rental car - scary or ok?

Ok, I'm excited now.......a jeep sounds fun!!! Ok....now for your favorite visit via jeep......

Depending on how much time you have you can actually tour the whole island quite easily...especially with a jeep.

The lighthouse area was our favorite. great rugged beaches there as well and sand dunes

..watch your time in the afternoon though as traffic can start to get nasty near the port....

Actually I think that he/she is probably a very intelligent person. Has probably given a false profile and just loves to come on these boards to stir it up. We are worse to actually respond to his/her posts.

Maybe I am wrong but I feel he/she is acting way too dumb/stupid to be actually for real.:)

I had the same thought. In that case, they are a TROLL. Boo on them.

I would not rent a car or even go to aruba. look what happened to that natilie holiday girl a few years back. they still havent found her yet.

Probably has never even been there. Just like her previous post on another thread.

Someone was complaining about something that happened and she posted, "SOUNDS LIKE TYPICAL RCI CRAP", and you can see that she's never even been on an RCI cruise.

Why would you do such things, madamcruisequeen?????

We rented from arthur rental car and we changed the car we needed as we picked up 2 other who wanted to go with us and had a great time. We had a nice van very nice for 6 adults. we drove all around the island went to all the beaches we wanted to and did some shopping and still had time. would do it again but this time we are only in port for 3p-11p so no sense spending the money for the car will just take a taxi to maho! Orient beach is a hoot! Many naked people but most of them should have been covered!;). we even had a naked butt in our pic of the beach and didnt notice until we saw them on the computer at home! One of our favorite islands!

In Aruba we basically made a, counter-clockwise, lap of the island. There is a Valero gas station right as you leave the rental parking lot, our rentals were low on gas, so we put in $20, which was about what we used for the day.

We drove for a bit to the 'left' from the cruise dock and then hit the road going to the light house on the far western tip of the island. After seeing the light house, we dropped into 4x4LOW and hit the dirt. There is an easy to follow dirt/sand/rock road around all the way to Natural Bridge. From there we popped it back in 2WD and used paved roads to get to the Natural Pool. Then back into 4x4LOW and down to the pool (this is a MUCH rougher path then the first trail).

After a swim in the pool, we made our way back to paved roads, stopped at a little road side place for lunch, and drove the rest of the way around the island, stopping at a few beaches.

St. Marteen and Aruba are both good for renting cars. We've rented cars on both and would do so again. The only potential problems we encountered were:

1. St. Marteen has a drawbridge on the west side of the island and we got stuck in traffic and were concerned about getting back in time, and

2. last Oct. on St. Marteen we had a very bad rainstorm, the roads were flooding due to lack of drainage and we were concerned about getting back to the port in time due to the rain and the collateral effects -- bad traffic jams, bad visibility and flooding roads.

So, if it looks like heavy rain, I'd probably not rent a car. Otherwise, just watch your time. St. Marteen is particularly lovely as the drive over to Marigot is quite scenic. We always rent from Hertz in St. Marteen. We used to use Avis, but they're a hike from the port. Hertz is right at the port. I can't recall who we rented from in Aruba.

Archived