Switch from RCI to P & O will i like it

JustOxford

Although I have not cruised with RCI (25 cruises with P&O, Cunard, Fred Olsen and Holland America) it would be fair to say that P&O caters forthe traditional ex.UK market well, with the Oceana, Arcadia and soon-to-be Ventura taking a more younger stab.

With the Arcadia being adults only, it is attracting an older set, by definition, though.

Not trying to second guess you, if you are an RCI "fan", the more traditional P&O offerings on Aurora, Oriana and Artemis, may not be your cup-of-tea, especially on the longer cruises away from the summer holidays.

I have done seven cruises on P&O and one on RCI (Jewel of the Seas). All I can say is that we will not be returning on RCI in the foreseable future. Nice ship, but we did not like the organisation on board, expensive drinks, expensive port shuttle buses and all food shipped in from Miami for a Baltic cruise from UK. We would not hestitate to go with P&O again.

Brian

There are quite a few Crown and Anchor members trying out Ventura, we are all a bit nervous about it :)

I think the best option is to go with an open mind.

I see you are just back from Serenade, my son works onboard.

Like Elaine we also are crown and anchor members trying out P&O (ventura) for the first time and like Elaine I hope we go with a totaly open mind, I think there will be differances but hey we will be cruising and thats what we love, Here's to all ships afloat and everyone who loves cruising.

Nancy

Hi

I think if you go with an open mind I think you will like the Ventura. We like RCI/Celebrity but we have cruised once with P&O on Arcadia and obviously there are things we like on both lines.

One thing you will like on P&O is the fact they don't add 15% on your bar bill and you can take booze onboard in your cabin! The entertainment is also better on P&O as its geared for the British market.

The one let down on Arcadia in my opinion was the buffet restaurant, I missed the choice of food that they have on RCI and X but I am hoping that the Ventura will be better in this area. We are booked on her in May and are very much looking forward to sailing on her although I have to admit we do like to sail with various nationalities rather than just British, makes the cruise a bit more cosmopolitan in my opinion!

Happy cruising!!:)

Lisa

Abbafan - I agree. Having done 3 P & O (2 x Oriana and once on oceana), my personal opinion, and also my children's and husband's, is RCI is more suitable for us, especially out of USA (the cosmo approach you mentioned). I really enjoyed my first 2 P & O cruises(Oceana then slightly less Oriana) with a friend (lady), I am 39, but the last one with my DH and 2 x DS aged 10 and 13 fell short(Oriana) and I felt quite embarrased having raved about the last two - I have been on two RCI cruises (Legend of Seas, one from UK and one from Tampa, Orlando-smaler ship withour bells and whistles) and still felt more excitement and zest from staff and passengers on both counts. I am booked for the 2 night Ventura in September and was looking at one in October for 14 nights, but I will see how we go on our next two cruises with RCI (one in 5 weeks from New York and one in July from Rome on larger Voyager class ships). I think we llike the RCI product as a family -but enjoy whatever you decide, it is a cruise afterall:) Having said this, I hope Ventura will be appealing to the younger crowd, having more facilities and public rooms, dining options etc. I personally need this to lift my opinion anyway. Hollyanna

Hi hollyanna

I am about the same age as you and agree that maybe the Ventura will appeal to RCI passegers more than the Oriana/ Aurora. One thing about P&O is that they have different ships to suit different passsengers and I don't think we would choose the Oriana ot Aurora over RCI or Celebrity. However the Ventura has certainly caught our attention, so I will report back when we return in May!!

We are fairly new to cruising compared to a lot of others who use this site and have only travelled with P&O. We would like to change to another liner for a change and we have asked various people what their opinion is of other cruise liners compared with P&O. We have often been told that although the other liners were very nice and they had a good time, P&O just had the edge. Of course, that won't be everyone's opinion but we think "better the devil you know" and we do like cruising with P&O anyway. We might take the plunge one day and book with another.

Just a few points.

I am a regular P&O cruiser and have sailed a number of times. We sailed with RCI ex Southampton last year.

Overall we enjoyed our cruise and enjoyed trying a new ship with a different line. But overall P&O offer a better option for my style of cruising.

If you want in your face Glitz then RCI would be your choice if you want cool Britannia then go for P&O.

Things that are better than RCI Food the alternative eating areas were ok ish but when you compare them to the Gary Rhodes on the Arcadia they are like Woolies cafe.Entitanment again not great, back decks, no extra cost for the shuttle bus. The sun decks were like a holiday camp and only the Adult section really had a nice feel about it.

P&O seems more like a cruise in the traditional sense (which is no bad thing) RCI is more like camp America it lacks a little bit of style.

But like anything my review is based on a style of cruising that I like which RCI just did not meet. But worth giving them a go. If you don’t try you will never know.:)

Hollyanna

I am also on the Ventura weekender in September - do say Hi if you see me around,

photos of us (hubbie Tony) on my web albums of Aurora and Arcadia, see link:) and anyone else wanting to look at P&O ships,

Sue

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia

back space after the Allabout Arcadia Album to see public gallery for other albums.

A advantage of pando ships if you are a Brit ofcourse, is mostly Brits onboard, £'s on booard and not $, CHEAP drinks - similar to pub prices (£2.50 for a glass of wine or pint of BRIT beer), and as others mentioned, unlike other cruiselines, you can take onboard your own drinks. We have a balcony cabin, so I take on a winebox of Chardonny for late afternoon tipple, and a few beers for hubby.:D If sailing from Southampton as well, unlimited luggage allowance yepeeeeeeee !!!

Sue

I've just returned from the Arcadia - have travelled with Princess and Holland America before.

I def won't be travelling with P & O ever, ever again. We travelled on P & O 15 years ago and my husband said never again. It took me 12 yrs to get him back on a ship again-but luckily I did. When we arrived in England on Saturday, 9th February, his words to me were, "maybe another cruise in 12 yrs time". We were bored on the Arcadia. Who wants to do a quiz at 11.45pm of a night. Shows awful. Entertainment dire!! and for the party nights. The DJ James, just played the same tape for every party. In the disco he was playing solitaire on his computer. The poor waiting staff were so busy, one had to ask for a napkin. Food terrible............. Everyone just complained all the time.........word around ship was that only 10% thought it OK.

My age 50 - one of the youngest on board!!

Kimmy

Sorry you didn't like Arcadia....fair enough.... did you say you haven't cruised for 12 years|?? When did you go on Princess/ HAL ?

Perhaps a family ship would be better for you if you want young parents on there and their little darlings of course, then the disco might be full of teenagers.....?

Did you enjoy the rest of the cruise, ? Did you dine in AR or the orchid Thai estaurant ? try out the hydro pool?? Were the ports good?

Is it the cruising experience you didn't like or just Arcadia??

Sue

Hello,

I cruised with Holland America in February 2007 - having spent a few days in New York.

The ship was about the same age as Arcadia, with the same layout, but more glitzy, fresh flowers, double duvet on a "proper bed", not wooden boxes, and the food every, every night was the same as what we had eaten in Rhodes restaurant. We tried to get into Orchid and Rhodes on many occassions but was fully booked. Everyone was booking up to eat in these restaurants as the food wasn't up to much. (I was told by the Maitre'd that Rhodes restuarant is never full to capacity because they just can't cope!!) P & O Passengers who had been on Arcadia three times before hand said it had started to go on a slippery slope. Compared with Holland America, P & O is very below par. Nearly every plastic chair on the promenade deck was broken - on HAL every chair on the promenade deck is wooden and there are even some steamer chairs. I expected a lot more from P & O and it just didn't deliver!!:(

Re ports, etc. I shall write up a few notes because knowledge for other cruisers is always helpful.

We did join the spa/hydrapool, and that broke down. Too cold one day for anyone to use and then when a new motor had been fitted, far too hot. People "hogging" the thermal beds for up to 1hr at a time and when I asked Paula, the manager to ask them to move, was told they don't want to offend anyone. In the end, when towels were on the thermal beds I just moved them, especially if they were in the steam room.

I got up at 5.30am one morning - felt a little queasy - and had a wander around the ship. Floating people in dressing gowns and P.J's were putting towels on the sun beds. Even on the deserted island they put towels on beds and went back on the liberty boats to the ship to eat and on return had their beds available for them.

Entertainment was rubbish. The Cruise Director was boo'd off the stage Planning awful. The day we were at Mayreau - beach island - they arranged a bbq on board ship, and the chocoholics buffet in the afternoon - it seems they were trying to cut down on cooking and preparation.

Have to sign off - have an appt so will return to Boards later this evening.:D

Thanks Kimmy for replying.

I am on Arcadia for the 3rd time in a few months time, and this has unsettled me. When ou pay £4,000 for a holiday you want it to be good - great!!

I found that the entertainment in 07 was the SAME as 06 - same shows and even we were unluckly to have the same entertainers as well... but that was just our bad luck.

I found the food very good in the Main restaurant and excellent in AR and orchid in June 07.

We will see, will do a review when I come back

Sue:cool:

I know what you mean about paying £4K for a holiday - that's what we paid for an aft cabin. Look at the other thread I have running and you will see what have said about some things. Are you travelling to Caribbean or Med. Have done the Med on Grand Princess and there are a lot of tips on these boards on the Princess forum.

Kim

I've just returned from the Arcadia - have travelled with Princess and Holland America before.

I def won't be travelling with P & O ever, ever again. We travelled on P & O 15 years ago and my husband said never again. It took me 12 yrs to get him back on a ship again-but luckily I did. When we arrived in England on Saturday, 9th February, his words to me were, "maybe another cruise in 12 yrs time". We were bored on the Arcadia. Who wants to do a quiz at 11.45pm of a night. Shows awful. Entertainment dire!! and for the party nights. The DJ James, just played the same tape for every party. In the disco he was playing solitaire on his computer. The poor waiting staff were so busy, one had to ask for a napkin. Food terrible............. Everyone just complained all the time.........word around ship was that only 10% thought it OK.

My age 50 - one of the youngest on board!!

KimmyUk

Well all I can say is that I have read more positive reports than negative ones regarding this cruise and how you can say only 10% thought it was OK is exaggerating to the extreme.

If you did not enjoy the experience then fine, say so but do not claim 90% support when that is clearly tripe.

You do not mention the £100.00 compensation offered for the first day delay?

You do not say what was wrong with the Quiz only that you did not like it in the room you happened to be in. There are other bars to go to.

I repeat if you had a bad time then say so but do not claim that everyone else did to justify your complaints.

:):)Happy Arcadian Cruising:):)

:)Roll on July

:cool:

Dai

Archived