Star Princess and Large Travellers

Welcome to cruising - and no worries - YOU'LL BE FINE :) I personally haven't been on the STAR, but Princess takes care of all it's passengers.

In the dining room I've noticed that they will discreetly change chairs from ones with arms to ones without as people walk up to their table. And don't even feel embarrased to ask for one if that's what you need. The lounges are not a problem. I think that in the Theater the seats are pretty square and may be a challenge - but go in when there's nothing happening and check it out.

Do not let size dictate your vacation. That's my motto ;) Have a great time and welcome to Cruise Critic!

You said this is your first cruise, so I just want to put out there about how small the showers are, unless you are in a mini-suite or full suite. I don't want to upset you, but cruise showers are quite small...and the shower curtain also tends to be an issue (I've seen posts where people said they have brought clips to weigh down the bottom, so the curtain doesn't stick to them while showering). Just thought you would want to have some advance notice, as your post is related to personal space and I know how shocked I was on my first cruise.

-- Renée

You said this is your first cruise, so I just want to put out there about how small the showers are, unless you are in a mini-suite or full suite. I don't want to upset you, but cruise showers are quite small...and the shower curtain also tends to be an issue (I've seen posts where people said they have brought clips to weigh down the bottom, so the curtain doesn't stick to them while showering). Just thought you would want to have some advance notice, as your post is related to personal space and I know how shocked I was on my first cruise.

-- Renée

That shower problem really does get me wondering. I have seen some very very large passengers onboard, and I always wondered how in the world they fit in the showers, it would be almost impossible for some, especially with the fixed shower head on the wall that is not removable. The showers are so small, even someone just over 200 pounds (like my DH) has a tough time in them, so we always book at least a mini suite to take care of that issue.

We have a friend that is about 6'3" and weighs over 300 pounds, he had to move up to a mini suite as he just couldn't fit into the shower. :(

Thanks for the replies !! We are indeed booked in a mini-suite so the bathroom shouldn't be a problem. We're very much looking forward to getting our feet wet. By the looks of it (from many of you posters here), once you go cruise you never go back.

Have a great first cruise, and I am sure the mini suite will fit the bill for you. ;)

I've read on this board that if height is an issue, you actually have less head room in the mini-suite bathtub/shower combo on the Grand Class ships than in a balcony cabin shower. Is that true? If so, is this not an issue in the Sun Class mini suites because of the separate shower?

I've read on this board that if height is an issue, you actually have less head room in the mini-suite bathtub/shower combo on the Grand Class ships than in a balcony cabin shower. Is that true? If so, is this not an issue in the Sun Class mini suites because of the separate shower?

Yes, there is a large difference for height in the mini suite tub/shower combination. We had a friend that was 6'4" and he had a tough time with hitting his head on the ceiling in the tub combo in the mini suite. The height in the regular staterooms of the shower is much higher.

To the OP - Kelly K had a great point about the dining room chairs. Don't be afraid to ask for a chair without the arms. They always kill my back by the end of dinner and the waiters are always gracious when changing them around.

As everyone said, you will be fine in the mini. Hope this is the start of a great way to travel for you.

By the looks of it (from many of you posters here), once you go cruise you never go back.

Speaking for myself...I was reluctant to go on my first cruise...small cabin, lots of crowds...seasickness...or so I thought. We boarded, had a GREAT lunch, and I found myself on the top deck at the sail away, looking down at the pool, a band playing...people dancing...nursing an "adult beverage" and smoking a fine cigar. I was hooked...and we weren't yet 20 yards from the pier. It's the ultimate relaxing vacation...and you will feel like king and queen of the world. ENJOY!!

:D I am an average size woman(maybe nowadays smaller than average) ,not self conscious about my body ,but I must say that one of the greatest things I noticed on a Princess cruise ship last year was how comfortable,tolerant,& accepting everyone was about people of every size,shape,& physical ability or disability. I saw people challenged in so many ways that I thought most families would leave at home,and they were having a wonderful time. I never noticed any of the whispers/snickering remarks one often witnesses in public places on land. It was amazing,refreshing, and made cruising a pleasure. Crew are helpful & patient as far as I saw. I had a minisuite & found it spacious compared to what I expected of any cruise cabin. Everyone on there is there for the same purpose-to have fun. As for the shower in the minisuite,it was great ,but I didn't really notice ht. issues as I am 5' 51/2" . I think I would prefer a little bit of a crouch to cramming in a smaller cabin bathroom if one can manage to book the mini.

We have a friend that is about 6'3" and weighs over 300 pounds, he had to move up to a mini suite as he just couldn't fit into the shower. :(

I'm bigger in both dimensions and handle the shower fine, even when I dropped the soap LOL. I wouldn't build a shower that small at home, but for a vacation, it's no problem.

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in May and were wondering about the leg/hip room. Is there anything we should be concerned about or are the public areas pretty roomy? From what we can see the cabin should be just fine (we've booked a mini-suite).

Did you go to the Roll Call board, pick you ship, and find the date of your sailing and you will be linked up with other on your cruise. You might find others that are dealing with issue on your cruise that you have not thought of.

As someone who sailed on the Star when I used to be over 300 lbs., I can tell you that the seats in the Princess Theater are a real problem. Even as I was losing weight, they continued to be a problem for a long time. They just are not very wide.

My solution was either to stand over near the side balconies near the stage or the best solution was to ask the staff to bring a chair to the back of the theater. They were willing to do it; it just took a little to find someone to do it. The only problem with that solution is the back is very far back and I'm someone who prefers to sit near the front.

As someone mentioned, the dining room has chairs without arms, so it is no problem to grab one of those nearby.

The shows that are in the Vista Show Lounge are the best for large people as the seats are couch-like. However, I don't remember having any problems in the Explorer's Lounge or the Wheelhouse either.

I remember worrying about the same issue on my first cruise, but you will do fine! Have a great time!

On my first Princess cruise I was significantly heavier than I am now. (180 lbs down and counting...)

My dining room chair was changed to one without arms before I had a chance to even ask. My room steward also got me a large-sized life jacket. I didn't have to ask for that either (not that I would have known TO ask).

The staff will take care of your needs. As for the shower, I don't remember having a problem with the size.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks !! We appreciate all the wonderful feedback on how well you all have been looked after onboard. Now that we know all is well in the 'roominess' category our biggest concern will be which excursions to take in each port. If only all decisions were as fun to make as that !! Thanks again, these boards are a tremedous help. So many nice people, hope to meet you all 'onboard' one day.

Speaking for myself...I was reluctant to go on my first cruise...small cabin, lots of crowds...seasickness...or so I thought. We boarded, had a GREAT lunch, and I found myself on the top deck at the sail away, looking down at the pool, a band playing...people dancing...nursing an "adult beverage" and smoking a fine cigar. I was hooked...and we weren't yet 20 yards from the pier. It's the ultimate relaxing vacation...and you will feel like king and queen of the world. ENJOY!!

Just don't do that whole leaning off the bow with your arms spread out thing, especially after nursing some "adult beverages".:D

Archived