Best retaurant for lunch in Cozumel

Island Annie

I agree that the view from Coconuts looks AWESOME!!

Has anyone actually ever eaten at Coconuts Bar & Grill? I'd be interested in hearing their opinion, and knowing whats on their menu since it looks like it's pretty far from the cruise ship pier. Is it worth the trip?

RP

Of the three you listed, Pancho's is the only one I've tried personally. The food was quite good, as were the margaritas. One really superb feature there is that they have probably the cleanest public restrooms on the island, right outside their door (It IS an indoor facility!)

You can't go wrong with either choice!

It depends on what you want for that day.

We just returned from the Sept. 12 sailing of the Mariner and had a wonderful time!

We rented a jeep and toured the island. We stopped at various beaches throught out the day.

We stopped at Paradise Beach for a swim, drinks and had gucomole dip and nachos...FANTASTIC!

For lunch we ate at Coconuts. I had the chicken fajhita...DELICIOUS! and the view was awesome!

Last year we at a Panchos Backyard and totally enjoyed the food and the atmosphere.

:) :) :)

Another vote for Pancho's. That has become our traditional "last stop" before returning to the ship whenever we are in Cozumel.

Sitting in the shade with a Margarita (grande, of course), nachos & guacamole, an entree to split, listening to the live marimba music. It doesn't get any better. :D

It's definitely not Tex-Mex, but it's also unlike the "traditional" Mexican food I've encountered at other places in Mexico. I think it might best be described as an attempt at "Texanized Mexican food." It's not full of sugar like the way they try to make in it California, it doesn't have Hatch chilis like they have in New Mexico, and it just can't find that "San Antonio" taste. They do a good job, though, and we like it just the same. If you order something you're used to eating at home, the difference on Cozumel will be obvious. If you order something you've never had at home (other than margaritas, of course), you'll most likely like it. We're still deep in our search for the world's best margarita, and we've found several second-places on the island of Cozumel. If we ever found the #1, of course, we'd have to stop searching.

I wish I knew the name of the restaurant where I had lunch on Cozumel. It was about a block directly inland from the HUGE Mexican flag at the harbor. Right by the Plaza del Sol. My table was outside on a patio, and I was able to watch the entertainers in the Plaza as I ate. It was very reasonably priced and absolutely delicious.

Now - could anybody tell me EXACTLY where Pancho's Backyard is? All I've heard is 'downtown'. I'd like to try it in November. Thx.

Chen Rio is about a mile north of Coconuts. It's right on the beach, and there is an area of beach protected from the waves by a rock jetty. Great food. Four of us split a grilled seafood platter (shrimp, lobster, snapper) that cost about $60.00.

We didn't like the food at Coconuts quite as much, but the view is spectacular.

If you will just be downtown, Pancho's does have great fajitas, nice surroundings, and a mariachi band.

How would you compare the mexican food to what we have here in the states? Is it tex-mex like we have or is it authentic mexican food which I hear most Americans dont like?

Certainly it's authentic.....it's Mexico!

Seriously though, I thought most Americans liked Mexican food. I'd say that most of it is not hot.

Mexico has many different states, regions and variations in cuisine much like we do in the US.

The Mexican food that I have had in the US at good Mexican restaurants is equal to that of any I've had in Mexico.

Now, Taco Bell......that's another story altogether. Apples & oranges.

Dolly :)

Chen Rio is about a mile north of Coconuts. It's right on the beach, and there is an area of beach protected from the waves by a rock jetty.

Chen Rio is south of Coconuts, which is between Chen Rio and Punta Morena. Additionally, note that there is a sewer line that empties into the protected cove at Chen Rio.

P.S.

Pancho's is in the back of a store called Los Cinco Soles, about two blocks south (away from the cruise terminal) from the town square.

I'm from Louisiana,and for me to say Pancho's is really good and they have good margarita's is hard to beat.Check it out for sure..

I agree about Pancho's Backyard (go through the Cinco Soles stores from the corner entrance and turn right at the liquor department to get to the restaurant) and their margaritas being good. I've had better margaritas at Palmeras, but Palmeras' quality is totally dependent upon who the bartender is on that particular day (at Palmeras, rocks 'ritas are much better than their frozen 'ritas - USUALLY). Pancho's backyard 'ritas are always the same - very good. For the best margaritas on the island, though (and I'm an "on the rocks" fan, not a frozen thingee guy), I go to the Hog Town Cafe. You'll pass it on the way into San Miguel from the International Pier. It'll be on your right, next door to Papa Hog's Scuba Emporium and across the street from their dive pier and the Dive Paradise pier. Owned by Mike and Margaret Gerus (a very nice Canadian couple), go in and ask Margaret for one of her bartender's "special margaritas." Tell her it's like the one he used to make for Divetex. Omigod..... It's the second-best margarita in the entire world. Of course, if I ever said it was the best, I'd have to stop searching for "the best," so it'll have to remain relegated to second place in the world. They really ARE good. Here's a link to their web site: http://papahogs.com/noframes/thehogs.htm. VERY good, and not expensive.

Still, I haven't ever been to Coconuts, so.....................???

Archived