Family cruising - how far in advance??

cinamongirl

Although we have cruised before, we are thinking about taking the kids on a cruise next year (They will be 9,6 & 2). After reading some of the posts on Disney, it appears that you have to book really early in order to get a cabin that would accomodate 5 people. Is this the case for other cruiselines? In addition to a family suite should I also be considering two adjoining cabins? We were looking at carnival as well but I am having a hard time finding info on "family" & adjoining cabins. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I will suggest you try to book 9 months in advance especially if you try to book for Summer time. Disney only have limit "Deluxe Family Stateroom with Verandah" that can sleep 5. My Family did it 2.5 years ago and we booked it November for Aug Cruise. One thing for sure -- Disney is a very good Cruise line for family like yours. I am sure you will enjoy it. :D

I would suggest booking pretty far in advance for Disney. They only have two ships and only one goes on week long+ cruises. This coupled with rising prices makes me believe that you'll get your best deal as soon as you lock in your dates.

Absolutely book as far in advance as possible if you want either a family room or connecting stateroom. Price out family rooms versus connecting cabins. Frequently getting two connecting cabins will be less than getting a family stateroom.

RCCL, especially on their newer ships, have tons of family staterooms that can accommodate 5 or more people so you might look at them as well. You can't book them over the internet though so you have to either call the cruiseline directly or book through a travel agent. I have posted a list in the past of all of RCCL's family stateroom options with descriptions of the rooms and the ships they are on. Give me a little while and I'll see if I can find it for you.

I believe NCL has some cabins on some of their ships that will accommodate 5 people.

I know Celebrity has FOV category staterooms that will accommodate 5 people.

I know you are currently considering Disney or Carnival, but you may also want to consider RCCL.

Here is what I have posted in the past about the options for a family of 5 on Royal Caribbean

RCCL has several options for family rooms that are specifically designed to hold 5 (or more people). They require a minimum of 5 people to book and cannot be booked online. You have to call RCCL or book with a travel agent in order to book more than 4 people in a room.

Your options for 5 people (or more) on RCCL ships:

Grand Suites and Owners Suites - RCCL will allow you to put a 5th person in these suites. They bring in a rollaway bed for the 5th person.

Family Inside Stateroom - requires a minimum of 5 people to book, holds max 6 people. All of our Family Staterooms can accommodate up to six people, with two twin beds, sofa and/or Pullman beds. Other amenities include a minibar and sitting area. Found on Freedom class and Enchantment of the Seas

Family Promenade Stateroom - requires a minimum of 5 people to book, holds max 6 people. All of our Family Staterooms can accommodate up to six people, with two twin beds, sofa and/or Pullman beds. Other amenities include a minibar and sitting area. Found on Freedom class only

Family Oceanview Stateroom - requires a minimum of 5 people to book, holds max 6 people. All of our Family Ocean View Staterooms can accommodate up to six people, with two twin beds, sofa and/or Pullman beds. Other amenities include a minibar (except on Vision of the Seas) and sitting area. Radiance class, Voyager class, Freedom class, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, and Vision of the Seas

Royal Family Suite - requires a minumum of 5 people to book, holds a max of 8 people. Has 2 bedrooms AND 2 bathrooms, plus because it is a suite you get concierge lounge access (on ships that have a concierge lounge). On most ships, our Royal Family Suite has enough space to accommodate eight people, with two bedrooms including four twin beds, two Pullman beds and a double sofa bed. All have a separate living area, two bathrooms, vanity area and refrigerator, among their amenities. Vision class, Radiance class, Voyager class, Freedom Class, Majesty of the Seas, and Monarch of the Seas

Presidential Family Suite - requires a minimum of 8 people to book, holds a max of 14 people. The Presidential Family Suite has four bathrooms, a spacious living area with entertainment center and flat screen TV. The private balcony includes a whirlpool, wet bar, lounge chairs and an al fresco dining area that seats fourteen. Freedom class only

Remember to price out connecting staterooms versus the family staterooms, because many times two connecting staterooms are less expensive than the family staterooms. On RCCL's Voyager class and Freedom class, they have a couple of inside cabins that have a connecting door with a balcony stateroom (they also have oceanview cabins with a connecting door to a balcony stateroom). So that might be an option as well.

For us, RC has provided great, family friendly service at reasonable prices. As other posters have stated, they have numerous options too for families without having to book multiple rooms. Plus, if you are an active family, they have many "sporting" activities onboard.

Whoever you go with though, my advice would be to book as far in advance as possible. The price only seems to go up and the selection goes down, especially during the peak travel times (like summer, and school breaks).

Family Oceanview Stateroom - requires a minimum of 5 people to book, holds max 6 people. All of our Family Ocean View Staterooms can accommodate up to six people, with two twin beds, sofa and/or Pullman beds. Other amenities include a minibar (except on Vision of the Seas) and sitting area. Radiance class, Voyager class, Freedom class, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, and Vision of the Seas

We booked a Family Oceanview Stateroom with 4 so I'm not sure if the minimum of 5 is always true. In my opinion, more than 4 in this room might be a tad cramped.

It shouldn’t hurt if you book early (Just make sure you know the cancellation and re-booting policy) -- If you book too early and find a better deal, you can always re-book. You may only paid a small amount for TA fee for re-booking. :(

We booked a Family Oceanview Stateroom with 4 so I'm not sure if the minimum of 5 is always true. In my opinion, more than 4 in this room might be a tad cramped.

If there is a family oceanview available as it gets close to sailing (usually after final payment date), then they will do away with the minimum booking requirements. But it is not that common for it to happen.

We booked about 5-6 months in advance on Carnival-i wanted a Jr suite or something with extra space so DH and i could hang out and watch TV and just be awake after the kids went to bed-it was cheaper to get a balcony with an adjoining interior room-and I got the last of that combo at 6 months in advance...

If there is a family oceanview available as it gets close to sailing (usually after final payment date), then they will do away with the minimum booking requirements. But it is not that common for it to happen.

Interesting. We booked about 5 months in advance so I guess that we got very lucky. 4 was a perfect number for this room so it is too bad that you typically have to have 5.

One thing to keep in mind though is that your 2 year old will not be able to take part in the childrens program on Royal Carribean. They do have some short session you can take WITH your child but they only take 3 years+ and potty trained kiddos! They do however offer in room babysitting which would be nice.

We are cruising with Carnival for our boys 1st cruise this summer since our little one will be just 3 and he isn't potty trained at this point and I didn't want to take any chances. I know he would be devistated if his older brother got to go to "camp" and he had to stay with boring old mom and dad!

Just something to keep in mind!

Good Luck planning and booking.

We booked about 5-6 months in advance on Carnival-i wanted a Jr suite or something with extra space so DH and i could hang out and watch TV and just be awake after the kids went to bed-it was cheaper to get a balcony with an adjoining interior room-and I got the last of that combo at 6 months in advance...

Could you tell me more about these adjoining rooms? Was it a windowless room but facing the exterior of the ship? What ship was it on? Thanks :) .

Archived