How does the big screen work on Princess

KenAndJulie

I have seen a lot of press about Princess having the giant open-air screen for showing movies etc. How does this work in relation to the sound ? Do the passengers use some sort of wireless headphones or is the sound booming out across the deck (if so then would this not annoy people looking to have a nice quiet read of their book) ?

One other thing, I have almost (very nearly but not quite) got a friend to book a Princess cruise. Him and his wife are very keen to learn skuba ... do they offer lessons on board or do these have to be taken as part of a shore excursion ? Either way does anybody know a rough cost ?

Many thanks

Ken

Hi Ken

The sound from the movie screen didn't really carry away from the immediate area, so we didn't find it intrusive.

We also watched the scuba lessons in the pool - we didn't participate though, so I can't help on the cost. There were only four participants at each of the sessions we saw.

Lynne

Although I do not know the cost of scuba, I know that you have to do some of the work before you go (theory). At one of the Ports of Call you do your dives. So part of the lessons are in the pool then you do a salt water dive. You can also do the second dive if you had no problems. Contact Princess for the details and costs.

The movies show at 7:30pm & 10:30pm.

Can I assume from that, that the movies are only shown during the evening? I was under the impression that films were on during the daytime as well.

Evening performances only would suit me best as I like to sit by that pool and read and would prefer to not use a different one unless I have to.

Laura

I have seen a lot of press about Princess having the giant open-air screen for showing movies etc. How does this work in relation to the sound ? Do the passengers use some sort of wireless headphones or is the sound booming out across the deck (if so then would this not annoy people looking to have a nice quiet read of their book) ?

One other thing, I have almost (very nearly but not quite) got a friend to book a Princess cruise. Him and his wife are very keen to learn skuba ... do they offer lessons on board or do these have to be taken as part of a shore excursion ? Either way does anybody know a rough cost ?

Many thanks

Ken

The sound does come booming across the deck during a feature performance and is more subdued during the day as music videos are played. I would not have thought this to be a place to read a book but I saw quite a few others doing so. For a quiet place to read a book on this ship, on deck, I'd be on one of the side seating areas NOT around a pool, bar or this venue.

during the day they were showing movies such as Splash, Shrek 2, Grease, etc., as well as music videos. the sound was pretty loud on the lower level, a little better on the upper deck. this was a pool where the were several children and families. at night they show two different movies (it was Shrek 2 and 13 Going On 30). you make a reservation, but it was not even full, you can hear pretty well from all the seats.

There are several pools on the top deck, and it's amazing how well the sound is isolated. The movies are shown at the Calypso Reef pool, and the sound in that area is very loud. When you move away from that area it's amazing how well the sound is contained. We spent most of our time at the Neptune's Reef pool. This is where the steel drum band played during the afternoons, and it was very relaxing. The only time that we heard sound bleeding through was if the band was on break and it was a loud part of the movie. There are also adult-only pools near the front and back of the ship that are very quiet, no movies or bands so there really is something for everyone.

We were in cabin D522, 5 decks below the pools. We could hear the movies from above when our door was open. That was the biggest annoyance.

Archived