Caribbean Port Advice Needed

cAPS lOCK oN

We're just two months away from our cruise on SDII, and pretty excited! It's a San Juan roundtrip, with the last half in the BVIs. We've been to those islands a few times, and have an idea what we'll be doing there (snorkeling, beaches and drinks).

But the first few days are spent in Saba, Anguilla and St. Bart's, and we don't know much about them at all. Are there any things that are especially good to do on these islands? We're particularly curious about St. Bart's, since the ship overnights there.

As an aside... are the SeaDream vessels technically ships or boats?

We're just two months away from our cruise on SDII, and pretty excited! It's a San Juan roundtrip, with the last half in the BVIs. We've been to those islands a few times, and have an idea what we'll be doing there (snorkeling, beaches and drinks).

But the first few days are spent in Saba, Anguilla and St. Bart's, and we don't know much about them at all. Are there any things that are especially good to do on these islands? We're particularly curious about St. Bart's, since the ship overnights there.

As an aside... are the SeaDream vessels technically ships or boats?

Saba is a very interesting place. I am not usually one for island tours but that is a place where taking the tour might be your best bet. It is a really small island. No beaches, but great diving. We enjoyed the tour which included stops in both small towns (the Bottom and Windwardside) and at a small church near the end of the tour (Hellsgate) where we ended up buying a wonderful lace table cloth for what I thought was a great deal.

If you have not been to St. Barths you might want to rent a car and go exploring. Lots of beautiful beaches, and the island is small enough to explore in a day.

Can't give you any Anguilla advice but I bet DisneyJen chimes in soon.

Have a great time!

I agree about Saba- it is a very intersting Island tour - but it also has some good snorkeling or diving.

In Anguilla, don't make the mistake we made and venture into the midtown area - it is an expensive cab ride - and NOTHING except for cheap bars and really rundown drug stores are there. The water around Anguilla is amazing - take that day to do water sports from the aft deck. You might also want to go to Cuisinart for a cooking class.

St. Barts is one of my favorite ports. There is great (and expensive ) shopping right as you get off the tender. You can also rent a car right as you step off the tender and do an self guided island tour. We went to a fascinating butterfly farm on the island. There is another fun shopping/dining area by the airport. Sitting at one of the bars and watching planes come in is an adventure in its own right!

Surfklutz is right about the town center in Anguilla but we went to one of the best beaches seen so far, Shoal Bay East. A short cab ride away (small island) and the water was perfect. Also, nice beach bars close by. In St. Barts, Shell Beach is a short walk from the tender dock and there are many good bars/restaurants near the harbor where you will see some of the worlds largest yachts. Bring Euros or lots of Dollars.

Jim.

Jim and Surfklutz are right on about Shoal Bay East and the Cuisinart Resort. The grounds at Cuisinart are beautiful ... it's a lovely place to have lunch. Uncle Ernie's Beach Bar and BBQ is the one I remember at Shoal Bay East.

We have rented a car on St. Barts and driven around the island. We like to pull over and spend some time on the beach ... we pack our beach bag, stop along the way for some and/or beers and snacks to enjoy on the beach. This year we are going to try Shell Beach ... or at least that is the plan at this point:D

The shopping and yacht-watching in Gustavia is incredible ... very chic-chic ... very expensive. The restaurant at the Carl Gustaf Hotel is supposed to be very good although we have never made it there. The view is of the harbor and supposed to be lovely.

SD's vessels are technically ships because of their size (length and tonnage) and their ability to carry other vessels that are in ready-to-use conditions (lifeboats).

Jim and Surfklutz are right on about Shoal Bay East and the Cuisinart Resort. The grounds at Cuisinart are beautiful ... it's a lovely place to have lunch. Uncle Ernie's Beach Bar and BBQ is the one I remember at Shoal Bay East.

We have rented a car on St. Barts and driven around the island. We like to pull over and spend some time on the beach ... we pack our beach bag, stop along the way for some and/or beers and snacks to enjoy on the beach. This year we are going to try Shell Beach ... or at least that is the plan at this point:D

The shopping and yacht-watching in Gustavia is incredible ... very chic-chic ... very expensive. The restaurant at the Carl Gustaf Hotel is supposed to be very good although we have never made it there. The view is of the harbor and supposed to be lovely.

SD's vessels are technically ships because of their size (length and tonnage) and their ability to carry other vessels that are in ready-to-use conditions (lifeboats).

Hey Jen and Jim and CBTJR

Has FT talked you into joining us in March 09?

I am excited about Anguilla and Anegada, and St. Barth's is always fun. Shell beach is a close place and surprisingly good snorkeling. Nice beach bar too!

I am excited about Anguilla and Anegada, and St. Barth's is always fun. Shell beach is a close place and surprisingly good snorkeling. Nice beach bar too!

Not yet. I happen to be a very big fan of Anegada lobsters too, not to mention a nice cold beer at Le Select on St. Barts on a Wednesday morning. I'll be standing by the computer, awaiting the email from FT...

Not yet. I happen to be a very big fan of Anegada lobsters too, not to mention a nice cold beer at Le Select on St. Barts on a Wednesday morning. I'll be standing by the computer, awaiting the email from FT...

We love the beer & burgers at Le Select. Seems a long time since we were there in December. Must book another soon!

Jim.

I've been to Anguilla quite a few times, and know the island well. I can answer your questions. How long do you have there? You might want to Taxi to Shoal Bay WEST to Trattoria Tramonto. A very nice italian restaurant smack on the beach. Nothing else around. Its casual, and if you have lunch there you can use their chairs on the beach and spend the afternoon. There is no shopping to speak of in Anguilla. There are beautiful beaches spread all around the island. Shoal Bay EAST would be a further ride, but its a little more busy, and there are several beach bars, and a few restaurants. Cuisinart is ok, but its a hotel resort, and very resorty, if you like that sort of thing. Anguilla is not developed like other islands, although much building is taking place currently.

FT has talked to DH and me about joining you ... we plan on booking when we are on SD1 in 7 weeks (have to get that 5-percent discount):D

I've been to Anguilla quite a few times, and know the island well. I can answer your questions. How long do you have there? You might want to Taxi to Shoal Bay WEST to Trattoria Tramonto. A very nice italian restaurant smack on the beach. Nothing else around. Its casual, and if you have lunch there you can use their chairs on the beach and spend the afternoon. There is no shopping to speak of in Anguilla. There are beautiful beaches spread all around the island. Shoal Bay EAST would be a further ride, but its a little more busy, and there are several beach bars, and a few restaurants. Cuisinart is ok, but its a hotel resort, and very resorty, if you like that sort of thing. Anguilla is not developed like other islands, although much building is taking place currently.
We're there from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM. ANd BTW, I'm okay with no shopping! My wife may not be OK with it, but she doesn't post here. :p

To Caps locks on...Anguilla is a very spread out island, so you won't go to one center of the island and find all the fun. Its mostly beach relaxation and good food and drink. If you want to email me privately, let me know.

Archived