Cruise advice? traveling with toddler & infant!

kjsmom

any thoughts to parents who have cruised with kids welcome.

I am aware of the kids camp for 3-12 yo's. I also have a 6 mo old wth us as well. do they have sitters for kids that age? anyone know the cost on the Jewel?

DH and I were hoping to be able to swim with the rays on one of the excursions. We can only do it if we can get a sitter to watch the kids on the ship(unless the sitters are allowed to go off boat?)

anything you wished you packed? we will be in a balcony room. hoping it will be enough space for us plus a crib.

you seasoned cruisers have been so helpful. if the ships are filled with travelers like this, I can see how this can be addictive!

many thanks in advance:)

we took our two on our last cruise, at the time my son was under 2, there is NO baby sitting for children under 2 and you have to have them with you at all times, we did see "babysitting" mentioned on the NCL site but this is for children over 2, they did have a place that we could take our son but we would have had to stay with him while he played.

I'll be cruising in March with my then 13 month old DS, so I can't offer any advice just yet. But I wanted to tell you to check out the Family Cruising board here on CC. They have tons and tons of info over there. I read it regularly to get advice on travelling with kids. We are bringing our DD (14) and her friend so they will babysit a little so DH and I can go out, and to help us out on excursions.

wow! thankx for clarifying the babysitting age limits. we were thinking of buying the excusion for the rays online-before the trip.

it would have been a huge disappointment to find out that they don't babysit infants after the fact.

is that with all cruise ships? I chose NCL bc the TA said aside from Disney, it was the most "family friendly" of the ships. I hope it wasn't just a sales pitch...

Any suggestions for excursions WITH our 3yo & 6mo old dd's?

wow! thankx for clarifying the babysitting age limits. we were thinking of buying the excusion for the rays online-before the trip.

it would have been a huge disappointment to find out that they don't babysit infants after the fact.

is that with all cruise ships? I chose NCL bc the TA said aside from Disney, it was the most "family friendly" of the ships. I hope it wasn't just a sales pitch...

Any suggestions for excursions WITH our 3yo & 6mo old dd's?

your travel agent is completely correct. they do not charge for kids under 2 except for the required taxes and port charges, they allow 2 year olds if potty trained in the kids program, plus freestyle works well for families. The kids program is a good one, and the crew loves the babies, but child care isn't available on any cruise lines for ones as young as 6 months I do not think.

Nita

We were on Holland America in November when our little guy was 5 months old. Bring a comfy stroller, but not a super huge one. The umbrella type may be too uncomfortable for the 6 month old.

We let our baby sleep in bed with us, so the pack and play wasn't used.

The best excursions are the beach ones. I wouldn't even bother with anything else. Unfortunately you will not be able to get a sitter for your cruise although the staff will love to visit with you and the baby as most of them have children back at home and haven't seen them in ages. We were taken care of very well by everyone who we encountered.

Also, bring good hats that tie up under the chin as you don't want to lose them. We brought a purse sized soft cooler that we packed our baby's bottles in which was a great help as he drank a lot on the trip in the heat.

We didn't try any of the shows as we were worried he may cry or fuss and bother other people. We mostly walked around and hung out on our balcony. It was a great trip and I woudl take a baby again in a heartbeat!! In fact we are booked on the 11 night Mexico cruise in October and our litle guy will be 16 months at that time.

Have fun!!

PS Check out the family cruising board as they have lots of good ideas!

Not that this is relevant to you, OP, but for others, NCL accepts all children 2 and up in their kids program. If the child is not potty trained, they will give you a beeper and notify you if a diaper needs to be changed. Since they do allow diapered children, they are pretty strict on the potty trained ones. IF your child is going to wear underwear, they require a child to be 100% potty trained - meaning no assistance by an adult in the bathroom (to pull down or up pants/wipe etc). Although they do seem to supervise the handwashing to make sure it's effective. My daughter came back from her first time at kids club insisting that she needed to sing the entire ABC song with suds on her hands before rinsing - which we should all do, of course, but they clearly enforce that rule in kids club.

As for other cruise lines babysitting policies, I know for certain that RCCL does have private, in-room babysitting for $8/hour on a first come first served basis. You make a request for a sitter, guet relations tries to find one for you. Sitting is only provided in the evening though, not for an excursion, and the minimum age is one.

One suggestion. Is there any way you can take a baby sitter with you? My niece just got back from a cruise with her neighbors and their children. They paid her way( except on board expenses). She was glad to get to go, and watched the kids at night and when the parents did a few excursions. They did an AB and she got the small room and usually slept on the bunk and she kept the three year (her choice) with her in that room. The baby stayed with mom and dad. THey all had a great time. They set all the rules in advance and no one was unhappy at all.:D

What great advice. ;)

I tried searching the family boards, but most of it wasn't relavent for NCL.

There is such a dizzying amount of posts to comb through...

As a mom of 2, with a hubby who travels a lot for work-I get overwhelmed and sooo looking forward to this cruise!

where would you book shore excursions and know they are legit?

we are docking at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. am I crazy to think we could take the kids along to the "swim with the rays" and take turns going in?

runnerandme- wish a sitter was in the budget, but not on this trip.:o

would a double stroller be too hard to navigate on a ship and ashore?

a double stroller would be difficult on the ship, the hallways are not to wide, we took two full size single strollers on our last trip and on our next trip I plan to take one umbrella stroller and one full size, the full size are great because they have the basket under and you can pack it full of all the stuff you have to take and the things you buy.( but this does take up room in the cabin.)

Many of the islands have a travel web site and they have links to the attractions which will tell you the cost and also tell you where they are on the island, many are a taxi ride away or within walking distance, still works out less expensive than booking with the ship. many of the islands have mini zoos, parks, museums, ect which are all fun for the kids. you could probably contact the company that does the excursion you want and ask about how it would work with small children.

What great advice. ;)

I tried searching the family boards, but most of it wasn't relavent for NCL.

There is such a dizzying amount of posts to comb through...

As a mom of 2, with a hubby who travels a lot for work-I get overwhelmed and sooo looking forward to this cruise!

where would you book shore excursions and know they are legit?

we are docking at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. am I crazy to think we could take the kids along to the "swim with the rays" and take turns going in?

runnerandme- wish a sitter was in the budget, but not on this trip.:o

would a double stroller be too hard to navigate on a ship and ashore?

I would not suggest taking the baby on any excursion where you will be in the water off a boat. There are just too many things that could happen.

The problem with double wide strollers is that they are just too big, both on the ship or anywhere. If you can find a front and back two seater those are great. When ours were little we had one of those and it was perfect. Much easier to use on the ship, and I have no idea if they still make them.

One other suggestion. Remember to take everything the baby might need and then double the number of clothes, diapers and wipes, and food because there is no where to get it once you are on board.

Best of luck, you are braver than we would have been with ones that small!

I second the thought about the double stroller. First, I hope that you’re talking about the kind where one sits behind the other. Because, there is no way you could fit a stroller on board where they can sit next to each other. :) Just my opinion, but I think that you will be more comfortable bringing a single stroller for the baby to sleep in beside you at dinner, at the pool, etc. And perhaps bringing an umbrella stroller for the occasion that you might need it for your toddler(airport, cruise terminal, ports, etc). An umbrella stroller will also fit under the bed...and your going to need the room!

I would suggest checking over at the ‘port of calls’ board for your excursions. We just returned from Grand Cayman…and used Native Way tours for our excursion. We had plenty of time to trade off at both the snorkeling stop and the swim with the rays...and it was well worth it. Depending on your toddler, you might even be able to carry them at the rays stop. We brought our two year old…but I would suggest checking with each tour company to make sure they will accommodate a 6 month old.

The crib in the balcony room is going to make things tight. But hey, that’s just the way it is. :) Will your toddler be OK sleeping on the sofa, without it being out?…because I don’t think that you can have both the sofa bed out and a crib. We we’re in a mini-suite with a little extra room, and still couldn’t do it.

How old is your toddler?

the other thing that is nice about two strollers is when the older one is at the kids center you dont have to have such a huge stroller to push around, and if one falls asleep and the other wants to run around the ship (like mine did) you can seperate and still have the stroller with you for when they tire out, that way you are not carrying a 3yr old from the far end of the ship.

The other thing I would bring if you can is a portable DVD player,we hooked ours up to the tv in the room, this is really useful in the mornings while you are getting dressed and in the evenings before the childrens programs start back up again my two loved to watch their favorite movies.

Dont forget the colouring books, it helps if you want to eat in the main dinning rooms, keeps the children from running around, we usually asked to be seated in a less crowded area (so other guests did not get upset if they did act up) and we were actually seated in the same place every night, we arranged this with the staff in the resturant, other wise with NCL you usually sit somewhere different each time.

• Administrators

I am aware of the kids camp for 3-12 yo's. I also have a 6 mo old wth us as well. do they have sitters for kids that age? anyone know the cost on the Jewel?

DH and I were hoping to be able to swim with the rays on one of the excursions. We can only do it if we can get a sitter to watch the kids on the ship(unless the sitters are allowed to go off boat?)

anything you wished you packed? we will be in a balcony room. hoping it will be enough space for us plus a crib.

you seasoned cruisers have been so helpful. if the ships are filled with travelers like this, I can see how this can be addictive!

Okay, I checked to see if anyone had referred you to the Family Cruising forum here at CC, and nobody had, so here's the link -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

This is a wonderful community made up of (for the most part) parents who cruise with their kids of all ages. You will find scads of useful information and tips, including the "blow up pool" tip. Maybe that will help, too.

My advice... and I'm being serious here... leave the kids with Grandma or some other relative and you and hubby go on the cruise just the two of you.

Both of your kids are so young they won't know the difference. They'll be just a happy (or happier) with grandpa giving them candy at his house every ten minutes at his house than in a cramped cruise ship cabin and being left with strangers (baby sitters) every other hour.

I posted the other night but it didn't go through...I can't believe that

you would actually consider leaving your children on board the ship,

with virtual strangers, while you go snorkling.

What if something happened to you on land or the babies on the boat?

I don't mean to sound mean, but I think this is horrible.

Why are you bringing these babies, they certainly won't remember it and I can't imagine you'll enjoy it. If you want to cruise, do so but realize that it is a whole different experience with little ones.

I hope you'll rethink this and do not leave them on the ship alone ( I would hope it isn't allowed )

Why are you bringing these babies, they certainly won't remember it and I can't imagine you'll enjoy it. If you want to cruise, do so but realize that it is a whole different experience with little ones.

Just curious. . .are you speaking from experience??? Have you ever taken a baby on a cruise??? I have and I can tell you that my DD was 15 months on her first cruise and it was the most amazing trip for all of us. It was my fourth cruise, but the first with my 2 children and it was the best yet.

While it's true that she is not going to remember specifics from the trips, the overall experience is something that is going to be with her the rest of her life. Travel is so important to the growth and development of young children. Even my DGF, who is in the early stages of alzheimers, remebers with amazing clarity the special things he did with his family when he was a child as young as my son.

We are getting ready to embark on our next family cruise in a few months, DD is already talking about going to the beach and playing in the ball pit because these are things she REMEMEBERS from the last trip.

I know it half crazy to say this . But I bet their will be a bunch of teen age girls on the ship. I bet you you get one to babysit while your on the ship . So you can have dinner or go see a show with out the new born . I am sure by talking to the girl , her parents you could tell if you think she a good fit .

Bring a blow up bath .

If you can I think its better to have to connecting cabins .

your own sheets for the pack and play.

In answer to your question, yes I have traveled with my children and grandchildren from the time they were infants. That was not my point.

I was and am amazed that you would consider leaving those babies on the ship, while you went on a shore excursion.

How and where to travel with babies, is a personal choice and the thing to remember is that the babies will not remember it but you will have the memories.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers but do feel strongly about leaving them.

Enjoy your trip

I was and am amazed that you would consider leaving those babies on the ship, while you went on a shore excursion.

That was actually the OP's question not mine. I have never left my children on the cruise and don't intend on doing it this time either:D I agree with you that it's not a good idea, especially when they are so young.

Thanks for clarifying your original post. There are some on these boards that think children should be banned from cruise ships altogether and often these threads turn ugly. Some of us get a little defensive. I see now that your post was intended to offer advice, so no ruffled feathers here;)

...I can't believe that

you would actually consider leaving your children on board the ship,

with virtual strangers, while you go snorkling.

What if something happened to you on land or the babies on the boat?

I don't mean to sound mean, but I think this is horrible.

First, I appreciate your concern. Thank you. My daughter, who will be 4 in March, has traveled pretty extensively with us since she was an infant. We have been to many places where they have wonderful kids clubs.

On a different perspective, TripAdvisor.com readers have ranked FDR resorts #1 for families-you get a personal nanny for your entire stay.

And Beaches Resorts is the #1 family all inclusive for family travel. And then of coarse, The Disney Cruises.

We have not been to FDR, but have to Beaches Resorts. The beauty of it is that they have wonderful kids clubs for ones as young as newborn. My daughter was 2 at the time. I noticed the nursery seemed to have every crib filled. Parents are given pagers in case they need to be notified. There were many activities that were for adults only. One of the more popular-a boat ride to a snorkeling spot. My dh and I did participate in that excursion and had a wonderful time.

I hope you'll rethink this and do not leave them on the ship alone ( I would hope it isn't allowed )

You are right, it is a whole different experience with the kids. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Aside from taking an occasional 3 hr excursion on a week long trip, I do enjoy spending and sharing the experience with my kids.

My older daughter has an amazing memory, and she does remember going to the Sesame Street Beach(Beaches Resorts), the Hula dancers in Hawaii, and more.

Again, I respect our difference of opinion.

Archived