Buying Jewelry

I would like to purchase some jewelry in St. Thomas. I know that you don't pay the suggested price on the item and that you need to barter them down. Is there some suggestions on how to do this properly? Do you start at half the price? or suggest a lower than half price. I know I will be real nervous to do this, but with your suggestions, I know I can do it. Thanks all.

Hello!

Yes, you can definately bargin. I would suggest starting by doing your homework - know what you want and what you would consider a great deal. I would start below that $ and hope to get close to the rate you want.

I do see that you are going on Serenade and I assume your cruise includes St Martin. We found shopping to be better in St Martin than St Thomas. People were more open to bargining and not so high pressure.

Also, many stores offer a discount if you pay for some/all of your purchase with cash. Do this with caution because your CC should help back up your purchase but can make a difference.

There are a lot of stores to choose from. Enjoy yourself.

You shouldn't feel nervous........the jewelry salespeople on the islands expect you to bargain with them.

I suggest that you shop around, too, since many stores carry the same merchandise and the prices may be different from store to store.

I also recommend the old trick of not acting to excited about an item, and walking out the door. Most times they'll call you back with a lower price.

One more thing....I've found that the deals are better when there are fewer ships in port.

We have purchased a considerable amount of pieces in St. Thomas over the last 4 years and have get great success. We have a jeweller appraiser at home and generally on our return it is valued between 5 and 8 times our purchase price. We have also had pieces that needed repair and have sent them back and they've been repaired and returned at no cost.

The jeweller is AJANTAS in Drakes Alley. Ask for Sakita and tell her Tina sent you. We'll be on the Jewel Feb. 3-17 B2B and will be seeing her again then. I have no qualms about recommending them.

We also like St. Maarten better than St. Thomas for Jewelry...There are several stores on Front street that will give you a wonderful deal...Just remember that gold is over 900.00 right now so know your prices before you get to the islands...Later, Jill:cool:

We have purchased a considerable amount of pieces in St. Thomas over the last 4 years and have get great success. We have a jeweller appraiser at home and generally on our return it is valued between 5 and 8 times our purchase price. We have also had pieces that needed repair and have sent them back and they've been repaired and returned at no cost.

The jeweller is AJANTAS in Drakes Alley. Ask for Sakita and tell her Tina sent you. We'll be on the Jewel Feb. 3-17 B2B and will be seeing her again then. I have no qualms about recommending them.

I completely agree with you. DW and I were given the Ajanta's card from a travel agent friend of mine. DW needed to find a new set of Tanzanite Earrings to replace the one she lost on a business trip. We dealt with Jack and he made us a fantastic deal. Of course after making the deal he offered me a beer, something I'm not used to drinking at 10:30 in the morning :) For the OP, definitely go see these nice people! If Sakita isn't there, ask for Jack and tell him Warren and Yvonne sent you in :)

One more thing....I've found that the deals are better when there are fewer ships in port.

I was going to say the same thing!

Also, I know on some of the islands they're very superstitious about making a sale with the first customer of the day and consider it bad luck if you walk... not sure if this is the way in St. Thomas.

Having said that,,, i've walked away and the lady tracked me down on the next block wanting to re-negotiate.

Good luck, and as others have said- know your prices before you go!

I agree with the previous poster who said to shop around and get a feel for pricing. We liked the stores in St Martin, and found great deals. We found it is beneficial to shop in twos, when you both want the same type of jewelry you can get a 2-fer at a better deal than just buying one piece. I am talking about silver type and costume jewelry, not gold....I bought a silver slide for my omega necklace with a large amethyst stone and caribbean topaz....Had a lot of fun shopping and came away with some :D terrific bargains.:)

Archived