Local Food and Local Restaurants

Heidict

I was wondering, from all you locals, what is a good restaurant to get local "specialties" at?

What are some of the local flavors that we shouldn't miss? Conch?

What are the prices at the restaurants?

We are looking for someplace casual for lunch, nothing fancy. Something more local then touristy.

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
Islander....Is there somewhere special that will be open for lunch on Thanksgiving day? We usually do The Greenhouse but didn't know if there was somewhere else you would recommend (that would be open for lunch on Thanksgiving day). As always, many thanks!

I called Gladys and they said they are open on Sundays as long as there are ships in port from 8-2:30pm.

Skiiergirl; Greenhouse is a cool hangout. Are you looking for something more romantic, more formal, something similar to Greenhouse??

--Islander
VInow.com

We ate at great place a few years ago in St Thomas. I think it was called Herve's.
The seafood crepes were great! and the frozen drinks were very good also.
It was reccommended to us by a "local", it is a couple of blocks off of the main shopping area and up some steps. There were 6 in our party and everyone was very happy.
I would definately go again.

Islander....I really didn't have anything in mind. Other than...not romantic. There will be 6 of us in all age groups so romantic isn't exactly what I had in mind. We always enjoy the Greenhouse but just thought maybe there was somewhere else you would recommend so thought I'd ask. Since we will be there on Thanksgiving Day with family (and the week after just the 2 of us) just thought maybe we'd do something different for lunch. I know there are restaurants up and down the passages but don't know anything about them. We have eaten at the Greenhouse mostly and a couple of times "snacked" at the place a few doors down with the frozen drinks (patio restaurant)...I don't remember the name. I think we have figured out most (probably not all...but most) of the stores wll be open Thanksgiving Day since it sounds like there will be several ships in port. Just trying to think ahead as to what to plan to do after we finish shopping and/or if the stores are closed. Thanks for any ideas you might have. (We may end up at the Greenhouse anyway but thought I'd ask for suggestions.)

Hello Skiiergirl,

Café Amici in the AH Riise Mall is a good place to eat, not sure they would be open on Thanksgiving Day though. Herve's, suggested above, is more of a fine dining atmosphere as compared to Greenhouse - it has a great view, good food and service. Gladys and Cuzzins are good for local food. Greenhouse just did some renovations, larger dining area. Tavern on the Waterfront is another good choice. Ahhhh so many places to eat... If you were heading to Frenchtown - Hook, Line and Sinker is a good one.

--Islander
[url]www.vinow.com[/url]

Ok Islander....If you were going out to eat (in C.A.) which one would you choose....Greenhouse, Gladys, Cuzzins, Waterfront Tavern, other? First and second choice. I'm sure they are all great but we will only have one meal there (Thanksgiving Day) and then possibly the one day we are there the next week too. Thanks! (We don't want anything formal. Price is not an issue. We just want to be able to go in our shorts as we are shopping. We generally have nachos, soup, burgers,BBC, beer, etc. but are definitely open to suggestions. Thanks!

Archived