One Way Air to Barcelona and Cheapo air.com

tom5178

Hi,

We are looking for our plane tickets for the Century TA on 12-1-08. Cheapoair seems to have some unbelievable deals. Has anyone used this booking site for their tickets, One example for a one way from Philadelphia to Barcelona was $371 per person on cheapoair and the Lufthansa site with the same flights was running $1975 per person.

Please give me comments from anyone who has used cheapoair

Thanks

Hi,

We are looking for our plane tickets for the Century TA on 12-1-08. Cheapoair seems to have some unbelievable deals. Has anyone used this booking site for their tickets, One example for a one way from Philadelphia to Barcelona was $371 per person on cheapoair and the Lufthansa site with the same flights was running $1975 per person.

Please give me comments from anyone who has used cheapoair

Thanks

Please understand that what you are buying are CONSOLIDATOR CLASS tickets. The prices are great most of the time, but there are no or very few protections with this type of ticket.

Example: Your airline, XXX, has a problem with your flight-doesn't matter what it is. You CANNOT use your tickets to board another airline. Your tickets have NO VALUE to another airline. So you will wait until your originating airline has space available-may be the same day or may be two/three days in the future. You are essentially STUCK with the originating airline and other than the good graces of the airline, you may be out of luck to get to your cruise on time.

IF you are using tickets from a consolidator, make sure you fly AT LEAST 2 days pre cruise. And make sure you have GOOD travel insurance. You most likely WILL NOT be put up in a hotel at the airline's expense if your original flight bombs out. So in the end, to get to your cruise on time, you MAY be buying a VERY expensive walk up ticket, paying for hotel rooms or not going on the cruise.

Please go to the Cruise Air forum and do a search for Cheaptickets, condolidator, etc. Consolidator tickets have the same rules and regulations as cruise air tickets. IF everything goes right, you scored a bargain. IF you have a problem, you may be on your own.

When I bought tickets from USAirways (on their web page) for my May cruise, I got a price very similar to 371 dollars for Philly to Barcelona. In fact, my wife is pointing out it may have been a little less. I think your Lufthansa rate is very high rather than the Cheapoair rate being low.

Hi,

I have checked the airlines directly and the US Airways flight is also about $1900! I guess the time of year has something to do with it. The 371 that your wife quoted is a tremendous bargain but at the end of Nov, I am not seeing anything cheaper than 1900 per person. It amazes me how differnet the prices can be.

I was planning on leaving 3 days pre-cruise because we want to see Barcelona. The consolidator ticket, I assume, does not earn frequent flier miles? Also, when they say it has no value to another airline, does the issueing airline still have any responsibilities, or are we at the mercy of the consolidator

Hi,

Also, when they say it has no value to another airline, does the issueing airline still have any responsibilities, or are we at the mercy of the consolidator

In a word NO and NO

Airline takes no responsibility and no the concolidator has no mercy since they are only dealers and cannot do anything even if they wanted to.

When a consolidator purchases and/or contracts with an airlines they are under very tight rules giving them very little if any leeway.

Hi,

I have checked the airlines directly and the US Airways flight is also about $1900! I guess the time of year has something to do with it. The 371 that your wife quoted is a tremendous bargain but at the end of Nov, I am not seeing anything cheaper than 1900 per person. It amazes me how differnet the prices can be.

I was planning on leaving 3 days pre-cruise because we want to see Barcelona. The consolidator ticket, I assume, does not earn frequent flier miles? Also, when they say it has no value to another airline, does the issueing airline still have any responsibilities, or are we at the mercy of the consolidator

NO FF miles on most consolidator tickets. The issuing airline has the responsibility to get you to your destination. Period. No telling WHEN you will get there. And IF the flight times change and are not acceptable with your plans, you may have one heck of a time getting the change undone, unlike booking directly with the airline.

Have you thought about driving to JFK??? I can see all kinds of flights available either Thanksgiving Day or the following Friday for less than $600.00 RT, some less than $500. AA flies nonstop from JFK on your dates-Nov 27 arrive Nov 28 for $569.00pp taxes included.

You say you don't need the RT ticket-yes, you do. You may want to go on another TA the opposite direction. Book the return at the latest available date. Then if you do decide you want to cruise, for the change fee and MAYBE a small additional charge, you have taken care of both flights.

Air Europa, a SkyTeam associate member, flies out of EWR on your dates nonstop for $465.00 RT.

Trying to book a one way ticket to Europe at a decent price is almost impossible OTHER THAN AerLingus. Again, you will have to get to JFK. But one stop in Dublin (very small, very nice airport) and you are on your way to BCN. AerLingus will not be available for booking in November until next month.

Good luck!!!

There is another option for one-way fares. Aer Lingus offers decent one-way faresn from its US getaways including Dulles, Boston, JFK, LAX and a few others. Its actually a pretty decent airline and they also allow you to do a stopover in Dublin for up to a month with no penalties. With the stopover they also let you keep the higher North American luggage allowance when you do the continuation flight into Europe. Not an bad deal.

Hank

We've flown one-way to Barcelona twice in November and used bt-store dot com both times. They give you a choice of airlines and we specifically chose British Airways because they had so many flights, both to the UK and then on to Barcelona. We didn't choose Lufthansa because they only had one flight originating from our location. Thought a single flight would be too much risk. I'm not sure I'd choose BA again, but that's why we chose them then. BTW, the fare was so low, we were able to buy three coach seats (for comfort) for less than the price of a single World Traveller Plus seat. Quite a bargain. Good luck.

Archived