Anyone every stay at Miami Biscayne Bay

JodiDelF

We're staying at the Miami Biscayne Bay a night before departure on Carnival Freedom. Won on priceline for $77.00. Has anyone every stayed there? We want a restaurant referral for some cuban food near the hotel (can't wait to try plantations)! We're also looking to rent a car from FLL to the hotel. Any referral for car rentals? Thanks! Wow-this is a loaded question.

Could you possibly mean the Marriott Biscayne Bay? It's in the downtown area - next to a Doubletree, I believe. Sort of an old property, but the room was actaully very clean and comfortable, and the front desk personnel and bell staff were very accommodating and pleasant, even though there were something like 300+ people checking out and same number checking in when we were there a few weeks ago!! We took a cab to Joe's Stone Crabs for dinner, and it was not more than 20 minutes - think the cab fare was $14 going and a bit less coming back. There was one glitch: The hotel lost electricity for awhile around 3 a.m. Fortunately we tried our safe as soon as we got up; it wouldn't open, of course, because the code had been 'lost' in the outage. But security was there within about 10 minutes and opened it for us. Another couple had to have the lock DRILLED open, however, and JUST made the transfer to the ship!

Altho Joe's Stone Crab is a great restaurant - it is not Cuban. Ask the desk clerk or any hotel employee about cuban restaurants in the area. And be sure and ask for plantains - not plantations !!:p

Rental car is cheaper and you can rent in Ft. Lauderdale and drop off in Miami. Ask which one has a location downtown - I'm sorry I don't remember which one.

MaryAnn

Yes, I meant Plantains - not plantations. Just a little typo :D . My husband is cracking up right now as I type. I know there is a Marriot Biscayne-but the one we have booked through priceline is Miami Biscayne Hotel. They are different, but thanks so much for the great info. I guess the Hilton just took over this hotel and I am hoping for the hotel to live up to the Hilton name. Oh and thank you for the info on the rental car. We found out that Enterprise has a drop off right in the hotel, so we may use them. Thanks guys...

I stayed there a couple weeks ago for one night and paid $149 on a AAA rate. So that Priceline price was a great win.

That hotel was formerly a Radisson and it is being refurbished and will become a Hilton in March. My room had not been refurbished yet but it was a very nice room with a great view. The Doubletree and Marriott are adjacent. Also adjacent is a Metromover station where you can take the trains to the downtown station just a block over from Bayside Marketplace. That would save from paying to park at Marketplace. It does cost $28 to park at this hotel though. Valet parking gets you in-and-out rights whereas regular parking does not. I never saw more than one person working the front desk so check-in can be very slow. I think that will improve once Hilton takes over, but not until then.

I like a restaurant chain around Miami that's called Latin American Cafeteria. It's not a cafeteria but a sit-down restaurant with great Cuban food and very moderate prices.

BobK/Orlando

As I said I stayed there last week for one-night. If you happen to end up taking a cab to the hotel from anywhere you can give the driver the hotel name but you'll be better off telling him/her it's the former Radisson Downtown. That's how they know it. (Not one of them recognized it by the new name.) Hilton has taken over but they haven't officially branded it as a Hilton yet - in other words no Hilton Honors points, etc. and won't until they finish redoing it all which they are working on. The room we were given had not been redone although the bathroom had and was beautiful. There were no complaints on the room though - a few scratches on the desk and the carpeting was a little worn near the door but it was all clean and trouble free.

I called the day before we were to arrive and requested an early check-in along with a room overlooking the pier so we would be able to see our cruise ship when we woke up in the morning. When we arrived at 11am all the notes were in our reservation and our room with a view was ready and waiting for us. We didn't eat at a Cuban place so I can't help you there - being from up north we wanted Joe's Stone Crabs, then it was down to Bayside for drinks and fresh air which we can't get at home without freezing to death.

If you have any other hotel questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

There is an Enterprise car rental at the hotel. We have rented a car for the day from Enterprise at FLL and plan to go to West Palm Beach for the day (Waterpark for the kids) and then travel to the hotel that evening and turn in the car. An SUV cost us approx 160 for the day.

Bill

We're staying at the Miami Biscayne Bay a night before departure on Carnival Freedom. Won on priceline for $77.00. Has anyone every stayed there? We want a restaurant referral for some cuban food near the hotel (can't wait to try plantations)! We're also looking to rent a car from FLL to the hotel. Any referral for car rentals? Thanks! Wow-this is a loaded question.

Bongos is downtown and is a fairly good. Owned by Gloria Estefan. Versailles is much better but a farther cab ride.

We are also thinking of staying at the new Miami Biscayne (old Radisson). Thanks for the reviews that have been written so far. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed there since barbarah33 and kingbob to hear how the renovations are going. Is it noisy/dusty? Are the hotel staff still the same people from Radisson or has Hilton moved their people in yet? Any issues with theft?

Thanks all for your usual great advice!

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and I believe it was $24. Miami has set rates for the airport depending on where you are; what region, so it's very easy and you don't have to worry about having the price hiked up by the driver taking you 'the long way.'

I stayed there a couple weeks ago for one night and paid $149 on a AAA rate. So that Priceline price was a great win.

That hotel was formerly a Radisson and it is being refurbished and will become a Hilton in March. My room had not been refurbished yet but it was a very nice room with a great view. The Doubletree and Marriott are adjacent. Also adjacent is a Metromover station where you can take the trains to the downtown station just a block over from Bayside Marketplace. That would save from paying to park at Marketplace. It does cost $28 to park at this hotel though. Valet parking gets you in-and-out rights whereas regular parking does not. I never saw more than one person working the front desk so check-in can be very slow. I think that will improve once Hilton takes over, but not until then.

I like a restaurant chain around Miami that's called Latin American Cafeteria. It's not a cafeteria but a sit-down restaurant with great Cuban food and very moderate prices.

BobK/Orlando

Hey Bob,

is the Metromover very close to the hotel and is it safe in the early evening?

Thanks

Archived