Thinking about Alaska

sexyaznboy

on Celebrity Millenium for May 19th. I'm hesitating because coming from a chilly winter in Toronto, I'm ready for warm weather. Part of the reason I love cruising is to be out on deck in the sun and warmth. Although I would love to visit Alaska, I'm worried that I'm going to need to wear coats and sweaters during most of my trip.

And plus my colleague at work tells me that going in May is going to be like winter, so why not stay at home???

Can someone sway this sunworshipper from taking that Caribbean cruise? :D

I'll try. We sailed Mercury last year the second week of June. We had uncharacteristically beautiful weather. Mid 60's (F) most days. Only one afternoon of light rain. And the scenery is breath-taking. Really amazing. It's actually nicer earlier in the season, in my mind, because many of the mountains were still snow covered, making it all that prettier to watch, photograph, etc. Took over 1400 photos.

And there really is no other way to see the Inside Passage than on a cruise ship, unless you really like to kayak:).

On all of our Alaska cruises in May the weather has been great. Insignificant amount of rain and daytime temps of 50-60 degrees F. Check my signature for sail dates.

Now there are some weeks before or after us that it rained almost every day according to the locals. We were very fortunate. There can be significant rain in June-July also.

It should be much warmer than Toronto in May.

Have a great cruise whenever you decide to go.

I have been to Alaska four times. It will be sweater weather in May. I did early May and one day you needed a coat and the next day a sweater. By the time we got to Ketchikan we were in shorts. Good news is that it was sunny the entire time.

I went back again in late May and it was fantastic. The whales were migrating and spouting on both sides of the ship. I even witnessed an orca jump out of the water- ala free willy.

I have also been to Alaska in early June and early July. In July it is summer weather. In May and June it will be sunny but not really summer- more like spring but sunny.

Alaska is a wonderful destination with scenery pretty much the entire way up the inside passage. If you have done the Caribbean- it is time to do Alaska. You aren't going to disappointed. I spent the majority of my day outside- either in port or walking the decks or in the heated pools and hot tubs. If you are outdoorsy- you are going to love Alaska.

P.S: you are going to love the Millenium. I have sailed her twice (5/05 and 7/07). Great ship.

Four-timer here too!

Even in the rain, which can happen, it is such a strikingly beautiful place that we will surely be five-timers someday!

Here are pictures from our last two:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska3004

(yeah, it's a typo...we didn't really visit there 1000 years in the future!)

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska2006

(added a 3-day land tour to Denali)

There's cold where cars deposit grey slush on the roadsides and people shuffle through it to work and then there is this:

large.jpg

Go and enjoy!

Dave

A cruise to Alaska is far different from a sun filled trip to the Caribbean. We have been to the Caribbean many times, and are scheduled to go back in a few weeks. We also cruised to Alaksa once, and it was our favorite of all our cruises. It is an unbelievable experience. We took a float trip to Misty Fjords, a helicopter flight over a glacier with a landing, a whale watching trip, etc. Was the weather nice? Well, no. It rained a lot (it is in rain forest!) but that didnt detract at all from the experience. We loved it so much that we are going back there (on the Millie) this coming September.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Four-timer here too!

Even in the rain, which can happen, it is such a strikingly beautiful place that we will surely be five-timers someday!

Here are pictures from our last two:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska3004

(yeah, it's a typo...we didn't really visit there 1000 years in the future!)

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska2006

(added a 3-day land tour to Denali)

There's cold where cars deposit grey slush on the roadsides and people shuffle through it to work and then there is this:

large.jpg

Go and enjoy!

Dave

That is one of the greatest pictures I have ever seen. I am heading to Alaska in late June on the Millennium for what I am sure will be one of the great weeks of my life.

Thanks again.

Archived