Shopping for Rolex

jam82

Please check out the Destinations boards specific to the Caribbean or the specific islands.

That being said the Rolex watches are price protected everywhere. You may find about 10% off or a sale on an older model. What you will not have to pay is sales tax. A watch of that value will be subject to customs. And don't even give a thought to trying to evade your declaration, because if there is one thing they can spot it's a new Rolex.

Just a little hint from a former jeweler who travels the Caribbean seas.

Shop hard at home before you consider buying in a foreign port. A local dealer will take care of you if you have problems.

I bought an expensive watch at Little Switzerland in St. Thomas. It never worked properly. I have kept it as a reminder of what not to do!

As noted in a prior post, Rolex (like many other companies) regulates and price-protects the sale of its products; therefore, the discount you can get in the islands is the same discount you can get at home. The only savings you realize from buying it in the islands is not having to pay sales tax (which, just as a matter of unrelated information, no longer holds true in Aruba). You will, however, have to note the purchase on your customs declaration, since if routinely stopped and questioned, the burden of proof is not on Customs to prove the watch is new; it's on you to prove it isn't! That said, the biggest caveat is - wherever you decide to buy (at home or someplace else) be very certain you are purchasing from an authorized Rolex dealer. There are lots of places that sell Rolex but are not authorized to do so. If you purchase from anyone other than an authorized dealer, you will get an authentic Rolex, the price may be lower than you can get it elsewhere, BUT Rolex will not honor the warranty.

You can buy a rolecks I mean rolex for $125 on 5th ave in NYC and it is guaranteed to appraise at half that.I BOUGHT ONE IN Grand Cayman and saved a few bucks and wore it thru customs.It required service and my jeweler sent it out and Rolex fixed it and I got it back in 3 months. Then the jeweler sent it out to be cleaned and that cost hundreds and took 3 months. I had it cleaned locally and it was under a $100 and took less than a week. They are high maintainence ands over priced. Yes everybody knows rolex but consider a Maurice LaCroix or some other high quality watch. Even a timex will give you the correct time. Happy shopping.

BY the way plan on $6000 for a low end rolex.

Archived