rental car - scary or ok?

Both are pretty much the easiest islands you could possibly ask for to navigate! Both islands have rental car agencies right at the pier and both have roads that follow the coast so it is easy to keep your bearings. Both islands are extremely safe and drivers are no worse than here in the states, perhaps better, depending on where you live. Don't worry, a little research and you'll save big time over cabs and have the freedom to explore where ever you like. Aruba is particularly cool to explore the moonlike terrain by California Lighthouse where paved roads turn to dirt. Have fun!

(We used Hertz on both islands and had great service, they are located right at the pier on both islands.)

We rented a car in Aruba. There are about 5 stands when you get off the ship. We rented a jeep wrangler actually. They give you a map and its very easy to get around the island. It goes in one large circle and the island is very small so you can't get lost. We circled the sites we wanted to see on the map. We saw the California Lighthouse, the Natural Bridge or what was left of it, a Gold mine and then stop at some beaches. It was a very nice day and we enjoyed being on our own instead of with a tour group. This way we felt we weren't rushed and could do things at our own pace.

I would not rent a car or even go to aruba. look what happened to that natilie holiday girl a few years back. they still havent found her yet.
To be frank a lot of the Caribbean islands are not particularly safe, but having been to close to 40 islands in the Caribbean, I consider Aruba to be one of the very safest. Of course if you get drunk and run with the wrong people late at night, anywhere can be unsafe.

I have stayed on both Aruba and Sint Maarten, also visited both by cruise, and have driven on both with no problems. I consider driving and safety to be somewhat worse on Sint Maarten, but acceptable in both islands.

I would not rent a car or even go to aruba. look what happened to that natilie holiday girl a few years back. they still havent found her yet.

That is a pretty ignorant statement, IMO. I'll bet you try to discourage people from doing the stingray city trip because of what happened to Steve Irwin.

We've rented in St. Martin. It was an awesome day! The roads are fine to drive though a bit hilly. We rented a jeep and did some dirt roads too. Lots of fun. We always felt very safe. The rental car companies are right at the dock. We didn't have a reservation and didn't need it. We drove the whole island in one big circle, stopping at Orient Beach, Grand Case for lunch, then found Friar's Bay Beach down a dirt road. We drove through Marigot, then out to Maho beach and back to Phillipsburgh. Beautiful island....well worth our effort. Enjoy!

That is a pretty ignorant statement, IMO. I'll bet you try to discourage people from doing the stingray city trip because of what happened to Steve Irwin.

You should read the rest of her post, actually after a while there kind of funny (not in a humorous way though).

We did a 4 wheel jeep & snokelling tour in Aruba and the roads were easy to drive. We went out in a caravan on about 8 cars and had no problem sticking together, there wasn't a whole lot of traffic. For a little fun rent a jeep and 4 wheel throught the north part of the island. Unfortunately one of the main attractions, the natural bridge, collapsed.

We rented a jeep for the day in Aruba. We also got off the ship, walked to the rental area (I think we went with American Jeep rentals??) and we were on our way within 20 minutes. Driving around the island was pretty easy, and after the usual sightseeing tour that everyone goes on we ended up at Baby Beach, which was awesome. Baby beach is on the eastern tip of the island so it is quite a trip and you generally don't get out there unless you have a rental. To me, this made the rental worth it! Great snorkeling, clear warm water, and shade for my sunburned DH!

As far as safety, I felt safer in Aruba than most other islands. I don't really know why...that was just my opinion!

Just another one of her ignorant posts, do a search on her user name and see what I mean

You should read the rest of her post, actually after a while there kind of funny (not in a humorous way though).

Just another one of her ignorant posts, do a search on her user name and see what I mean

There is some amusement to be found in her profile as well.

As for some of her other posts, pretty sad. Advocating taking candles on the ship and hiding them when not in the room and stealing lots of the shampoo from the cabin attendant cart for use at home. A sad woman indeed.

I certainly hope she isn't typical of the kind of passenger on a RCI cruise. She seems more at home at Carnival, judging from her signature.

Renting a Jeep in Aruba is great, we had a fantastic time.

I would say:

DO NOT rent from a company called American Rental -- they almost completely ruined the day for us (I've posted about this before) -- their product was unsafe, almost didn't have it for us at all, rental agent got drunk during the day and gave my credit card imprint to someone else....

IF you don't drive a manual trans. be sure to have something reserved before you get there. We DID have reservations months in advance with American, but they didn't have an automatic (we rented 3 Jeeps, mine was reserved as 'no preference', the other two were reserved as automatics) and when we got there no automatics were to be found so we had to cram into 2 Jeeps (Only my dad and I could drive a manual well enough to take it off road, but there were 8 people in our group. My Jeep ended up having my friend who is 6'4" 300 lbs and this wife with my wife an I (my wife is 6' tall too), so this was a TIGHT fit and not that comfortable).

All of that said, Jeeping in Aruba was a highlight of my trip and I can't wait to do it again someday!

I see you all from the Midwest - I'll never go there cuz I heerd they got rivers that flud

thanks, ya all made me feel better! Jeep it is. I assume they have all the regular rental comps like avis/budget? and the others? I'll try to go to one of those mainstream comps.

I dont think we'll rent in St. Martin. We can take a taxi to Orient right?

You can spend a day at orient I hear! Sunning, drinking and just having a great time people watching.

Thanks again, I can't wait - we're in a state of emergency here in WA with a record snow fall :(

Pretty dumb unfounded statement. Better start telling people to stay away from anywhere anything bad has ever happened before. In other words, better just stay home,k actually, something bad might have happened there before you lived there....C'mon now....Crime happens everywhere.....

For St. Martin check out sxmrentacar.com they are the local Hertz agent. I found they had the best rates. Be sure to reserve in advance. As it has been stated there is a lot of traffic in St. Martin especially if there are a lot of ships in port. A few years ago we almost missed the boat cause it took 2 hours to get back to the pier from the airport area. There are also some crazy drivers on the island, so be careful.

thanks, ya all made me feel better! Jeep it is. I assume they have all the regular rental comps like avis/budget? and the others? I'll try to go to one of those mainstream comps.

I dont think we'll rent in St. Martin. We can take a taxi to Orient right?

You can spend a day at orient I hear! Sunning, drinking and just having a great time people watching.

Thanks again, I can't wait - we're in a state of emergency here in WA with a record snow fall :(

Yes - you can easily taxi to Orient, and it's very easy to spend the day there. Great place.

Rented a Jeep from a place called "More for Less" Rentals in Aruba.

Worked out great..I reccomend them..good prices and fairly new vehicles. We actually got a brand new one so we lucked out..

They pick u up at the port for free and drop u off as well...

The Jeep was great to have and easy to drive around the island...just watch out for those roundabouts ...they can be crazy !! :D

And FYI, Aruba was a totally safe place...

Did you notice the one that told her to stay away from aruba doesnt even have Natalie's name spelled right. She typed Natalie "Holiday" (LOL)

That's why she works at Walmart.

Actually I think that he/she is probably a very intelligent person. Has probably given a false profile and just loves to come on these boards to stir it up. We are worse to actually respond to his/her posts.

Maybe I am wrong but I feel he/she is acting way too dumb/stupid to be actually for real.:)

Archived