just returned from gem jan 16

markf

Actually i would be interested in knowing how other cruises were from NY in the winter--yes the cruise going south was perfectly fine--the last day coming north was more adventuesome--but how typical was it??

We were on the Gem New Year's cruise - south, 2nd day, hit a storm front, ship tilted, okay after that. Very strong winds from the 4th day through to the end (all sea excursions cancelled in Freeport and Nassau) - made for a very rough ride second-to-last night and last day on board. Still better than a day at work though:) ! Not sure that's what you wanted to hear or how typical it was - it was just our experience.

we had a AC suite 9500 in fron of the ship==a suite with an oversized balcony--the balcony was large enough to hold 20 people--it had 2 lounge chairs 2 sit ups, a couch and a table and ample room after that--

The Italian restaurant is the best no fee restaurant--The steak was ok, but if you are used to Prime aged NY steak, you will be disaapointed

We were on the Noordam January 16 cruise and woke up at 3 a.m. Friday to the rocking and rolling of the ship. Our cabin was creaking and swaying but when we got up later in the morning it was worse top deck, especially in the Crow's Nest which is at the front of the ship. Our captain stated that the wind was 60 mph. with waves 18 feet early in the morning and then it decreased somewhat to 30 mph. It finally calmed down a bit by early evening.

The strange thing was that the captain informed us that the storm was not in the forecast not even when we were mid-way through it.

Yet upon returning my MIL said she heard about a storm forming out at sea.

Hi Mark,

You asked about other winter sailings from New York? We were on the Spirit last year in early March...great weather on the southbound leg, smooth as glass. The return trip to New York could not have been more different. We sailed thru a Nor'Easter for hours....high winds, huge waves slamming into the ship, lots of ship movement. In all of our cruises this was only the second time that the "sick bags" were set out all around the ship, and they were being used! I never usually have trouble with my stomach but I'll admit to being a little queasy during the night. We're on the Gem in a few weeks, hopefully it won't be that bad again but at least we know what to expect this time.

We don't have a location set up yet for our March 8 roll call CC get-together. Where did you meet for yours?

Kathy

Anyone onboard have a mini-suite?

Did they identify the perks....I heard that now all perks including the use of the concierge have been eliminated.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks.

Don

We were in a mini-suite on this voyage Don and have to confirm that the bad news is true. The only "perks" now are a free bottle of water, a fruit basket (the basket does get refilled part way through the trip) and bathrobes.

But the mini-suite is beautful. Would stay there again gladly!

I just wanted to chime in also about the buffet...although the majority of the food is on one side, the more popular offerings (the scrambled eggs, meats, hashbrowns, etc) are offered in at least two places. There are also two omelet stations set up. So if you find a line in one area, it's simple enough to move to the next. I found the buffet to move quite nicely, and found the food to be far superior to other buffets I've experienced.

Still hate the "no tray" thing though. I always make sure I have pockets when I go to the buffet now so I have someplace to tuck my silverware!

:D

I don't mean to beat a dead horse about the mini suite perks but....

I see from Dolphins review that you stayed in AF (mini suite--yes?) and ate at Cagney's for breakfast and dinner. So is Cagney's available for mini suites or for all passengers?

Thanks.

Excellent review by the way, Dolphins

I see from Dolphins review that you stayed in AF (mini suite--yes?) and ate at Cagney's for breakfast and dinner. So is Cagney's available for mini suites or for all passengers?

Thanks.

Great question NYteacher I was going to ask that also.

Thanks.

We had dinner one evening at Cagney's, a two-for-one available to all passengers at 5:30PM. We had breakfast occassionally at Cagney's at the personal invitation of the Hotel Director who we, as Gold Latitude members, have known for a long time. Nothing to do with mini-suite perks.

The Gem has silverware and napkins on the tables--so all you have to do is juggle a plate and a glass or cup--I vote bring back the trays --ASAP

Ah, but due to the lack of seating I bring my food back to my balcony...which I strategically booked near the buffet...hence my "silverware pocket".

But I'm completely with you on the tray issue!

Archived