TSA and distilled water for CPAP?

Jeanie821

Okay, this is a little complicated and convoluted, but I need to ask this.

I use a CPAP at night, and I will be flying to Florida on 2/8. I can only use distilled water with the machine - not tap, not spring, only distilled water. Unfortunately, for the two nights preceding the cruise, I'm staying at a hotel with no stores within walking distance, so I have to bring water for those first two nights.

I got a prescription for bottles of distilled water (the easiest way to get it through), but the morons at CVS can't seem to figure out the concept of making labels that say "Distilled Water for CPAP") (duh!). So today, I called TSA, and a man named "Cory" swears that I can get one or two half-liter bottles through without a problem. However, the only thing that the TSA is consistent in is its inconsistency.

So... can I take water through with documentation from the CPAP manufacturer and the doctor? Has anyone else here done this?

I wouldn't put anything pass TSA agents. As you said, their only consistency is their inconsistency.

Sounds like you are all good to do with the proper documentation and all.

To play it safe I would arrive early to the airport to allow for any extra time at the security check-point as well as mapping out where a drug store is near the hotel you are staying at just in case you are not allowed to bring the distilled water with you on the plane. It might be worth getting a cab at the airport and stopping at the drug store on the way to the hotel if this ends up being the case.

My wife uses a CPAP. Sometimes TSA allows her to bring distilled water; sometimes not. It seems to vary by airport (or perhaps mood, phase of the moon or the Ethiopian stock market).

She has used "normal" water for several days with no obvious ill effect.

Paul

While checked luggage isn't much more dependable than the TSA, you might want to stick a litre in there as well - no limit on liquids in checked luggage.

A call to the hotel to see if they can provide you with distilled water as well might yield a surprise. Many times they have a stock or are willing to procure it for you.

I agree with BurBunny. When I was at a Spa in Arizona, I sent an email a few weeks ahead asking them to have distilled water in my room when I arrived. They said there would be no problem. They didn't have it, but there was no problem, they sent a fellow out and he brought me a 2L jug. I wouldn't worry about the hassles with TSA, I am sure the hotel will help you out.

According to my dh's doctor, the distilled water is only necessary if the air is very dry, the water helps to prevent your nose/throat drying out. The last cruise my dh didnt use any water at all, that compartment came off and stayed home. The cruise before it he used regular water from the ship with no problems at all.

Dont forget your extension cord!!

I didn't know you could get Rx distilled water - thanks for the info!

I use a CPAP and have packed water in my carry-on with no problem. I've also used 'bottled' water in a pinch with no ill effects on the machine.

I don't recommend using it without any water, that makes my nose too dry, but I have nose pillows, not a traditional mask, so that makes me more sensitive to dryness.

You're aware that you can carry the CPAP as an 'extra' carry-on that they can't count against you? - In other words, you are allowed your regular carry-on plus a personal item such as a purse or laptop bag, and your CPAP.

Archived