Cropped pants for casual evening dining?

JosieJeangirl

I am just thinking Cavier Gal may be talking about the shorter capris-and we may not actually disagree with her.

I was actually talking about capri length in cotton/khaki or similar. IMO, they are too casual for the dining room but I have seen them worn with a tee and sandals or flip flops on NCL, Carnival and RCI.

I agree with Jane that it is a rare woman that looks good in capris. Eve Longoria type bodies would look cute - as she does in everything - but IMO they are almost universally unflattering.

An ankle pant in silk shantung or similar dressy fabric can look very nice on many body types and I have seen some very pretty outfits of this type worn on cruises.

And I do find that some lines are dressier than others.:)

I was actually talking about capri length in cotton/khaki or similar. IMO, they are too casual for the dining room but I have seen them worn with a tee and sandals or flip flops on NCL, Carnival and RCI.

I agree with Jane that it is a rare woman that looks good in capris. Eve Longoria type bodies would look cute - as she does in everything - but IMO they are almost universally unflattering.

An ankle pant in silk shantung or similar dressy fabric can look very nice on many body types and I have seen some very pretty outfits of this type worn on cruises.

And I do find that some lines are dressier than others.:)

I don't think I look great in them but then I don't look great in anything. I do though look much better in capris then I do shorts. I used to look good in skorts-but unfortunately with the weight gain-my legs are not only purply from veins-but the shape is not so good anymore either, so skorts ae not a good thing for me to wear.

Capris make a woman's butt look bigger and since I am so big around my midsection-I need that. On a young woman with lots of hips and a tiny waist-capris are the worse thing she could wear.

but back to the subject, the capri length I am thinking of I would not wear to dinner-cropped pants yes-but never capris.

Whoever designed those idiotic baggie pants that come just to the ankle should be shot!!They are highly unflattering and make us look like we're preparing for the second flood. I came home from Talbot's this morning and their new spring line is filled with these pants...I wonder if their buyers actually wear them??

I have a few matching linen mix capri outfits(well cut pants to just below the knee) and with good leather sandal pumps and tasteful jewellery they fit in quite nicely on any other night in the dining room other than formal night.

Whoever designed those idiotic baggie pants that come just to the ankle should be shot!!They are highly unflattering and make us look like we're preparing for the second flood. I came home from Talbot's this morning and their new spring line is filled with these pants...I wonder if their buyers actually wear them??

I have a few matching linen mix capri outfits(well cut pants to just below the knee) and with good leather sandal pumps and tasteful jewellery they fit in quite nicely on any other night in the dining room other than formal night.

You are right-those do not look good on anyone.

If I wear a pant cropped just above the ankle-it is fitted and straight legged-and I also wear heels with it-as that style of pants tends to shorten you and make you look dumpy if you wear an ankle cropped pant with flats.

On of my favoritie outfits I had in linen (no longer have-I donated it a couple of years back) was that length on me and I wore it to dinner on Carnival Miracle. I am 5'4". I saw a gal in the same pantsuit and hers hit just below the knee but she was at least 6' tall.

I know she probally had trouble finding things long enough for her body-but she would have done better to go to the tall department-as the the outfit looked as though it was too short for her-as it was.

I don't think I look great in them but then I don't look great in anything. I do though look much better in capris then I do shorts.

Most women over the age of 35 don't look well in shorts, (no flames please! MANY do look great, but MOST don't!) and I agree with you that capri's are a good alternative to shorts for a casual, beachy look.

Capris make a woman's butt look bigger and since I am so big around my midsection-I need that. On a young woman with lots of hips and a tiny waist-capris are the worse thing she could wear.

That's me, tiny waist, big butt. The last thing I'd ever put on is a pair of cropped pants! And you're right, women with wide waists and small butts look much better in them. I just still don't get why anyone would want to make their legs look shorter.

Most women over the age of 35 don't look well in shorts, (no flames please! MANY do look great, but MOST don't!) and I agree with you that capri's are a good alternative to shorts for a casual, beachy look.

That's me, tiny waist, big butt. The last thing I'd ever put on is a pair of cropped pants! And you're right, women with wide waists and small butts look much better in them. I just still don't get why anyone would want to make their legs look shorter.

I had a tiny waist and big butt 25 years ago-my waist used to be 13 inches smaller then my hips and I HATED my big butt! Now I wish I had it back and I make my butt look bigger on purpose by my clothing choices!

If my butt looks bigger, my gutt looks smaller!

I think everyone should dress to their body types- all of us need to realize that we will not look good in every style-just because we may like a fad or style-does not mean it will look good on us.

I have always found it amazing how just by the clothing a woman wears she can look either much bigger then she really is or much smaller then she really is.

Here is a classic scene from a movie of a young woman in capris who shouldn't be wearing them.

Grease-with Olivia Newton John and John Travolta. Look at the scene where the gal starts the drag race. She has the big butt and little waist, and she looked huge-whereas in the other scenes of the movie she appeared to actually be fairly slim.

Ok I will use restraint........:cool: :p

It's amazing how many different opinions exist on this one topic..

To capri or not to capri?????????

I must confess......I have worn capris to the dining room (dont read this caviar girl:eek::eek:) and the look was "acceptable". I have a few pairs from my one of my favorite lines "Theory" and have worn them just fine.

My look consisted of my capris, well tailored in black, a snakeskin belt with a jeweled buckle; a black halter silk top, my black strappy manolos (Blahniks) and a black patent leather clutch. I complemented the look with a chanel cuff bracelet.

If this look doesnt pass muster then my response is TOOOOO stinking BAD.... I dress to impress ME first.

If ones style is out of sync for the surrounding element then so be it...

Sharon Stone once matched her then husbands white shirt with a Vera Wang skirt wining raves on the red carpet.

So in essence, its not about the item but rather how you wear it and accessorize....

P.S. I love cruising on RCCL and Carnival and as long as I look good who cares what everyone else is wearing. ;)

P.P.S. Remind me never to cruise on HAL

cruisejunkie136 - thanks for your post. I've been sitting trying to form my words carefully so as not to make this thread any more mean spirited and upitie than its already getting.

Don't swear off HAL I cruised it last November with many lovely people who wore capris. Just my observation.

As Kurbanfan stated go back and read other posts on other threads whenever you wonder about the persons post that you are reading, I do this because then I know whether to take the post with a grain of salt or not.

I'll be happily cruising on Carnival Liberty in 81 days with many pair of lovely Capris and cute dressy tops that make me feel great which at the end of the day is really all that matters.

I don't think anyone was mean spirited. It is just some consider capris more casual then for dinner. I only stated what I wear and why I choose to wear what I do.

but if it is okay to wear jeans to dinner why not? You can.

I guess one reason I feel the way I do is that I have been in them all day and so I want to wear something differant to dinner.

I have no problem wearing capris at home to restuarants like Friday's, Appleby's etc. (or my jeans)

Hi, don't think I have any pictures of mine that I can share. I have one pair of Black Crepe I bought in Dillards and another pair that is a dressy type in brown that I bought at Stein Mart and my White are more of a linen blend from Macy's. They are mid length between the knee and ankel. I have found that the dressier fabrics they are not as easy to find, atleast for me. I wear them with dressy tops. Try departments that have Resort Wear I didn't find these in sportswear departments, good luck, hunting for clothes is sometimes half the fun if yuo have enough time before you cruise :o

With my particular figure the difference in my appearance in slacks or in capris is minimal. I surely will not avoid capris to wear slacks because the minimal improvement in appearance will make no difference to me and very little difference to others.

I've seen women who chose formal attire that did not become them, but they were having a great time.

If someone wants to wear dressy crops such as silk, crepe, linen or other dressier material, let them. I can't see what possible difference a few inches of exposed leg will make. I don't see the difference between exposing that much leg in a skirt and exposing that much leg in capris.

It amazes me how much importance some folks place on pants length both for men and for women.

Archived