International Flight Policy - Can you change to an earlier day?

happy cruzer

I have a strange, what if kinda question.

Several times on domestic flights I have been at the airport many hours early and been put on an earlier flight at no charge.

Now I wonder how it would work on an international flight. I know there are fewer flights but if there one a day earlier or 1/2 day earlier would they let you go early (standby?)? Is there a typical charge if they do charge?

Thanks.

Depends on many factors:

- the airline you are flying

- the counter agent you are dealing with that day

- the load factor on the flight

- the lunar cycle

(ok, I added the last one in for laughs, but sometimes it does seem that the lunar cycle has something to do with things working out.)

You may want to shuffle over to FlyerTalker.com and post this question in the appropriate airline specific forum to get some first hand points-of-views from the seasoned frequent flyers.

You may want to shuffle over to FlyerTalker.com and post this question in the appropriate airline specific forum to get some first hand points-of-views from the seasoned frequent flyers.

I will modestly decline the compliment....I don't have my own website. :D

What you would want is FlyerTalk.com.

International standby is complicated by positive bag matching on your luggage, as well as cross-checks with various security listings. I'd rate your chances of going the prior day, at no additional charge, as close to nil. However, if your flight looks to be way overbooked, they might be willing to have you go "early", rather than have them looking for volunteers on the day of departure. That is also a not-so-likely event.

What airline? Sometime carriers have same-day changes for small fees. I know that DL allows for changes when a bunch of conditions are met, but their definition of "same day" is same calendar day, not within the prior 24 hours.

The flight is on Delta, BCN to Atlanta. I would just like to know if it might be possible. DH has gotten sick about 50% of the time we travel and we may decide we would rather leave a bit early. I hope not but in the case of traveling with an ill person, I like to know the options. In most cases with a domestic ticket, I would just show up and take my chance which so far has run at about 90%.

Thanks.

Coming home a day earlier would likely involve some hefty fees on DL. Same day standby for an "earlier" flight would actually get you back to ATL later in the day (BCN-JFK-ATL). Also, you'd have to make the trip out to the airport in BCN to see if you could go a day early and then get the "news" on your chances.

International rules are pretty tight to try to prevent games with purchases on a "cheap" day switching to a higher-demand, higher-fare day.

Of course, you might get lucky and a sympathetic agent in BCN might break the rules for you.

Archived