Wife wants -David Yurman Jewlery

NASA138

We are sailing the Valor in mid march and the wife want to shop for some David Yurman jewelry. We will be at NASA, St. Thomas and St. Martin. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Get her some ASAP!:D

Amazing how much better mood they are and what they will do when you care enough to try and make them happy!:eek:

I bought a bracelet in St Maartan the last time I was there, but I don't recall where. It's all over the place in the Caribbean. Prices are IMO, better in St Maartin than anywhere else. I thought the store in Nassau was snooty. I also like John Hardy and I went in to the Yurman store to ask if they knew where I could find Hardy and they weren't the least bit helpful. Does your wife know about Samuel B jewelry? It is solid silver with 18K gold accents and semi precious stones and many of the pieces look remarkably like Yurman, (and some don't) for a fraction of the price. I have purchased several pieces in St Martin at Shiva's. Last time I bought a drop dead gorgeous watch - braided silver with gold accents and a pale blue mother of pearl face for under $300. A similar Yurman watch was around $1,600. While I love my Yurman and Hardy pieces, I love my Samuel B because of the price - I have worn it in many jewelry stores and they think it is Yurman. The only drawback to Samuel B is it does tarnish, while the expensive stuff doesn't. Not a problem for me, I just keep it in a tarnish bag.

Definatley check the prices on the DY website and then you will know if you are getting a good deal on the pieces in the islands.

FYI - there is a DY outlet at Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall which is close to FLL and Miami. Prices are up to 50% off retail. :D

Don't settle for imitation David Yurman!! Perish the thought. I picked up some nice pieces in St. Thomas-there's a store right on Main St. I also picked up another piece in Barbados at the port shops-this piece was very reasonably priced. Salespersons were very helpful.

quote=bellagirl Don't settle for imitation David Yurman!! Perish the thought. I picked up some nice pieces in St. Thomas-there's a store right on Main St. I also picked up another piece in Barbados at the port shops-this piece was very reasonably priced. Salespersons were very helpful.

If you are referring to my post, I must take issue with you concerning my Stephen B pieces being "imitation". They are solid silver, 18K gold, have genuine gem stones and are high quality. Imitation would imply that they are a copy of Yurman and use inferior materials which is not the case. The style is similar, but Stephen B has his own designs. The price is lower simply because they don't have the expensive name to go with it. IMO, it's sort of like buying an engraved silver key fob at Tiffany's and a similar one at Macy's. Both are sterling and look similar, but the price will be significantly higher at Tiffany's. If the name is the only thing that is important, by all means buy Yurman. I was only commenting that there is a very nice alternative.

Since my wife has a relatively large collection of DY and John Hardy jewelry, I could consider myself somewhat knowledgeable.

Here is a bit of information about Yurman. David Yurman does an incredibly good job of controlling his prices. The price you pay in the US is the same in EVERY store you go into. Sometimes stores are authorized to have 10% discounts for special events, usually annually, like our local stores Christmas event. Very rarely, you will find a special discount, usually on a discontinued item.

However, in the Caribbean, all the stores can discount 10% off Yurman's list price. Plus you don't pay sales tax (if you're like us and live in Delaware where we don't have sales tax).

The other advantage of the Caribbean stores is that they tend to carry a much more extensive inventory of product, which makes the selection better, but also prompts you to buy more, which my wife likes but my credit card doesn't.

Don't even bother trying to haggle with the stores about the price. Yurman is ruthless and regularly sends "secret shoppers" to find discounters. If they are caught, Yurman pulls the product immediately.

Also, you don't pay duty on the items because they are US origin and are being returned to the US.

As for stores: in St. Thomas, AH Riise in downtown has a great selection, in St. Maarten, Kay jewelers dockside is good, and Artistic in town has a good selection.

As for a negotiating ploy, remember this. The stores can't negotiate on Yurman and they are making a good profit on Yurman merchandise. Therefore, if you buy Yurman and some other non-Yurman items in the same store, you can really work them hard on the "total" price, because they have extra profit in the Yurman that makes up for losses on the other items.

Enjoy and have fun.

We just returned from St. Thomas and Nassau. Did some DY shopping in St. Thomas and my daughters each bought bracelets there; with the discounts, the bracelets were just over $300 each. They saved 10% (DY won't allow any more than this) plus there was no sales tax. When we priced the same items in Nassau, the lady couldn't match the St. Thomas prices -- so the girls did ok. We were told the same thing by our cruise shopping adviser -- buy Yurman in St. Thomas. I even tried to use his VIP card in St. Thomas but it didn't help -- no negotiating if you are buying DY.

It has been several years since we have been in these ports. There didn't seem to be as many "deals" as I remembered. Guess the rising price of gold and silver is making a difference there too.

mek-I apologize if you took my remarks to be directed at you. They weren't-I know nothing about the jewellery you were referring to,and I'm sorry if I implied that I did. I was just following my daughter's advice when I was wavering whether to spend the money on DY jewellery. She told me,if you want David Yurman,don't settle for less!! That's been my motto ever since.

Shelly

I bought a bracelet in St Maartan the last time I was there, but I don't recall where. It's all over the place in the Caribbean. Prices are IMO, better in St Maartin than anywhere else.

I agree with this poster. I got a great deal in St, martin on a David Yurman Ring...Check your prices before you leave. At least you save the tax.

I bought a bracelet in St Maartan the last time I was there, but I don't recall where. It's all over the place in the Caribbean. Prices are IMO, better in St Maartin than anywhere else.

I agree with this poster. I got a great deal in St, martin on a David Yurman Ring...Check your prices before you leave. At least you save the tax.

quote=bellagirl mek-I apologize if you took my remarks to be directed at you. They weren't-I know nothing about the jewellery you were referring to,and I'm sorry if I implied that I did. I was just following my daughter's advice when I was wavering whether to spend the money on DY jewellery. She told me,if you want David Yurman,don't settle for less!! That's been my motto ever since.

Shelly

No problem. I understand perfectly, if you want Yurman, that's what you should buy. I love, love ,love jewelry. My office is in my home and I keep the TV on during the day, just for noise. I enjoy watching QVC and HSN when they have jewelry on. Judith Ripka has some beautiful pieces for sale on TV, if you are a fan of that style.

Archived