Trinidad port??

Angelgirl51

The Grand Princess has a 14 day cruise that stops in Trinidad. I just booked this cruise for us for March, but the same cruise also runs in both January and February. What things are you thinking about doing there? I haven't really started looking into excursions yet, but am always up for hearing recommendations. :-)

Trinidad's okay, despite the crime stories you hear about the place.

Trinidad is South America - it's not Caribbean..don't think of it as being Caribbean

...the vibe is South America, trust me.

Tobago is "Caribbean" - Trinidad is not.

Thanks Mamoni for the info I will look into that 14 day cruise...the reason my friend wants to go there is she wants to visit a friend that moved there. So can't really help you out with excursions or anything but I will definitly let you know if I come across anything...

Trinidad's okay, despite the crime stories you hear about the place.

Trinidad is South America - it's not Caribbean..don't think of it as being Caribbean

...the vibe is South America, trust me.

Tobago is "Caribbean" - Trinidad is not.

You may be mistaken. Trinidad is 100% Caribbean, don't be fooled by it's proximity to the South American mainland. Just very industrial and busy like a north American city. It's not necessarily a tourist destination since it's more industrial (as I mentioned) and very commerce driven due to the energy sector.

Tobago is as true a Caribbean island you'll ever find. The huge amount of tourists is not there yet like the other Caribbean islands, so it's pretty-much untouched.

BTW, whatever crime you read that happens in Trinidad is similar to the crime you would read or expect to see on the news for any city.

Both islands make up the most cosmopolitan islands in the Caribbean. Here you can sample many different cultures in one place. Enjoy.

P.S. If you're going an expect to be treated as a tourist, leave that mentality at home. the people are very friendly and outgoing, but they won't bend-over-backwards for the tourist dollar.

• 1 month later...
You may be mistaken. Trinidad is 100% Caribbean, don't be fooled by it's proximity to the South American mainland. Just very industrial and busy like a north American city. It's not necessarily a tourist destination since it's more industrial (as I mentioned) and very commerce driven due to the energy sector.

Tobago is as true a Caribbean island you'll ever find. The huge amount of tourists is not there yet like the other Caribbean islands, so it's pretty-much untouched.

So what would you recommend doing for a shore excursion? Tobago?

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Tobago is an island in itself and just getting there from Port Of Spain (I assume that's where the ship will dock) will chew-up most of your time. There are 2 options to get to Tobago from Trinidad. 1. Flight (about $300 tt $), but you have to book in advance and it takes about 15-20 mins, but you have to consider getting to the airport and back in both Trinidad and Tobago. So that may be another 2-3hrs in itself. 2. The 2nd option is the ferry service, which can be crowded, sold out and /or slow. However there is the fast ferry, which takes about 2.5 hrs I think and it's much cheaper than flying.

As far as tours in Trinidad, I'm sure other can assist. I just love getting on a taxi and going to Maracas bay. The drive is very scenic, the beach is full of life and the shark sandwiches is something you must experience once in your life. Search Richards bake and shark on youtube. See here:

Yo, we have been to Trinidad several times, most have been for only a few hours as a fuel stop. This next Janauary we will be there for the entire day, and it is the only port we are not looking forward to spending a day at. Fill in the blanks there! :(

Yo, we have been to Trinidad several times, most have been for only a few hours as a fuel stop.

This next Janauary we will be there for the entire day,

and it is the only port we are not looking forward to spending a day at.

Fill in the blanks there! :(

and again I say...don't expect "Caribbean"..

-expect something more South American in 'flavour'

I personally love Trinidad and visit the island,from where I live in Barbados, once or twice a year

- I just think of it as a Caribbean-South-American mixture.

Once you're not expecting 'another St.Lucia or Barbados' ...it's fine!

Trinidad's not particularly geared up for tourism

and that's the problem for cruisers on a short time-schedule

- that plus it's a bigger-than-usual (Carib.) island, with lotsa traffic..

and again I say...don't expect "Caribbean"..

-expect something more South American in 'flavour'

I personally love Trinidad and visit the island,from where I live in Barbados, once or twice a year

- I just think of it as a Caribbean-South-American mixture.

Once you're not expecting 'another St.Lucia or Barbados' ...it's fine!

Trinidad's not particularly geared up for tourism

and that's the problem for cruisers on a short time-schedule

- that plus it's a bigger-than-usual (Carib.) island, with lotsa traffic..

So what would you recommend for a first time visitor?

Yo, we have been to Trinidad several times, most have been for only a few hours as a fuel stop. This next Janauary we will be there for the entire day, and it is the only port we are not looking forward to spending a day at. Fill in the blanks there!

Toto, what will you do there in January? Suggestions for us?

Toto, what will you do there in January? Suggestions for us?

This is one port where I have absolutely no idea Nancy. Since even the ship suggests that you do not go off on your own in Trinidad (unsafe), that really puts a damper on what we might decide to do. Still up in the air if maybe the same old same old. A run though the straw market, a little shopping in the terminal, and then enjoy the ship for the day.

That is unless they offer some sort of excursion from the ship that catches our eye. But after going as far as the front of the terminal building the last couple of times to the market, not sure if either of us want to venture out past that point. It is one port that doesn't even look inviting. But maybe, on a ships excursion, there might be more than meets the eye. Will let you know when they open up the excursions for our sailing.

When do you sail there? What month?

This is one port where I have absolutely no idea Nancy. Since even the ship suggests that you do not go off on your own in Trinidad (unsafe), that really puts a damper on what we might decide to do. Still up in the air if maybe the same old same old. A run though the straw market, a little shopping in the terminal, and then enjoy the ship for the day.

That is unless they offer some sort of excursion from the ship that catches our eye. But after going as far as the front of the terminal building the last couple of times to the market, not sure if either of us want to venture out past that point. It is one port that doesn't even look inviting. But maybe, on a ships excursion, there might be more than meets the eye. Will let you know when they open up the excursions for our sailing.

When do you sail there? What month?

We'll be there in December. Looks like you're there in January. So I can advise you of the excursions!

I'll check their tourist bureau for any special events during the month.

We'll be there in December. Looks like you're there in January. So I can advise you of the excursions!

I'll check their tourist bureau for any special events during the month.

Sounds great to me Nancy. Let me know if you find or experience something worth while. ;)

Trinidad is not your average small town caribbean island (Tobago is) The port is in the busy capital and definately not much to see there. I suggest you take a cab from the port (make sure it is a taxi that is registered with the tourist board) Tell your taxi driver you want to go to Maracas bay beach and to try a shark and bake sandwich. (It was listed on travel channel buy some guy who travels around the world trying food of different cultures as one of the ten best sandwiches in the world.) It will take you about 20 mins to get out from the city scape. In all the trip will be about 45mins one way. You will drive over the mountains of the northern range and through some beautifull rainforest. you will eventually break through seeing some breath taking views and great pic ops of the ocean on the way down to the beach.

The beach is alovely sand beach with lifeguards etc. there they will have huts selling the shark and bake. The secret is try all the dressings.

Trinidad is not your average small town caribbean island (Tobago is) The port is in the busy capital and definately not much to see there. I suggest you take a cab from the port (make sure it is a taxi that is registered with the tourist board) Tell your taxi driver you want to go to Maracas bay beach and to try a shark and bake sandwich. (It was listed on travel channel buy some guy who travels around the world trying food of different cultures as one of the ten best sandwiches in the world.) It will take you about 20 mins to get out from the city scape. In all the trip will be about 45mins one way. You will drive over the mountains of the northern range and through some beautifull rainforest. you will eventually break through seeing some breath taking views and great pic ops of the ocean on the way down to the beach.

The beach is alovely sand beach with lifeguards etc. there they will have huts selling the shark and bake. The secret is try all the dressings.

Goneclear, thanks for the suggestion. Shark and bake sandwich - it's on my list. :)

You folks are welcome. Google TIDCO stands for tourism development company. It is the oficial govt. tourism ministry and you can get some good information there on what is going on in Trinidad at any particular time.

http://www.gotrinidadandtobago.com/home/home.php

The following are for "foodies".....I thought I was adventurous in trying different foods, but Andrew Zimmern is the best! :D :p :eek:

Start with the first of his episodes at youtube and continue on through his culinary adventure on Trinidad and Tobago (# 1,3,4,5,&6 are about Trinidad, #4 is about Tobago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1ghzRL-8g&NR=1

A bit of sun, surf & sand and a visit to Richards Bake & Shark at Maracass Bay sounds like a neat thing to do while in port. :D :cool:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the links, MichCook.

The cruise YoPhilly and I are on in December actually docks in Scarborough, Tobabo, not Port of Spain, Trinidad. Any ideas on Tobago excursions gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to be stopping at the port in Trinidad in January on the Grand Princess. Are there plenty of taxis at the port if we do the Maracas Beach for the day and if so what are their fees and acceptable currency? Do you know if cruise ships offer this excursion? Any help will be appreciated.

We are going to be stopping at the port in Trinidad in January on the Grand Princess. Are there plenty of taxis at the port if we do the Maracas Beach for the day and if so what are their fees and acceptable currency? Do you know if cruise ships offer this excursion? Any help will be appreciated.

1. Yes Many Taxis at the port.

2. Aprox $100 U.S for up to 4 people in the car. That would be round trip to Maracas with taxi waiting Aprox 2hrs there.

3. Check your cruise line web site. some do post there port excursions if not just contact your cruise line.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived