Century Tendering in Cayman - Suggestions

caazcruzin

It was a pain to tender here. Not as bad going as coming back where the lines were long and the heat intense. If I didn't love the beach so much, I would not leave the ship.

That's just it! We love the beach, but were not impressed at all with 7 mile. Too crowded, plus we had to pay to use it. We discovered that staying on the ship and looking out to the shore was more enjoyable. Free food, too! :D

A few years ago my wife and I were on the RCCL Voyager of the Seas and most looking forward to Grand Cayman. After an all night cruise from Cozumel we arrived at Grand Cayman to be told that due to 9 ft seas we could not tender and we were to big to dock like the smaller ships. We spent all day slowly cruising back to Belize. An extra sea day and a interesting port missed.

It could have been worst. It got around the ship that there was a bride and groom on board with a large wedding party waiting on Grand Cayman.

Last year we were in Concierge Class and had priority tendering. Getting off was fine...getting back to the ship, not so much. The tender was very crowded, just like sardines in the tin. It seemed as if the tender crew wanted to see how many of us they could 'stuff' into the tender. I know they (hopefully) observe maximum occupancy limits, but there were people standing and we were almost in each others' laps. Since it was quite warm, that added to the discomfort level. Be advised.

Last year we were in Concierge Class and had priority tendering. Getting off was fine...getting back to the ship, not so much. The tender was very crowded, just like sardines in the tin. It seemed as if the tender crew wanted to see how many of us they could 'stuff' into the tender. I know they (hopefully) observe maximum occupancy limits, but there were people standing and we were almost in each others' laps. Since it was quite warm, that added to the discomfort level. Be advised.

Yes sometimes that happens when it gets busy with the tender boats. Also with tendering there, it just all depends on how calm the ocean is. We we were there 2 years ago, it almost did not happen as the day before it was rough and they didn't allow anyone to the island, then the captain was told the night before dinner that we could tender and the whole ship started clapping for joy. And the water was very calm the next day and we were fine.

It seems like experiences on the crowdedness of the tenders varies a bit. Is this time dependent? I'm sailing on Century next week, in GC from 7 to 5. I am assuming that the last couple of tenders back will be the most crowded. Is this true? I'm thinking it could go either way: either people don't want to risk being late and the final tenders are nearly empty, or people wait until the last minute and the final tenders are crowded. Any experience here? And does anyone know when the last tender is?

Also, we have the Nativeways Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion booked. We are to meet them at the harbor at 9 am. From what i have read they start handing out tender tickets at 8 am. Is this right, or does it vary? And what time should i get in line for the tender tickets? How long do the tenders take to get to the harbor?

wow, that was a lot of questions. maybe i should have started a new topic.

TIA

Just got back yesterday from Century. Tendering in GC was the best yet. We've been there when seas were rough and out time was shortened, and tendering slow. However, this week went famously. Sea was like glass. The announcement was made around 7:30 that tendering was available and that earlier was better than later. We went to theatre around 0830 which was the designated wait area, no waiting, were ushered right onto a tender boat and on the pier shortly. There were both Century and local tenders available. At least four ships were there that day. Spent about 1/2 day on shore and returned around 1:30pm. Again no waiting and left on a tender only 1/2 full to return to the ship. I do recommend leaving the ship early and returning maybe an hour before told to prevent crowded tenders and long waiting. PS We have done Nativeway Stingray City and had a great time. Enjoy:D

Thanks sharke and Sea Island Lady. I am just going to relax. I'm on the february 4th century cruise. Going with a girlfriend, no kids or hubbies so its all about relaxation. No worrying about tenders allowed! If we miss the excursion we'll find something else to do.

That's just it! We love the beach, but were not impressed at all with 7 mile. Too crowded, plus we had to pay to use it. We discovered that staying on the ship and looking out to the shore was more enjoyable. Free food, too! :D

Seven Mile Beach, like most beaches in the Caribbean is a public beach and there are public access roads, so you don't have to pay to use the beach unless you enter through one of the hotel properties and use their facilities. Perhaps you should have gone further along the beach away from the crowds which tend to congregate at the end closest to downtown Georgetown.

We foolishly caught a shuttle that said they could "take us to a nice beach, mon". The area was about half way down and we could still see the ships in a distance. Yes, we did enter through a hotel entrance, where we were greeted by a man at a table who was charging an entrance fee. We stayed on the beach, all of 20 minutes, and caught the same shuttle back to downtown. :D We were gullible!

When you grow up on the private beaches of SC (and I don't mean Myrtle Beach,) no other beach in the world is as beautiful and uncrowded. Yes, some are prettier from afar, but none that has the wide white sand that goes on for miles.

Archived