St. Thomas - best/worst shore excursion?

micmacmissy

Hi again...

Sorry to keep posting shore excursion questions on the X board, but the majority of the people on the excursion board are talking about Carnival or RCI excursions that don't pertain to us...

I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on Magen's Bay Beach, the catamaran sail & snorkel, or the turtle cove shore excursions.

thanks!

Hi again...

Sorry to keep posting shore excursion questions on the X board, but the majority of the people on the excursion board are talking about Carnival or RCI excursions that don't pertain to us...

I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on Magen's Bay Beach, the catamaran sail & snorkel, or the turtle cove shore excursions.

thanks!

I took the BOB excursion (Breathing Observation Bubble) which now is called the Boss excursion. Bascially you go out on a boat and they have scooters that your drive underwater. You go 15 or so feet deep. There is also some snorkeling and other water time. One of the best excursions I ever went on.

I've taken the private sail and snorkel tour twice now. There are no more than six people on each boat and the boats are privately owned and privately maintained. The six people means that the Captain has a six-pack license from the US Coast Guard.

Both boats were older than my own 45 foot cutter - and in much worse shape. Both had been through multiple year live aboard cruises and the owners ran out of money in the USVI. The outsides were nice and sailable, but the insides were not up to my own boat standards - didn't detract from the tour.

I really enjoyed the trade wind sail to Turtle Island where we grabbed a mooring. Neither time was I forced to wear a life jacket, but they were available if I wanted one. The first trip, the owner's wife snorkeled with us for about 45 minutes and led us on a tour - saw a sunken cannon, many fishies, coral, took underwater pictures of us, etc. On the second trip, we moored on the other side of the island and saw a ship wreck. The owner's daughter swam with us for the first few minutes, but I went out on my own for the rest of the time.

Pros of this excursion - you are picked up at the ship, after a short walk and dinghy ride, you are on a private boat. No big crowds, no bus ride. No bumping into people while you snorkel. No forced lifejacket wearing. Both boats provided light snacks (cheese and crackers) after the snorkeling. Both times we left the harbor provided great views of our ship - Connie.

I've also done catamara sail in snorkel in other ports. I prefer this excursion because you're not climbing all over a bunch of people.

Jeri

Hi,

We sailed with Capt Pat on the Independence, we had a great day, the website is

http://www.independence44.us/

We had a great day, there will be a mx of six Pax and lunch and open bar are included.

This was one of the best tours we have done and would be sailing again only for a change in Itinary.

If you go Tell Pat that Steve from UK recommended her and pass on our regards to Ray.

The cost was $110 PP.

When in St. Thomas my family always goes to Megans Bay.

We normally take a taxi and go there ourselves. We get much more time at the beach and it is less expensive than going through the cruise line.

The beset excursion we ever did in the Caribbean, not just St. Thomas, was taking a day sail on the Winifred. http://www.sailwinifred.com/

It was an amazing time, some of the best snorkeling EVER and the fact that the captain found us a bay near St. Johns where we were the only ones, it was like having a private ocean. :)

We do Trunk's Bay. It requires a taxi ride to the ferry, then the ferry over and a taxi ride from there. Megan's Bay may be easier but Trunk's Bay and the ride there is wonderful. I agree that you should do the excursions on your on becuase it is so easy to catch a cab on your own and it is much less expensive.

If you are shopping for jewelry in St. Thomas, I highly recommend Trident Jewelers. The owner's name in Mac. I lost the card so I don't know the address but it is on the main shopping street. Our group of 13 have gone to him for years. Anything we have bought there has been appraised so much higher in the US than we paid him. Only thing is, don't take the first offer, he will come down if you wheel and deal. My hubby bought an emerald necklace there for me for $350 and it was appraised at $675 US. My friend bought diamond earrings there at $900 and they appraised at $1600. I have no financial interest in the store, just want to point cruisers in the right direction, see for yourself. Also, if you like Larimar Jewelry, as you walk out of Trident, turn left and go to the shop, the shop is on the next corner (can't remember the name again) but it is a find. Happy Cruising.

I spent a week in St Thomas last year and had a ball. Also let me add I have been all over the Caribbean and several things stand out here. BOBs now Boss mentioned was in my top 5 excursions and Magens Bay in my top 5 beaches.

If you do either forget the ship and book on your own. BOBs was 25% less and most of the people on were from the ships.

Magens Bay has some of the most wonderful blue water and white sand.

Another tip. The K Mart by the ship has a good selection of booze and the best prices in town.

My DD and I did a day trip with Godfrey last year -- prompt & efficent communications, was exactly where he said to meet him -- fabulous day and very reasonable.

The previous year I did Trunk Bay on my own. DD stayed on the ship in the kids club (she didn't want to leave). I approached the Cap'n of a local boat who was herding in the cruise ship passengers, asked him if there was room aboard (;) wink wink) and he told me to come aboard and "take care of" (as in TIP and nothing else ;) ) the crew. Hands down the BEST excursion ever and since I was with the rest of the cruise ship passengers, no worries about getting back to the ship on time as there are a lot of transfers to get there.

Archived