Cruising Baltics early May

scouse mouse

Hi everyone, we are booked on the May 3rd Scandinavia and Baltic cruise. Anyone been out their that early in the year? What was the weather like, and what did you wear for excursions?

I am thinking layers? I have just bought my rainjacket as I guess it may be cold/wet?

We were not there in early May, but early June. There were some light sweater days and warm ones. I would pack a pair of Wintersilks and just take regular clothes for that time of year. Layers are absolutely right! I always take rain gear - wouldn't want to miss something just because of the rain.:)

We went in late May and I agree with Wormy. I took a couple of cotton sweaters, a fleece jacket and a rain jacket. I don't wear jeans, but heavier-weight pants were fine. I know I took my silk underwear but can't recall if I ever wore it. Going a little earlier like you are, I'd definitely bring it along.

I looked at pictures of trip in May, 2005. I took a windbreaker with a hood (single layer nylon) and wore that if windy and chilly. I also had a light fleece jacket and a fleece pullover that I wore over polos. I did not take silk underwear and never needed it. I did wear long pants -- no shorts except in gym on ship. In St. Petersburg and Tallinn, it was so warm that I just wore a polo shirt with pants -- Windbreaker along just in case! I loved that cruise. It has some of the most beautiful cruising up Oslo fjord and approaching Stockholm through the many islands.

We did our Baltic cruise in the month of June, and even then we had some chilly days.

I always bring a couple of pashmina or cashmere shawls for the dining room, and was happy I had them with me for some daytime excursions as well. Walking around the port area's can be quite windy and chilly.

Rather than cotton sweaters which are heavy and not very warm, I recommend bringing a thin cashemere sweater instead. It takes up less room in the suitcase and weighs a lot less too. I brought two with me, a pink thin cable knit and a thin yellow one, so they looked springy (not wintery) but were warm.

On warm days I wore flat sandals and on cold days I wore loafers and on rainy days I wore a pair waterproof microfiber slip on shoes.

A rainjacket with hood is essential in a downpour!

Archived