Oceana Help for 1st time Cruisers

Cymru am Byth

Hello Peeps,

Brand Newbies here and 1st timers for a Cruise

We're off on the Oceana in Nov for a Caribbean cruise and for a holiday we consider a once in a lifetime ...

My wife and i want to get the very best out of our cruise, and as im completely ignorant (to cruising that is!!!) i have loads of requests for advice about the ship, the cruise and how to get the best out of our brief visits to the various 'islands'

But i guess for now,the 1st ask for help is ...can anyone give us some good tips or pointers on how to best enjoy the food/culinary experience on offer on board for the 14 days or so

Thanks loads in anticipation ...

Smiles

Hello Peeps,

But i guess for now,the 1st ask for help is ...can anyone give us some good tips or pointers on how to best enjoy the food/culinary experience on offer on board for the 14 days or so

Smiles

You should consider that the ship is your destination, not necessarily the ports visited, so don't feel compelled to get off the ship for the whole day. The ship still functions with bars and restaurants open and you will find the ship a lot quieter with many people ashore, so you can sit back and relax and enjoy the faclities of the ship.

Remember also that the main restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea as well as the main evening meal so if you want waiter service, go there rather than using the self service. There is no extra cost and they do serve light alternatives if requires.

There are always many taxis available at the docks on the islands, so if you want to do your own thing it is often cheaper than going on the ships excursions, especially if you join up and fill a taxi. US dollars are accepted everywhere, although you may get change in local currency, so it is best to have lots of small denomination bills.

You will not see your luggage from checking it in at your local airport until it appears in your cabin so you need to think what you need in your hand baggage bearing in mind all the rules. The same on the way back. Arriving in Barbados, you get straight into a mini bus on the tarmac without going through the terminal and then straight to the ship, which takes around 45mins

A word of warning, cruising can become addictive and seriously damage your wealth. Enjoy

Brian

cymru am byth

as Brian said its very addictive we went on our first last may booked for this year day after we got home so beware.

if you go on p&o cruise site and ask them on theer owt you want you'll get all your question's answered.

personally i whish i had discovered cruising earlier,hope you have a good one.

happy cruising

Hello Peeps,

We're off on the Oceana in Nov for a Caribbean cruise and for a holiday we consider a once in a lifetime ...

My wife and i want to get the very best out of our cruise, and as im completely ignorant (to cruising that is!!!) i have loads of requests for advice about the ship, the cruise and how to get the best out of our brief visits to the various 'islands'

Smiles

Cymru am byth,

If you are interested in receiving copies of menu's from a cruise on Oceana then please contact me via my email address and I will be happy to send you some.

My email address is

fiona_rolls@hotmail.co.uk

Feebee_71 :)

Pace yourself!! Don't feel you have to eat everything at every meal. I tend to eat the same amount of food but choose dishes I wouldn't have at home. There is an awful lot of food on offer so be prepared to put some weight on - most of us start our pre-cruise diet, cruise, then start the post-cruise diet!! However, a few laps of the promenade deck should help to keep it off, plus the deck quoits, shuffleboard, tours, gym, spa..........

Hi there

It is like a huge floating hotel, with several restaurants, bars, various entertainments and all paid for (except your alcohol), so take advantage of it all.

I would suggest eat in the restaurant allocated to you and try different ones for breakfasts - avoid the buffet off the deck, especially at breakfast, - its a bit like Marks & Spencer on a bad day!. Pay a little extra one night and dine elsewhere.

Take afternoon tea in the allocated restaurant and always have a look at the deck barbecues.

The shows are pretty good either before or after dinner and there are a number of bars for the same.

Pizza is good for a late night snack. You may find second sitting better for a caribbean cruise, then you are not rushing to get ready for early sitting. You also have time for a drink prior to dinner.

Order your wine for the night after, the night before (they will show you a menu if you need to be fancy about it) and it will be waiting at your table, which saves a lot of time. (one cruise we worked through the wine list between four of us and scored them out of 10!! There is a good selection). If you don't drink the bottle, it will be there for you the next evening.

Room service menu is in the room and there is no extra charge. We always have horlicks!!!:eek: (the only time we drink it) before bed.

Tea and coffee making facilities are in the cabin and the biscuits are delicious, hide them if you don't eat them and they replenish them throughout the day! We take them with us for the day as snacks for our daughter. I you want ice, tell your cabin steward and he will top up the ice bucket, otherwise he may not do it.

Have breakfast on your balcony at least once, or in your cabin if no balcony this is particulary good on a sea day.

Don't try and cram in all the trips, they can be expensive and you are just as able to do them yourself via a local cabbie - don't be frightened to strike out on your own - you can do an island quicker and see more than on a coach with 30 others who all want to 'wee' at the same time!!! We would go for a wander, then back to the ship and have the whole pool to ourselves!

There are some excellent threads on here as to specific islands and ports, the Americans particularly have it all sown up, so have do a search and make notes.

Like the others said. Once you have done it, you will do it again - most of all, have the most fantastic time.

Kate

Hello Peeps,

Smiles

WE went for a once in a lifetime cruise:). Now look at our list below:(

'Once in a lifetime cruise', does not say, what it means, on the tin.

:) Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

You should consider that the ship is your destination, not necessarily the ports visited, so don't feel compelled to get off the ship for the whole day. The ship still functions with bars and restaurants open and you will find the ship a lot quieter with many people ashore, so you can sit back and relax and enjoy the faclities of the ship.

Remember also that the main restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea as well as the main evening meal so if you want waiter service, go there rather than using the self service. There is no extra cost and they do serve light alternatives if requires.

There are always many taxis available at the docks on the islands, so if you want to do your own thing it is often cheaper than going on the ships excursions, especially if you join up and fill a taxi. US dollars are accepted everywhere, although you may get change in local currency, so it is best to have lots of small denomination bills.

You will not see your luggage from checking it in at your local airport until it appears in your cabin so you need to think what you need in your hand baggage bearing in mind all the rules. The same on the way back. Arriving in Barbados, you get straight into a mini bus on the tarmac without going through the terminal and then straight to the ship, which takes around 45mins

A word of warning, cruising can become addictive and seriously damage your wealth. Enjoy

Brian

Brian thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts and opinions, it is very appreciated... lots of info here for us to digest over and feed our huge appetite for knowledge .. once again thank you very much indeed and very happy cruising to you too...

cymru am byth

as Brian said its very addictive we went on our first last may booked for this year day after we got home so beware.

if you go on p&o cruise site and ask them on theer owt you want you'll get all your question's answered.

personally i whish i had discovered cruising earlier,hope you have a good one.

happy cruising

Dont like to say it but Hi Old Git ...lol

I have been on the p+o site but found it quite labourious in navigating around the threads and posts, but thats probably just be me being a ludite... I think we are going to have the same opinions as you in terms of wishing we'd discovered crusing earlier... anyway thanks for the reply, its appreciated and happy cruising to you too...

Cymru am byth,

If you are interested in receiving copies of menu's from a cruise on Oceana then please contact me via my email address and I will be happy to send you some.

My email address is

fiona_rolls@hotmail.co.uk

Feebee_71 :)

Freebee,

Thank you for your reply, its very kind of you, especially for your offer to forwarding some menus... suffice to say an email is winging its way to you right now as i type ..lol! Thanks loads and happy crusing to you too ..

Pace yourself!! Don't feel you have to eat everything at every meal. I tend to eat the same amount of food but choose dishes I wouldn't have at home. There is an awful lot of food on offer so be prepared to put some weight on - most of us start our pre-cruise diet, cruise, then start the post-cruise diet!! However, a few laps of the promenade deck should help to keep it off, plus the deck quoits, shuffleboard, tours, gym, spa..........

Hey Ships Cat,

Thanks for your thoughts here, some sound advice i think ..love to jog and attempt to keep fit so i think ill be treading the deck on many occasions.. thanks for the info on other activities too, i did not know of these ..

Happy crusing to you too

Dont like to say it but Hi Old Git ...lol

I have been on the p+o site but found it quite labourious in navigating around the threads and posts, but thats probably just be me being a ludite... I think we are going to have the same opinions as you in terms of wishing we'd discovered crusing earlier... anyway thanks for the reply, its appreciated and happy cruising to you too...

Hi Cymru am Byth,

He is well used to being called an 'old git'.

I know what you mean about the CC site on P&O but if you have any specific questions then please ask either on here or there and you will get plenty of help.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Hi there

It is like a huge floating hotel, with several restaurants, bars, various entertainments and all paid for (except your alcohol), so take advantage of it all.

I would suggest eat in the restaurant allocated to you and try different ones for breakfasts - avoid the buffet off the deck, especially at breakfast, - its a bit like Marks & Spencer on a bad day!. Pay a little extra one night and dine elsewhere.

Take afternoon tea in the allocated restaurant and always have a look at the deck barbecues.

The shows are pretty good either before or after dinner and there are a number of bars for the same.

Pizza is good for a late night snack. You may find second sitting better for a caribbean cruise, then you are not rushing to get ready for early sitting. You also have time for a drink prior to dinner.

Order your wine for the night after, the night before (they will show you a menu if you need to be fancy about it) and it will be waiting at your table, which saves a lot of time. (one cruise we worked through the wine list between four of us and scored them out of 10!! There is a good selection). If you don't drink the bottle, it will be there for you the next evening.

Room service menu is in the room and there is no extra charge. We always have horlicks!!!:eek: (the only time we drink it) before bed.

Tea and coffee making facilities are in the cabin and the biscuits are delicious, hide them if you don't eat them and they replenish them throughout the day! We take them with us for the day as snacks for our daughter. I you want ice, tell your cabin steward and he will top up the ice bucket, otherwise he may not do it.

Have breakfast on your balcony at least once, or in your cabin if no balcony this is particulary good on a sea day.

Don't try and cram in all the trips, they can be expensive and you are just as able to do them yourself via a local cabbie - don't be frightened to strike out on your own - you can do an island quicker and see more than on a coach with 30 others who all want to 'wee' at the same time!!! We would go for a wander, then back to the ship and have the whole pool to ourselves!

There are some excellent threads on here as to specific islands and ports, the Americans particularly have it all sown up, so have do a search and make notes.

Like the others said. Once you have done it, you will do it again - most of all, have the most fantastic time.

Kate

Kate,

Thank you lots for your time and effort in providing all these details on the culinary - dining front, lots for us to digest over (if you will excuse the pun) Love the idea of breakfasting on the balcony, but we have not booked one because of the cost :( , i think it was in the region of £800? extra for the fortnight!!!! but im not 100% sure

LOL great tip hiding the biscuits too ... ill certainly do my best at hiding them little 'gems'..

Thanks for all the other tips and pointers...(i think we will venture out on our own on a few of the stops too) .. they are much much appreciated and again i salute you for the time you have afforded us!!!

Happy cruising to you too Kate and smiles

Julian

WE went for a once in a lifetime cruise:). Now look at our list below:(

'Once in a lifetime cruise', does not say, what it means, on the tin.

:) Happy Cruising:)

Dai

Dai,

Thanks for the words of 'encouragement', i hope your right, i would love to cruise every year .... i'll guess ill have to work that much harder.

Thanks for your reply and sentiment, Happy cruising to you too and smiles

Julian

Hi Cymru am Byth,

He is well used to being called an 'old git'.

I know what you mean about the CC site on P&O but if you have any specific questions then please ask either on here or there and you will get plenty of help.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Hi Dai,

Seems like you know each other pretty well then!!!! lol

Yes i got pretty bored on that site rather quickly, a real pain in the stern!!! oh dear ive done it again ill have to stop these nautical puns...:D

Archived