Tipping on board

Jane1614

I don't tip individuals but I always make a donation to the crew fund at the end of the cruise as it benefits all crew and staff members. Most SD regulars that I know do the same... it's a gesture that all the crew appreciates. I believe that they do know who makes contributions though I don't think the amount contributed is disclosed to them.

Mrs. ctbjr and I have just voted. Will be interesting to see how things play out.

We have no cruise plans before November and that is particularly painful since I have a very large group of friends currently on board SD1 who seem to take great pleasure in phoning and emailing me. I also spoke by phone just yesterday with SD's best sales person.

We might be convinced to do something between now and November but due to certain scheduling issues can't decide for at least a week or two. If your inquiry is anything other than simply for the sake of curiosity, please email me at your leisure and we can discuss further.

I don't tip individuals but I always make a donation to the crew fund at the end of the cruise as it benefits all crew and staff members. Most SD regulars that I know do the same... it's a gesture that all the crew appreciates. I believe that they do know who makes contributions though I don't think the amount contributed is disclosed to them.

They must not "advertise" the crew fund because we knew nothing about it at the end of our first voyage. We'll make sure we know how to contribute to it at the end of our upcoming voyage. :)

Actually, I believe they mention the Crew Welfare Fund in the materials in each stateroom. I believe that they intentionally don't make a big deal out of it as they don't want to appear to be soliciting tips for employees. It's easy to donate. Just ask at the Concierge desk on Deck 3 and they'll fill out a form, ask you to sign and indicate how much you want to donate and the charge will appear on your bill when you depart.

Actually, I believe they mention the Crew Welfare Fund in the materials in each stateroom. I believe that they intentionally don't make a big deal out of it as they don't want to appear to be soliciting tips for employees. It's easy to donate. Just ask at the Concierge desk on Deck 3 and they'll fill out a form, ask you to sign and indicate how much you want to donate and the charge will appear on your bill when you depart.

Thank you, ctbjr1309. I'll be sure to stop by the Concierge desk before we disembark in April. The crew is certainly deserving, arent' they?

Just to add my two cents on this topic. SeaDream does have the policy that tipping is never required or expected. However, we do some tipping as a number of other regulars do as well, just very discretely. Generally we always tip the Hotel Manager, for us that usually means Christophe or Sean on the SDII. We also, if warranted, tip the chief bartender, our waiter, activities director and the wine sommelier. Finally we give a little something to our favorite pool waiter and Topside guys.

As regulars we feel that a number of the crew treat us especially well and get service well above what is expected. So, I would say you never should feel obligated to tip on SD, but I can tell you from experience it it always most appreciated. :)

CTBJR there is still room for you and your bride on the March 30 SDII. You can find me up at "The Library".

I think it all depends on your own feelings at the end of the cruise since there is no tipping required or solicited. Having said that, remember that some things that can negatively affect your cruise (children, bad weather, etc.) are not the crews fault so we try to base it on our interaction with crew only. Usually we put $200 (or a bit more if our cash has held out) in an envelope and leave it with the Concierge. Some will give more, some less, some none. On our first SD cruise we left none because we didnt know about it. Later learned from past passengers and felt the crew made the cruise experience great. Hope you have a great time.

Jim.

We also tip our cabin attendant, usually when we board and/or near departure, since I make some requests re amenities, stocking the mini-bar, a cheese plate at night, and always find my clothes and toiletries neatly arranged no matter how big a mess I leave the room for the day or for dinner.

Having cruised with TOYBAR, I can honestly say I don't believe it changes one bit the service you receive if you don't tip. SD communication that tipping is included is very true.

FT

Archived