Spirit Itinerary Change 4/19

heatherandfred

The itinerary change is for spirit cruises 4/19 thru 8/23. We lose 7 hours of port time with these changes. I recall seeing that when the engine problems first started and intinerary changes happened, OBC was issued, but I don't recall how much. I plan to call customer relations tomorrow to ask why we will not at least receive OBC for losing 7 hours of port time ... given that we already have 4.5 sea days on an 8 day cruise. :(

As a seasoned cruiser you should know that no port of call is guaranteed, and certainly time in port is not guaranteed. If you booked the cruise for the port time, by all means take advantage of the option to cancel. the people who got the OBC did not have that option. Asking for an OBC in this case is just not right.

We're booked for this cruise along with 4 other families. We all have kids in the 3-6yr old range, so night time touring at San Juan is limited at best. With the reduced time at every port, this cruise is looking more like a 8 day cruise to nowhere. I'd have been happier if they had canceled Samana and kept just Tortola and St Thomas. No decision has been made yet, but I'm guessing there's going to be 5 more cabins available on this cruise in the near future. If they at least reduced the price or offered some other incentive, I'd consider not canceling. I'm just glad we never told our kids about the cruise, saving it as a surprise. Surprise, you're going nowhere!!!

Looks like there a several families involved. I think you should all vote to cruise or cancel. You can cancel w/o losing a dime till Feb 22.

Either book with another line or do a land based get away...

This itinerary is horrible. We are at sea so long.

I did the Spirit's 8 day itinerary last year. Even with the engines running fine, we were only docked for a total of 26 hours. You guys will be docked 25 hours total.

Even with my two children, 15 months and 4 yo, the time at sea didn't drag and there was never a point where any of us felt stir crazy. I know you're really disappointed and I don't want to take away from your venting, but just wanted to give a glimmer of hope that your extra time at sea will not be too bad.

And on the bright side, you guys have a great stop in Tortola. We were docked from 11-7pm. All we could really do was go to the beach for a little while and than head back to the ship. We ended up eating in a specialty that night since the reservations were easier to come by. So if all else fails in San Juan, you can always do that or drop the kids off at the Kid's Crew and treat yourself to a spa treatment;)

Good luck re-planning:)

Are there any beaches or resorts in San Juan to spend a couple of hours at?

Is the fort within walking distance or do we have to take a cab??

I'm just happy they didn't cancel, I'd 4 unhappy kids for the week and 1 unhappy mom!!

Res Id :

February 04, 2008

IMPORTANT:

ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit’s 8-Day

Eastern Caribbean sailings from New York, from April 19 through August

23, 2008.

All guests

booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward

this information to their clients.

Because of a technical issue with one of her four engines, Norwegian Spirit will be travelling at a

reduced speed for the above mentioned sailings. Please be assured that the engine issue reducing our

speed capabilities in no way impacts the safe operation of the vessel.

Based on this reduced speed and to provide for the best possible itinerary

given the speed limitations,

we are cancelling our call to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands and will be calling instead on San Juan,

Puerto Rico on Tuesday from 2pm until midnight. Also, we have adjusted our departure time from

Samaná and our arrival into New York to compensate for the reduced speed. Our revised itinerary will

be:

Arrive Depart

Sat New York, New York 4:00 PM

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

Tue San Juan, Puerto Rico 2:00 PM midnight

Wed Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 AM

4:00 PM

Thu Samaná, Dominican Republic

8:00 AM 3:00 PM

It's not often that we need to alter an itinerary. When we do, we know it can cause disappointment.

Guests choosing not to sail as a result of this itinerary change may cancel their cruise without

cancellation fees and receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid. Any cancellations must be made by

Friday, February 22, 2008.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support of Norwegian Cruise Line.

Should you have

any questions, please call us at (800) 327-7030 Monday to Friday 8am to midnight EST or Saturday

and Sunday 9am to 9pm EDT and a Norwegian Cruise Line representative will be available to assist

you.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Revenue Management & Passenger Services

Page 1 of 1

[/quo

I'm the type of person that can usually roll with the punches but that itinerary STINKS:mad: :mad: I have some serious work to do to figure out what I'm going to do:mad:

Fri At Sea

Sat At Sea

Sun New York, New York 10:00 AM

I have a 6 day Spirit cruise reserved for July, and just noticed my itenerary has been changed as well. Not that much of a difference though. I will not be going to Stirrup Cay, but instead Grand Bahama. My times in Port Canaveral and Nassau are quite different now as well. Same time at port, but just much later in the day and evening.... A bit disappointed about that.

Our May 11th sailing has changed too. Here's the updated itinerary from the NCL site:

Sunday: Depart NYC 4pm

Monday: Sea

Tues: Pt Canaveral 12-10pm

Wed: Nassua 1:30-11pm

Thurs: Grand Bahama 7am-1pm

Fri: Sea

Sat: NYC 10am

As a seasoned cruiser you should know that no port of call is guaranteed, and certainly time in port is not guaranteed. If you booked the cruise for the port time, by all means take advantage of the option to cancel. the people who got the OBC did not have that option. Asking for an OBC in this case is just not right.

It's only my opinion, but I think it never hurts to ask! Demand, probably, but many times it's as simple as asking. And you can only be told "no" if you ask.....

Our May 11th sailing has changed too. Here's the updated itinerary from the NCL site:

Sunday: Depart NYC 4pm

Monday: Sea

Tues: Pt Canaveral 12-10pm

Wed: Nassua 1:30-11pm

Thurs: Grand Bahama 7am-1pm

Fri: Sea

Sat: NYC 10am

Yeah, I'm sort of disappointed. The Port Canaveral and Nassau times changed to later port times. I was hoping for a day at Sea World with our daughter, but it may be too late for her. I knew Stirrup Cay was the private Island, and now we are in Grand Bahama. Don't know much about either one. I called the Customer Service, and they had no idea why or that is was changed.... We currently can't book any excursions yet due to the new times. Hopefully it won't change too much now.

Are there any beaches or resorts in San Juan to spend a couple of hours at?

I think there's one a short cab ride away from the pier. You might want to check the Ports of Call boards?

Is the fort within walking distance or do we have to take a cab??
I'd walk it, but I like to walk. It's probably a bit long, especially with small kids. Hopping a cab would probably be a good idea.

I'm just happy they didn't cancel, I'd 4 unhappy kids for the week and 1 unhappy mom!!

I hope you have a great time!!!

If you want to do some cheap sightseeing with the kiddos in San Juan. Cross the busy street by the port and catch the little trolley busses. There are signs marking the bus stops, but they were covered with trash bags when we were there a few months ago. The run a circle from the port to San Christobal and El Morro (the fort). There are a few beaches but not as nice as St. Thomas. We had a good meal at Barachina, San Juan is not my favorite place to take the kids, but it can be done. We've been there quite a few times, but don't think we'll be returning soon, not that its bad, we've just been there, and done that... It's not one of our favorite ports, we don't hate it though.

I certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. Just because the cruiseline CAN change an itinerary, doesn't mean you are going to like where they decide to send you. I can definitely empathise. It was an unwelcome surprise to many of you.

If you want to do some cheap sightseeing with the kiddos in San Juan. Cross the busy street by the port and catch the little trolley busses. There are signs marking the bus stops, but they were covered with trash bags when we were there a few months ago. The run a circle from the port to San Christobal and El Morro (the fort). There are a few beaches but not as nice as St. Thomas. We had a good meal at Barachina, San Juan is not my favorite place to take the kids, but it can be done. We've been there quite a few times, but don't think we'll be returning soon, not that its bad, we've just been there, and done that... It's not one of our favorite ports, we don't hate it though.

I certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. Just because the cruiseline CAN change an itinerary, doesn't mean you are going to like where they decide to send you. I can definitely empathise. It was an unwelcome surprise to many of you.

I understand the need to change itineraries sometimes but what is killing me is knowing that NCL has known this was going to happen but yet they waited until after we sent in final payment to tell us. Now most of us are locked in. We don't really have the option of cancelling because we will lose money.

I understand the need to change itineraries sometimes but what is killing me is knowing that NCL has known this was going to happen but yet they waited until after we sent in final payment to tell us. Now most of us are locked in. We don't really have the option of cancelling because we will lose money.

I'm probably just being dense, but since NCL has given you until 2/22 to cancel without penalty, what money are you losing?

Becky, think about non-refundable expenses like airfare, that requires a change fee to use at a different time/destination ($100 generally) hotels purchased through Hotwire or Priceline or other deals like that. Prepaid shore excursions...

[quote name='Smellytoes']I understand the need to change itineraries sometimes but what is killing me is knowing that NCL has known this was going to happen but yet they waited until after we sent in final payment to tell us. Now most of us are locked in. We don't really have the option of cancelling because we will lose money.[/quote]

If you figure out something PLEASE email me.

Everything I have found is more expensive including land packages. If I wasn't leaving next week and this was my next vacation I would pay more.

I am glad that someone else thinks it is wrong as much as I do.
I think NCL will have people cancel on other dates for the 8 and 6 day cruises. If this was on the Pearl or Gem at least it would be a newer ship to enjoy. My TA said maybe I should cancel altogether, and skip this week and stay home. Is she CRAZY!!!!:D

[quote name='Smellytoes']I understand the need to change itineraries sometimes but what is killing me is knowing that NCL has known this was going to happen but yet they waited until after we sent in final payment to tell us. Now most of us are locked in. We don't really have the option of cancelling because we will lose money.[/QUOTE]

NCL is giving you another three weeks to cancel your 8 day Spirit cruise without penalties from them. How would you be losing money?

[quote name='MrsLeo']Becky, think about non-refundable expenses like airfare, that requires a change fee to use at a different time/destination ($100 generally) hotels purchased through Hotwire or Priceline or other deals like that. Prepaid shore excursions...[/quote]
I guess I'm just a very flexible person. In the face of non-refundable airfare, hotels, etc., I'd be looking at the possibility of changing plans and making this a Big Apple vacation. Sure, it's not the Caribbean, and I would certainly understand the disappointment (April in NYC is VERY different than St. Thomas in April!), but I don't think I'd view it as a catastrophe. There are all kinds of great things in NYC that the kids might not otherwise get to see -- the Statue of Liberty, the view from the top of the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center, the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum, wandering Chinatown or Little Italy... all sorts of possibilities!

[quote name='BeckyThane']I guess I'm just a very flexible person. In the face of non-refundable airfare, hotels, etc., I'd be looking at the possibility of changing plans and making this a Big Apple vacation. Sure, it's not the Caribbean, and I would certainly understand the disappointment (April in NYC is VERY different than St. Thomas in April!), but I don't think I'd view it as a catastrophe. There are all kinds of great things in NYC that the kids might not otherwise get to see -- the Statue of Liberty, the view from the top of the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center, the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum, wandering Chinatown or Little Italy... all sorts of possibilities![/quote]

But that is not what people were looking forward to.

Well thats cool Becky, but bear in mind you'll probably be paying $200+ per night for a hotel, your food, transportation and entertainment costs etc. It won't take long to eat up your cruise refund in NYC. Plus while that might be great for you, it may not be someone elses cup of tea.

Plus lets say you still want to cruise, can you find a comparable itinerary for the same price at the time you are able to cruise? Probably not. Its a frustrating situation, and if people feel disappointed, I think they are entitled to vent a little.

[quote name='BeckyThane']I guess I'm just a very flexible person. In the face of non-refundable airfare, hotels, etc., I'd be looking at the possibility of changing plans and making this a Big Apple vacation. Sure, it's not the Caribbean, and [B]I would certainly understand the disappointment[/B] (April in NYC is VERY different than St. Thomas in April!), but I don't think I'd view it as a catastrophe. There are all kinds of great things in NYC that the kids might not otherwise get to see -- the Statue of Liberty, the view from the top of the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center, the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum, wandering Chinatown or Little Italy... all sorts of possibilities![/quote]

[quote name='familyof4cruising']But that is not what people were looking forward to.[/quote]

[quote name='MrsLeo']Well thats cool Becky, but bear in mind you'll probably be paying $200+ per night for a hotel, your food, transportation and entertainment costs etc. It won't take long to eat up your cruise refund in NYC. Plus while that might be great for you, it may not be someone elses cup of tea.

Plus lets say you still want to cruise, can you find a comparable itinerary for the same price at the time you are able to cruise? Probably not. Its a frustrating situation, and if people feel disappointed, I think they are entitled to vent a little.[/quote]
Both of you, please look at my quote and what's highlighted above. I'm not begrudging anyone the opportunity to vent. I'm simply trying to point out that there are options.

[quote name='electricron']NCL is giving you another three weeks to cancel your 8 day Spirit cruise without penalties from them. How would you be losing money?[/quote]

Insurance (which I would have gotten back if NCL had told us before final) My compass reward points (if we cancel) and we WILL get wacked with the fuel surcharge if we change. This is money we wouldn't have lost if only we had been told a little sooner.

[quote name='BeckyThane']Can we take a poll?

How many of those currently booked on this itinerary would have absolutely NOT booked this itinerary if it had originally been advertised as San Juan-Tortola-Samana?

Just a simple question, so please put your flame-throwers away.[/quote]

I WOULD HAVE[B] NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/B]

I already have my issues with the Spirit and this was a choice I made because it was better then going on an airplane. I was originally booked on a ship out of FL, and then decided that i could get St Thomas from NY, I will give the Spirit a chance. I am so angry right now that I am scared that going could be a BIG mistake.

Sorry for all the Spirit Lovers, But I am NOT!

[quote name='Smellytoes']Insurance (which I would have gotten back if NCL had told us before final) My compass reward points (if we cancel) and we WILL get wacked with the fuel surcharge if we change. This is money we wouldn't have lost if only we had been told a little sooner.[/quote]
And my TA just informed me that my $150 bus fare to NYC is also non-refundable:mad:

Archived