Paid too much for camera on Serenade OTS!

We're just off the Serenade OTS out of San Juan (sailed on 1/12) where we purchased a digital camera onboard.

DH and I attended the Digital Camera event held by RCCL on Sunday night (1/13) and bought the Olympus Stylus 790 SW camera for $299.95, plus another $60 in accessories. When I arrived home and decided to research the camera online, I found the deal wasn't so great after all!

Shopzilla.com lists many websites that begin at $247 (without tax and accessories). I'm irritated that RCCL would misrepresent the merchandise as a 'deal' when it really isn't.

Are there others out there who have also been duped with similar events?

Why would you buy a camera (an expensive one) on a cruise

ship ??? and then gripe about it ??? maybe RCCL thought it

was a deal ??

Why do people think they're going to get deals on electronics or jewelry on vacation? These are touristy places, and the prices are going to be HIGH. You're paying for convenience -- the item is there for you at the moment you want it.

This is one reason I never discuss the price of my new car, plane ticket or any other purchase with anyone. Not everyone pays the same and one of us is going to feel cheated.

Personally I never listen to the shopping talks on board because if I really needed something that badly I wouldn't buy it on vacation.

If you are unhappy return it and get your money back.

We're just off the Serenade OTS out of San Juan (sailed on 1/12) where we purchased a digital camera onboard.

DH and I attended the Digital Camera event held by RCCL on Sunday night (1/13) and bought the Olympus Stylus 790 SW camera for $299.95, plus another $60 in accessories. When I arrived home and decided to research the camera online, I found the deal wasn't so great after all!

Shopzilla.com lists many websites that begin at $247 (without tax and accessories). I'm irritated that RCCL would misrepresent the merchandise as a 'deal' when it really isn't.

we actually did real good on the explorer of the seas this past march. our camera was taken on the ship during the first two sea days - our fault as we left it somewhere on the ship but shame on the person who could be so mean as to take two days worth of our vacation pictures!!!!:mad: anywho, we looked in antigua and almost purchased one there for around 459.00 but decided to wait till we got home as we did have a back up camera with us. that night on the way to dinner they were having a camera sale on the promenade and we stopped to look. the same camera was there for normally 299 but on a special sale that night for 209 PLUS a free memory card worth about 40.00. turns out at home the camera was the same price as the store in antigua. didn't look on line but imagine i could have found it less than the store at home and in antigua but probably not as good of a deal as on the ship. i guess the gods were smiling down on us and felt bad since someone stole our camera. :) it's an olympus and i think 8 megapixels and water proof for underwater snorkeling, etc. so we are thrilled with it. sorry your luck wasn't as good. :(

The official Olympus web site lists suggested retail at $299. How could you possibly feel duped? You were not forced to buy the camera. You were not prevented from doing your research. You were not prevented from checking prices at the other stops on your itinerary (which you state are the only prices he said you could not beat). They are there to sell you stuff. That is how they make money. I know I may sound harsh here but I really do not see where RCCL has done anything wrong in this situation.

What they consider a "deal" is often quite funny.. You can, however, get some decent deals in port on nice digital cameras with some free accessories. But in the end you would probably still be better off by just getting one a Walmart.

When I bought my camera onboard, I did a little research on-line while cruising to compare prices before buying. At .50 a minute it was worth a few dollars to ensure the price was a good one.

Beware of cameras bought on the internet, some are "Gray Market" cameras. These cameras have an international warranty, not a US. They are harder to get service if you need it. Some camera manufacturers give you a hard time if the camera doesn't have a US warranty, they have you send the camera to Japan! So maybe the $247 camera was a gray market one.

Archived