Passports and Kids

tmitchell82

WE are thinking of taking our 4 year old DD on a cruise with us later this year. Given the regulations regarding the need for a passport to get back in to the USA, I assume my 3 year old would need a passport. Is this correct?

Tim

As of right now, passports are not required for cruise travel to Bermuda, Mexico, the Caribbean. They are required for cruises to Europe, etc. and for all air travel out of the country. At a date TBD, as early of this summer, all cruise travelers will be required to have a passport or passport card. As of mid January, when I brought my two children to get theirs, there wasn't a backlog. I suspect that as soon as the new rules are finally announced it will create a backlog once again so it's probably better to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later on your DD's application. Check out the US State Dept's web site for all the latest passport info.

Yes, no matter the age (even infants) at some point this year will need a passport. Since you say you will be traveling "later this year" then I would start the process for the kids.

It's kind of a pain because with kids, BOTH parents need to appear at the same time with the kids (almost impossible in my house during the small window of time they are open)

There is talk of a passport "card" but I wouldn't rely on that. Just get the passports.

It's kind of a pain because with kids, BOTH parents need to appear at the same time with the kids (almost impossible in my house during the small window of time they are open)

If one parent is unable to appear, there is a form they can sign and have notarized to give permission for their child to apply for a passport. DH had his notarized at work, but most banks will do it for free.

If you a planning on passports anyway, age does not matter, kids need them wherever an adult needs them. And I recommend them just as a smart travel tool.

However, the federal requirement for passports on most cruises does not start later this year. The 'passport rule' is the WHTI, the full WHTI implementation has been recently pushed back to June of 2009. At that time, land border crossings will need a passport or passcard or EDL. Round trip cruises from the US will not; they will still be able to use just a certifed BC and DL.

As of right now, passports are not required for cruise travel to Bermuda, Mexico, the Caribbean. They are required for cruises to Europe, etc. and for all air travel out of the country. At a date TBD, as early of this summer, all cruise travelers will be required to have a passport or passport card. As of mid January, when I brought my two children to get theirs, there wasn't a backlog. I suspect that as soon as the new rules are finally announced it will create a backlog once again so it's probably better to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later on your DD's application. Check out the US State Dept's web site for all the latest passport info.

Yikes!!! Small world. I was born and raised in Monmouth County, spent most of my life there and now live a short distance away in Brick.

The US Passport fee's have increased Effective Feb. 1, 2008, a day after the implementation of the new WHTI travel regulations on January 31, 2008. What a coincidence!!!

There are 3 governmental websites that are worth monitoring for current information. As you suggested, the US Dept of State website @ http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html , The US Dept of Homeland Security @ http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/ , which you can subscribe to and receive travel updates via e-mail, and the US Customs & Border Protection @ http://www.cbp.gov/ .

Sooner rather than later is certainly a word to the wise!!!

Take care, Paul

We are cruising out of NYC in May to the Bahamas. I had not planned on getting a passport for my 18-mo since it will only be good 5 years and still costs almost as much as an adult passport. Kind of hoped to buy myself as much time as possible on it. Do you think this will be ok?

We are cruising out of NYC in May to the Bahamas. I had not planned on getting a passport for my 18-mo since it will only be good 5 years and still costs almost as much as an adult passport. Kind of hoped to buy myself as much time as possible on it. Do you think this will be ok?

The short answer is YES, as long as you are referring to May 2008. The following is an excerpt from the US Customs & Border Patrol website as of moments ago:

Sea Travelspacerclear.gifrss_5ficon.gifsea_5ficon_5ftrans.gif

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

Note: Children age 18 and under will need to present a birth certificate, naturalization certificate or a passport to enter the U.S.

Please bear in mind that information between the governmental websites does not seem to be consistent with each other.

Also, do your self a favor and visit the websites I previously mentioned in a recent post earlier this day.

Enjoy your trip!!!

The short answer is YES, as long as you are referring to May 2008. The following is an excerpt from the US Customs & Border Patrol website as of moments ago:

Sea Travelspacerclear.gifrss_5ficon.gifsea_5ficon_5ftrans.gif

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

Note: Children age 18 and under will need to present a birth certificate, naturalization certificate or a passport to enter the U.S.

Please bear in mind that information between the governmental websites does not seem to be consistent with each other.

Also, do your self a favor and visit the websites I previously mentioned in a recent post earlier this day.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanks for the response. I just keep getting nervous that they'll change their mind the week before I leave or something. It would be just like the government to take all my money in April and screw up my vacation in May! :p

Our son got a passport when he was 6 months old. It is rather comical now because he is almost 4 and looks nothing like his baby photo. I like having the piece of mind of him having a passport. We can travel anywhere we want to (not just cruising) and have one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for all the information. Looks like we are going to have to find a time to go to the post office and get the application and everything turned in. I know an adults is good for 10 years and I assume a kids is only good for 6. Still trying to see my daughter use a passport when she is 8 with a 4 year olds picture.....

Thanks for the response. I just keep getting nervous that they'll change their mind the week before I leave or something. It would be just like the government to take all my money in April and screw up my vacation in May! :p

The best advice I can offer, is to get US Passports for all travelers. I have traveled recently, more than I ever have traveled in many years, and the only ID I had to provide was a US Passport.

I am almost certain that a Passport will be the 'gold standard' of ID in the future...if it is not already.

Despite the age of young children...and their photos taken at the time of application for the Passport...the US Government makes the rules and the government should therefore understand that young children will age...and that their appearance will consequentally change.

I wish I looked like my original Passport photo in 1969!!!

The US Government moves at a 'snails pace'...so I would not be too concerned with a change in regulations in the near future...but I would keep your eye on the travel documents required as set forth in the various government websites set forth above.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

Paul from NJ

We're doing our 1st cruise w/kids in March & just got them their passports, as required now by the cruiselines. (even though flights are to/from domestic). It was as simple as could be at our post office...the whole shabang, form, photo, etc. (even though you could get the photo at CVS for $7 less), but I just did it a month ago & was told I might want to "expedite" for another $50 apiece. The cost was already $100 each for a passport that's only good for 5 yrs. to the adult 10 yrs. Having said that, I took my chances on the "8 wk process". They came in 13 days ! No problem. Good luck !

Yes, indeed you need both parents there. I can understand why....too many crazies out there that would take their kids away w/out the other's consent....we went on a Sat. morn. because of husband's work schedule - no problem. It's a good thing the safeguard is out there I guess.

We just received our passports in the mail today! It took less than 3 weeks for them to arrive, so now is a great time to apply. . .no backlog!

Also, like I mentioned above, it is not required that both parents appear.

Here's the requirement from dept of state's website:

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent)

Something y'all might want to keep in mind is the State Department's new Passport card product. A passport card is a credit card sized ID card that can be used as a passport for reentry to the USA at land and sea ports only. It cannot be used to reenter the USA at an airport. For that, you need a passport book.

Passport cards are cheaper, especialy for kids. Read all about it here.

Rick

You might want to check with the cruiseline. Disney is requiring all to have passports starting in Summer 2008.
This is no longer the case; Disney and all cruise lines recommend a passport, but their requirements are in line with the government regulations. :)

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/myCruise/landing?name=PassportDetailPage

This was in the e-mail I received from my travel agent, sounds like Disney is making that change for the summer and beyond.

Everyone sailing in summer 2008 and later will be required to have a passport. Disney Cruise is requiring valid passports for all summer 2008 and later Disney Cruise passengers including children. I

Marsha,

That is the old wording that Disney was using last year; sounds like your TA is not up to speed on the passport regs, and has not read the link provided above, nor this one:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/myCruise/landing?name=TravelDocumentationInformationDetailPage

Having a passport is not a problem, and for most people the expense is not an issue. But for those pax who specifically choose not to get a passport, a TA should not only know better but is turning away potential business for both themselves and the cruiseline.

Archived