and extensive "don't leave home without it" list. I guess I just leave lots of room to be "up a creek without a paddle"...My rule when traveling with kids - everyone packs one (1) individual bag...don't fit / don't take. My husband and I pack one extra for family orientated stuff...so ultimately whether a 4 day cruise, 7 day cruise, 4 day cruise + 5 days at Disney...four individuals bags and one family bag...HOWEVER, when my husband and I go alone...sometimes one suitcase + we each take a carry on and sometimes less...how much room can a toothbrush, toothpaste, camera, outfit, bathing suit, personal hygiene and tennis shoe's take up...Formal Dress nights means putting on your underwear...casual means "comando"...Just kidding...sortof...

I know that my list mirrored yours on our first cruise but since then realized that overpacking for emergencies was far more expensive and cumbersome than just buying what I needed for whatever particular emergency I was experiencing.

Enjoy your cruises and beware...I might have to look for you on one of my cruises when I end up on board TOTALLY unprepared...LOL!

Sack:D

Just something I always do - because my kids love to send postcards to grandma, aunt, friends, etc. I print out the address labels before we leave of everyone they want to send a postcard to and that way we just slap them on and they can write their message and mail them away. We always buy stamps at the ports we go to - we use some and I save a few for our scrapbook.:)

My DH is complaining that I packed too much. How many t shirts, shorts, long pants, dresses etc. do you pack. I packed 6 complete outfits for day and six for evening. Also formal shoes, casual night shoes, and water shoes and/or crocs. Is that too much?

My DH is complaining that I packed too much. How many t shirts, shorts, long pants, dresses etc. do you pack. I packed 6 complete outfits for day and six for evening. Also formal shoes, casual night shoes, and water shoes and/or crocs. Is that too much?

I treid to double up some stuff, but had a hard time. thought I woudl do some laundry, but never did (who wants to do laundry on vacation?).

I don't think it's too much - I don't see any other way....

I know on the brink is now on vacation - i would add the following to the list:

Evening purse or bag (for formal nights)

Bingo dabbers (we bought them last cruise and still have them, why spend another $2 each)..

1. How long is the cruise

2. Are there kids involved

I going to proceed as if children aren't going (and therefore, the length of the cruise doesn't matter).

Take only the items that you'd grab if you were leaving in a hurry because the hospital called and told you that your "honey" was in the emergency room. That's the best way I can describe it.

1. No makeup except extreme basic - it's going to "run" anyway and your swty already knows what you look like - everyone else doesn't matter!

2. Personal affects that you use on any given day - not things out of the ordinary.

3. Forget the jeans!!

4. Other than my wedding ring - I don't bring any other jewelry as this gives me a reason to buy "bling" on board that I like

5. Always remember - ELASTIC WAISTBANDS are your friends!

So to recap a recent trip I took (3 day - Sovereign) using a "roll-on" that would fit in an overhead compartment of a plane and a back-pack that could double as a purse and an excursion bag.

1. Toothbrush, toothpaste, comb/brush, scrunchies, lip gloss/mascara, shampoo/conditioner (all travel size).

2. One "quasi" dressy outfit (1-piece dress)

3. Underoos, socks

4. Digital camera

5. Wore a pair of flipflops and "cute" athletic outfit that could be broken down into 2 other outfits. Packed 2 pairs shoes that were universal

6. Bathing suit, coverup, sunscreen, book

7. 3 "cute" t-shirts, 3 pairs capri's, 1 short/shirt outfit

That was it...if I needed it but didn't have it, I bought it onboard or in Nassau.

Worked for me...:D

Sack

Add a bottle of vinegar to your beach bag. It is great for jellyfish stings and we've used it on several cruises. My DS got stung when we were on Labadee once and it took 3 months for the scar to go away. We poured vinegar on him immediately, so I hate to think how bad it would have been otherwise (lifeguards on Labadee also gave us something to take the sting away)

Add a bottle of vinegar to your beach bag. It is great for jellyfish stings and we've used it on several cruises. My DS got stung when we were on Labadee once and it took 3 months for the scar to go away. We poured vinegar on him immediately, so I hate to think how bad it would have been otherwise (lifeguards on Labadee also gave us something to take the sting away)

I just added vinegar to my packing list. Thanks!

There are five of us (2 adults, 3 kids 14, 12, 7) leaving this Saturday on LOS and we will each have one suitcase, a "family" suitcase, a "beach suitcase" and a carryon suitcase. In all that is nine suitcases. It seems like a lot but I have no idea how to do without less. We do have two rooms so that will help in storing them.

Do you bring your own beach towels? I know they are provided by the ship but I don't want to stand in line and worry that the kids will check one out and then forget to return it. Also, it seems much easier to spot our particular chairs on the beaches and ship because we would recognize our own towels. Any opinions on taking your own towels. They are already packed but I'm just not sure.

Nancy, I LOVED the list. Two of my children have allergies and asthma. Therefore, I have a medicine bag like no other!! :D My other son has a heart problem and although there are no meds. for him, I have to take all his health documentation, doctors #'s etc. Thanks for the list. It really helped me to complete my list.

Hi! We're home and had a great time! And I am so glad I had that packing list. I think we used most everything! The only things we didn't use were (thankfully) all of the medicines. But, since I just took out a few of each and put them in tiny pill bags, they took up less than a quart size bag. I was glad to have what we needed, though.

What else didn't we use...??? I only wore 4 of the 6 bathing suits I took. Well, I actually wore all 3 bottoms, but only 4 of the 6 tops. The two extra bikini tops didn't take up much room, so it was fine.

My son refused to wear his floaty wings in the pool. Instead he learned to swim!

I think that's it!

I am not sure if you said where you are cruising to, but if you plan on any beach days, you may wish to invest in some spring floats for use at the beach. They are easy to pack.

If you don't know what I am referring to, check out post #13 of the thread listed below.

The OP used the baby swim float and shows the package that also has pictures of the regular spring float.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=749374

Archived