Rough Seas on Mexican Riviera cruise?

Cessna140

Hi,

We are in the process of booking our first Mexican Riviera cruise. We have cruised many times to the Caribbean and have never had a problem with seasickness. TA advises me that this may be different on the Pacific side. Has anyone had experience with this? We will be sailing in January.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nancy

where will you be sailing FROM?....................they may make a difference. I think like everything else, nature is nature, can't tell from the past what will happen but......we sailed out of San Francisco the beginning of March........smooth all the way down and a little bumpy out of S.F. the last full day back. Nothing to be concerned about at all. Sailing out of LA, should be even smoother.........great trip, hope you are going to be seeing our great San Francisco....:D

We did a 7 day on the Sea Princess in January of 2002. Everything was calm and great until the trip back between Cabo and LA. The 12-14 foot seas were noticeable and my wife was pretty sick.

I got sick as well, but I really think it was some bad food from the night before. But after sucking down some ginger and bitters, it was bearable.

It did make us rethink our Hawaii/open water cruising plans.

On the other hand, the Island Princess, this year in April, on a Panama Canal cruise, had a wave break and splash water on the windows of the Horizon Court, so the Caribbean is not that calm either.

have been on the mexico run before and several caribbean and one alaska.

Definitely the roughest waters that I've experienced were the waters leaving

Cabo until we got to L.A.

I've never been seasick before until that sailing, and I felt queasy, not completely ill.

I've heard others say that the northbound pacific waters are rough.

However, I did not have any problems in the northbound pacific alaska run,

only the Cabo to L.A.

Just want to add something, our trip down in March was on Celebrity Mercury which is a much smaller ship then many of "our" Princess vessels. Our TA had done the trip a few weeks before us (also on Merc.) and she is a devote Princess sailor but was on a TA seminar trip. She HATED the way the ship rode the waves, said it was the worst sailing she had been on to date. Above I wrote I thought the LA down was much smoother than out of SF and now reading all of the responses.....??

I guess we just got lucky. NOW, I know it isn't January but I will keep this post in mind when we are leaving San Francisco in 15 days to sail Sapphire to Mexico...LOL..:D

Bottom line, is there really any way to tell?..................

I have done the Mexican Rivera cruise twice roundtrip out of LA. The only real movement was (as other posters explained) the northbound from Cabo back to LA. But it was not that bad. And I don't like rough waters!!

This year I was on the Caribbean Princess on an eastern Caribbean cruise and that was the worst I have ever experienced. This was prior to hurricane season - but there was a severe rain storm in the area. Boy were we moving up and down!!! :eek:

Sailing north on the PacificCoast is sailing against the current, so the propensity for a rougher ride is there. A lot depends on the ship and how well it rides…we had pretty heavy seas when we did a Regal Princess Panama Canal cruise to Los Angeles, and didn’t feel much of anything.

As Cat says…you never can tell…

I would also like to add that we were in the very back of the ship and

maybe that's why we felt the movement more.

The seas weren't very high at all though, (4 to 7 feet -- probably more like 4 feet) and the movement was very pronounced still.

I'll post an update when I get back from the Mexico run in a couple of weeks.

Apparently it wasn't all that bad because I'm going again!

Sea state always a crapshoot in my opinion. I have sailed that route several times, and it has been anything from dead calm to 30 foot seas.

That said, I agree with BDJam. Often bumpier Northbound along the Left Coast than Southbound - the Japanese Current flows South along the Pacific Coast, so when going North, you are "bucking" the current.

We did this cruise in Feb. 2000 on RCCL. It was very not a smooth crusie on any of the sea days. In fact it was so windy and cold we could not go on deck any of the sea days, one day they closed the outside decks because it was so windy it was not safe to be out on deck. We would not do this cruise again for that reason. We love the sea days so for us this cruise was our least favorite. It may have been a freak thing but we asked some of the crew and they said it is like that alot of the time on the pacific side.

I did the Mexican Riviera in April on Carnival and I, too, had a rough ride going from Cabo back to L.A. Our romm was on the very back of the ship and our room, shaked, rattled and rolled. Was hard for me to sleep at night. I had to leave our room during the day and go mid-ship because I could not take the motion. Even my friend who sailed with us who had a room mid ship, lower deck, was not feeling up to par. We also left Cabo a little late because we actually waited for someone so I think we were hauling butt back which probably contributed to the motion. Other than that, it was smooth sailing!

Archived