Darling Harbour.Pacific Dawn

kiwichill

I think that the closest hotel to the pier is Four Points by Sheraton. Very expensive but within walking distance (maybe).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1305

You could possibly get a better rate at priceline. There are plenty of other hotels not too far but you'd need to take a taxi (maybe $10-$15 fare).

This is a hotel we had a number of people stay at last year for our daughter's wedding. It was reasonably priced and quite comfortable -Central Citigate

http://www.mirvachotels.com.au/hotel_detail.asp?hotel=39

There are a number of hotels within walking distance (including the 2 above) but with luggage is a different matter.

Ibis Hotel

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/1757/fiche_hotel.shtml

Novotel

http://www.novoteldarlingharbour.com.au/

Grand Mercure

http://www.grandmercuredarlingharbour.com.au/

Medina grand harbourside,the balconies allow you to see the ship berthed and is less than 100 meters away from wharf 8 and easy access to the city.Walk out the door to all the waterfront resturants,aquarium and boat tours.This is by far the best situated hotel to get on the Dawn in my opinion and When I cruise again from Sydney I will book it again.

Google Earth Sydney CBD and type in Shelly st,or Medina grand harbourside,go to the satelite view,zoom in and see how close it is! The ship in the view at the time is Sun princess I think? but its hard to tell from a birdseye view.

It is close enough to walk down and look at the ship after breakfast at least twice if you want before check out time.

Den.

Where is a good hotel to stay as we are on the Pacific Dawn in August. As we are coming over from NZ , we need to stay one night in Darling Harbour

Our personal favourite is here.

But, we could use a lot more info -

Do you want a view of the harbour \ ship?

Do you want 5 star or budget?

Do you want access to other attractions, or just to eat & sleep?

A point touched on here already, especially if you only want a swim, meal & bed for the night. Seems a lot of people are staying within walking distance and paying top dollar, instead of staying a few kms away for a $50 cheaper room and $20 cabfare that drops you and luggage at the terminal. If you don't have heaps of luggage, you can also save over $150 by staying in Parramatta and travelling by rivercat.

Shortlist some you think are OK, and many here will be happy to provide feedback on them.

Sydney Hotels on Wotif

I managed to get the madina grand for $180 per night with breakfast and a premiere view balcony,thats pretty good value for Sydney and harbourside! I think the rack rate was $400 but I never take any notice of the rack rate!

I stayed at the Meriton on Pit 4 star the time before $110 for a queen,no view or breakfast and quite small room,and the Ridges world square 5 star $170 with breakfast and a monorail station attached,which is pretty easy for getting to Darling harbour.

But the Medina had that little extra with the resturants and waterfont outside and the added excitement of looking at the Dawn from the balcony and it being so close it looked as if you could touch it.

Den.

Always ignore rack rate, but bargains are also relative. When the city\harbour accom has bargains, so do the ones in the suburbs.

We stayed in 5 star in Parramatta for the CC Christmas party in December for under $70. Is a 1 hour river ferry and $7.70pp to Circular Quay, where you can catch another ferry to King St ferry wharf if you want to.

However, we too love a spot where we can watch the ships and easily explore the harbour and city so we usually pay the premium without a second thought. These harbour views are priceless for those that can afford a few extra dollars.

For anyone on a tight budget, there are plenty of quality hotels to be found within $20 cab fare from the harbour.

Star City is another option for a hotel room with a view.

Did you know there is talk of canning the Parramatta Ferry? One of the recommendations out fo the inquiry they had was to have all commuter services only go as far as Rydalmere. Apparently most of the passengers on the Parramatta service are daytrippers, and they think that a private service should manage that.

Archived