Options in Ketchikan ?

Texas_firefighter

I have done a zip line in 2 different countries and will be on the longest in Icy Strait Point. Which ever you choose it is a blast!

I've never done the Zip Rider in Icy Straight Point but a friend of ours has and says it was awesome. Be informed though, that the Zip Rider in ISP and the Zipline in Ketchikan or Juneau are totally different experiences. Check them both out here.

Zip Rider (Icy Straight Point)http://www.icystraitpoint.com/excursions_zip.html

Zipline (Ketchikan, Juneau)http://www.alaskacanopyadventures.com/tours.html

Trudy

I've never done the Zip Rider in Icy Straight Point but a friend of ours has and says it was awesome. Be informed though, that the Zip Rider in ISP and the Zipline in Ketchikan or Juneau are totally different experiences. Check them both out here.

Zip Rider (Icy Straight Point)http://www.icystraitpoint.com/excursions_zip.html

Zipline (Ketchikan, Juneau)http://www.alaskacanopyadventures.com/tours.html

Trudy

You are right and for a 1st timer I would not do the one in ISP. It is one long thrill ride. The others are a series of Zips from platform to platform throught and over the trees.

Someone told me about www.Shoretrips.com. Looks like they have a lot of options cheaper than the cruise lines.

I am think about booking a couple thru them.

No gripe with Shoretrips; I've used them in the Caribbean a few times. But they are still a middleman. Why not just book directly with the vendor?

No gripe with Shoretrips; I've used them in the Caribbean a few times. But they are still a middleman. Why not just book directly with the vendor?

The Heli/Glacier Level 1, 2, and 3 Trek tours in Juneau are cheaper with Shoretrips than directly with the vendor! :confused: Any explanation why????

Trudy

The Heli/Glacier Level 1, 2, and 3 Trek tours in Juneau are cheaper with Shoretrips than directly with the vendor! :confused: Any explanation why????

Trudy

Hi Trudy - No, I don't know why; I'm surprised. Maybe Shoretrips' website is outdated? Purely a guess...

Hi Trudy - No, I don't know why; I'm surprised. Maybe Shoretrips' website is outdated? Purely a guess...

Hey Patrick...regardless, I think we will book directly with Northstar, although I am TERRIFIED at the thought of flying in a helicopter! They seem to have very high safety ratings...please assure me of this! With booking thru a third party, I just don't have that confidence we'll get Northstar Trekking. At this point, it's all about booking with the company who I feel most at ease with...and that is Northstar. We're going to book in the next day or two. Please assure me I have nothing to worry about! :p

Trudy

Hey Patrick...regardless, I think we will book directly with Northstar, although I am TERRIFIED at the thought of flying in a helicopter! They seem to have very high safety ratings...please assure me of this! With booking thru a third party, I just don't have that confidence we'll get Northstar Trekking. At this point, it's all about booking with the company who I feel most at ease with...and that is Northstar. We're going to book in the next day or two. Please assure me I have nothing to worry about! :p

Trudy

Hi Trudy - I agree with your approach; you have to do what's comfortable or you, and IMO the direct booking with a trusted vendor is the way to go.

NST really impressed me with their safety focus. My AK experience is limited, but in the month I spent there last year, some operators didn't mention safety at all; others paid it lip service, but NST really seemed to take it seriously, which I appreciated.

I can't tell you there's nothing to worry about. There were a couple of incidents last year - not with NorthStar - and there's some risk with this tour because of the helicopter. Just try to keep it in perspective, and remember all of the people who go, and have a good time, and never have a problem. I think the other good thing is that you're in the helicopter; it moves so gently and effortlessly and the experience is very pleasant.

IMO, it's worth it!:)

I can't tell you there's nothing to worry about. There were a couple of incidents last year - not with NorthStar - and there's some risk with this tour because of the helicopter. !

That's EXACTLY why we didn't go last year!

But I've read so many great reviews and have seen so many awesome pics that I figure if it's our time to go...so be it. Can't live life being afraid. :eek:

Heck... at 50 I've ziplined and now I'm going kayaking so I just gotta get in a helicopter too! Just hope I live to write a review!

Trudy

• 4 years later...

> The Deer Mountain Trailhead is reached by heading south on Tongass Highway 1/2 mile to Tatsuda's Supermarket. Turn left onto Deermount St. Follow Deermount until it dead ends at T-intersection. Turn right at T and follow hiker signs. Trail length is 9.9 miles from City of Ketchikan to Lower Silvis Lake. This trail is rated most difficult. It ascends steeply from the Ketchikan Trailhead to a spectacular overlook of Ketchikan and the surrounding area. It is a 2.5 mile hike to the Deer Mountain Recreation Cabin. From there, experienced hikers can continue past the summit. The trail crosses high alpine ridges and can be dangerous due to elevation and poor weather conditions. It is not well marked as it approaches Silvis Lakes. Dramatic alpine scenery makes the hike well worth the effort. 1/2 mile of trail near Silvis Lakes is under reconstruction this year.

Thank you GMoney! This is just the info that I was looking for. We are considering taking a cab from the dock to the Lower Silvi Lake, and hiking back. Is the Deer Mtn Trail a ridge trail between John Mountain and Deer Mountain?

Are there problems with our plan? Any closures that are known for July 2012?

Canopy/Zipline Tours

zipline3.jpg

Alaska Canopy Tours

Locally owned and operated, Alaska Canopy Adventures' courses are the largest in Alaska, providing you with the longest ziplines, the most breathtaking sky bridges, 4 x 4 climbs up the mountains and high speed jet boats. In Ketchikan they offer two courses: the Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition, and the Bear Creek Zipline Adventure.

4085 Tongass Ave St. 201

Tel: (907) 225-5503

Southeast Exposure Outdoor Adventure Center

Also locally owned and operated, the Southeast Exposure Outdoor Adventure Center operates the Rainforest Canopy Ropes & Zipline Tour, a zipline tour at its facility in Knudson Cove.

37 Potter Road

Tel: (907) 225-8829

Hi John - Thanks for this. For some reason, I had it in my head that some of these trails heads were outside of town and hard to get to. I could be totally wrong, so I'll do some research.

A short trail that is in town is Rainbird Trail. I saw a few references to it on Cruise Critic but couldn't find a lot of information anywhere else. I asked questions on the "answers for those excited about Ketchikan" thread and Renee & her husband walked it recently & she posted a review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33267235#post33267235

I wanted a relatively short & easy hike since it is our first port stop - need to ease into hiking on vacation. I've done a long & steep one on the first day and it ruined me for the next few days.

If your looking for a short walk...we did the "Married Man's Trail' when we were in Ketchikan

Walking tour:

(about 1 hour, walking easy.)

Walk from the ship to Creek St. then take the funicular up to the Fox Lodge- It's a lovely hotel, with a snack bar and restrooms at the top of the Funicular. There is also a beautiful set of totems out the back. We then walked back to town via the "married man's trail". It starts right outside the door of the Fox Lodge (looking at the totems out back, walk to your left and you will see the trail). It is all downhill.,..boardwalk style. You end up on Park. You can turn right, follow the creek, and detour to the salmon ladder if of interest and you are there when the salmon are running. It's quite something to see. You will also walk past the Hatchery and Totem Heritage Museum, cheap combo tickets available -. Continue through the city park and then a right down Deermount. Nice look at residential life. At the end turn right, and you will find yourself at the end of Creek St.

You will walk past Dolly's House...might be a fun tour to consider.

This is just the info that I was looking for. We are considering taking a cab from the dock to the Lower Silvi Lake, and hiking back. Is the Deer Mtn Trail a ridge trail between John Mountain and Deer Mountain?

Are there problems with our plan? Any closures that are known for July 2012?

I know of no closures for this year but a fantastic resource is the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (they're an Alaska Public Lands Information Center). You might want to give them a call - (907) 228-6220

Also - last year at least, the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau was loaning out GPS 'Spots' which they highly encouraged hikers who were heading out to difficult hikes to borrow. This would help pinpoint the hikers if they got lost. I'd check it out!

I have hiked Deer Mountain and consider it a butt-kicking hike. It has a lot of stairs/loopbacks/ascents.

Archived