Best stop to shop for silver

grumpycajun

I'll be on the Spirit departing New Orleans on Feb. 10th

We did the same itinerary last year on the Sun, except that Roatan has been substituted for Costa Maya. The other stops are Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. We didn't shop for silver last year, but I will probably be on the lookout for a few things this time around. I can't remember which stop was most recommended last year, so if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. I do remember being told to be careful where you buy and to look for a certain mark or stamp to help judge quality. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Guest Anorak33

After World War II, with the rising popularity of silver jewelry and objects made in Taxco, Mexico, the Mexican government issued an assay mark guaranteeing the fineness to be 925 or higher. This mark is referred to as the “spread eagle” mark. The original mark did look like an eagle, but with modifications over the years, the mark was simplified. The number inside the mark is a workshop or city designation. In 1979, this mark was abandoned in favor of a series of registry letters and numbers assigned to individuals and workshops.

What you are looking for is 2 letters, a dash, 2 numbers. This should guarantee sterling quality.

The first letter is probably a T,G,M or C. That is the location of the silversmith.

The second letter is the initial of the family name of the silversmith.

The 2 numbers are the number of that silversmith with the same letter of his family name to register a mark in that city's assay office.

So ML-23 would be made in Mexico City, and by the 23rd silversmith with the family name Lopez to register at the assay office.

However if they can fake up vi- agra the silver can't be hard to do either...............

But at any port shop for silver to enjoy yourself, but be sure that it is marked "925" which means it is 92.5% silver.

I'll be on the Spirit departing New Orleans on Feb. 10th

We did the same itinerary last year on the Sun, except that Roatan has been substituted for Costa Maya. The other stops are Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. We didn't shop for silver last year, but I will probably be on the lookout for a few things this time around. I can't remember which stop was most recommended last year, so if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. I do remember being told to be careful where you buy and to look for a certain mark or stamp to help judge quality. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Archived