Water Retention and Swollen Ankles and Feet?

ladycaveat

this one....I'm going to order it too and try it out. Just google it....

L'Occitane's anti-water retention gel

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Can you tell me where you purchased the compression stockings, is it at a surgical supply store?

I have an L'Occitane outlet nearby, I am also going to see if they have the water retention gel.

Where can I get the Elemis?

Stephanie

You guys are fantastic! Thank you so much for all the suggestions . . . I am definately going to follow up on the compression stockings and both Elemis and L'Occitaine. By the way . . . where can I find these things? I looked in the drug store on Saturday and no luck . . . :( (Hi Lois . . . :p )

You guys are fantastic! Thank you so much for all the suggestions . . . I am definately going to follow up on the compression stockings and both Elemis and L'Occitaine. By the way . . . where can I find these things? I looked in the drug store on Saturday and no luck . . . :( (Hi Lois . . . :p )

Hi Tammy,:) You can find Elemis on line or probably at Spas

that carry that brand.

I purchased it from Nordstrom's on line. Penny bought it from

Time To Spa on line.

Do you have a Sephora's near you? They sell L'Occitaine.

Penny, I will definitely try using it early in the cruise! Like

the FIRST day on:)

I got my compression socks at Walgreens.

I spoke to my doctor about this swollen ankles/feet and she said there doesn't seem to be one simple reason. For me, I'm very short, and on many of the chairs on a ship, my feet don't touch the floor. If I sit for a long time in those chairs, I can just feel my legs throbbing. Doc said that sitting like that often causes the fluid in your legs to head south towards the feet. She gave me prescription water pills and they didn't help one tiny bit. I start wearing the compression socks on the flight down. I don't add salt to anything but still, the swelling is there. It's gotten to the point that I have to take shoes at least one size larger because of the swelling.

I got my compression socks at Walgreens.

I spoke to my doctor about this swollen ankles/feet and she said there doesn't seem to be one simple reason. For me, I'm very short, and on many of the chairs on a ship, my feet don't touch the floor. If I sit for a long time in those chairs, I can just feel my legs throbbing. Doc said that sitting like that often causes the fluid in your legs to head south towards the feet. She gave me prescription water pills and they didn't help one tiny bit. I start wearing the compression socks on the flight down. I don't add salt to anything but still, the swelling is there. It's gotten to the point that I have to take shoes at least one size larger because of the swelling.

Darcie....I'm tall and my feet definitely touch the floor when I sit...doesn't matter...i stlll swelled up. I had deep depressions on the tops of my feet from my strappy sandals every night, but after using the Elemis last time it was much better..not gone completely, but better and more comfortable.

I found that no matter how many places I looked online the Elemis was always the same price except that I hit Time to Spa when they had a week of free shipping. Assume uniform pricing is the same for the L'Occitaine but I"m willing to try that too as it's so specific about the water retention problem.

I do drink water too...lots of it, and nothing else. No sodas, wine or alcoholic drinks. It sure seems to be a mystery and I've seen men with it too so it's not just us gals. Hope these products will be helpful to those of us who need them.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

We all seem to have our own routines and the swollen

part still happens.

Penny doesn't partake in adult libations......I do. Wine and booze

while on the cruise.

My feet hit the ground too. I live in hot and humid Florida and

they don't swell here but do on a ship.

As for the drinks, it is the one time I usually drink every

day. No, not to "get drunk" but I have a drink in the Martini

Bar before dinner every night. I usually have wine with dinner.

And during the day, A mudslide is usually my choice around

one of the pool bars.

Anyway, Penny, I will let you know how the Elemis

works for me!:)

This happened to DH every time on a cruise. Someone suggested he eats parsley, and guess what, it works. It's a natural diuretic, so yes you need to be close to a bathroom, but he starting eating the garnish on his plate, or asking the waiter for a sprig of parsley in the mornings, and no more problems !

Penny, I just ordered it from Nordstrom's. It was the same price

on every website I looked at but the shipping varied.

I will let you know when it arrives. It should be next week:)

Hi, Lois,

Please be sure to give us your feedback on how this cream/gel worked for you after your cruise. I'm very interested!

Thanks,

Lynn

Penny, I just ordered it from Nordstrom's. It was the same price

on every website I looked at but the shipping varied.

I will let you know when it arrives. It should be next week:)

Hi, Lois,

Please be sure to give us your feedback on how this cream/gel worked for you after your cruise. I'm very interested!

Thanks,

Lynn

I also retain water when I cruise and never at home. The last cruise I went on I ended up taking 2 "water pills" every day and it seemed to help but I still felt a little swollen. I was thinking of contacting the cruise line for my next cruise and ordering a no salt diet. Has anyone done that? I'm wondering if the food will be bland and whether or not they'd offer the same food just without the salt.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

This happened to DH every time on a cruise. Someone suggested he eats parsley, and guess what, it works. It's a natural diuretic, so yes you need to be close to a bathroom, but he starting eating the garnish on his plate, or asking the waiter for a sprig of parsley in the mornings, and no more problems !

Hi Hilary ( and Mick)

What a great idea....it's certainly worth a try!

Hope all is going well down your way

Did you know that for some ppl, drinking too much water actually makes you swollen because it may excrete more sodium and potassium from your body than normal? If you have a too low sodium/potssium count, the doctor will tell you to STOP drinking water until your levels stable.

Boy!!Do I feel so much better after reading all these posts? !!!And also even more perplexed by the mystery of the swollen ankles!! I went on my first cruise last Oct & for the first time ever my ankles swelled up! I just couldn't understand it , my husband suggested it might be the flight and I said no I thought it was something to do with the cruise & when we flew home I had no problem with swelling at all! love the parsley sprig tip but would LOVE to find out why we all swell in the first place (I too have long legs , am active etc so I just dont understand it!!:p :p )

I had my BIG 40 birthday in Vegas this weekend, and I bought some L'Occitane's anti-water retention gel along, just to see if it helped as much as the Elemis (which I am a HUGE fan of) My finding was that it helped a bit, but didn't give me the nice cooling effect that the elemis does-although it did help reduce swelling for both my hubby & me. I do miss the cooling sensation, so I think when cruising to warmer places, I'll stick to the Elemis! I also like that Elemis does double-duty by soothing sore, tired muscles!

I certainly agree that Elemis Gel can be helpful. I purchased some in the spa on Navigator of the Seas in November for the transatlantic trip to Florida when my knee hurt. As a nurse, I always am curious about ingredients - one of several was arnica in combination with a cooling menthol gel. It does work, but I would encourage anyone with a recurring problem to look into support hose. ;)

Graduated compression stockings (or 'support hose') PREVENT swelling if you get them on early enough in the day. Also there are "donning aids" that make it easier to get them on and off!

My advice : Get a good book and keep your feet up.

I have a foot pillow for flights. It's just a blow up cylindrical pillow that I found in some airport shop. It helps me to keep my feet slightly elevated and it also allows me to sort of massage my feet by rolling them back and forth....I think it cuts down on the foot swelling on long flights and it's easy to pack!

Sanbmet - that's a great idea.

Keeping our feet moving on longer flights is important.

Whatever works!

By the way, can anyone tell me why it says "cool cruiser" under my name?

Does it have anything to do with next year's Jan 09 trip on Mariner of the Seas from Florida through the islands & around South America up Mexico's west coast to LA?

While we have cruised since 75, these boards are new to me.

Wow, I had no idea elemis was good at helping water retention. I've been using that stuff for years. I paid a lot less for it on a cruise ship on my honeymoon in 2002 than what it goes for now (it's worth it though) and I just used the last of it the other day :( I have an issue with my saliva gland that causes extreme sudden pain and that gel saved me. I had friend who borrowed some while she was having a hot flash and she loved it so much she ordered a bottle that night. I love that stuff.

I better get some more for my cruise!

I have a foot pillow for flights. It's just a blow up cylindrical pillow that I found in some airport shop. It helps me to keep my feet slightly elevated and it also allows me to sort of massage my feet by rolling them back and forth....I think it cuts down on the foot swelling on long flights and it's easy to pack!

I wear medical compression stockings 30-40mm hg (I think that means how much it squeezes your leg which is A LOT) before we even leave the house. But I also use this handy little thing:

http://www.magellans.com/store/In_Flight_Comfort___Foot_RestsIF477?Args=&refchan=Search

It's kind of heavy, but it slides right in my underseat bag when I fly.

Both of those things have helped my foot/ankle swelling immensely. Thankfully, I don't have a problem once onboard the ship.

Robin