Santorini with five ships in port

Sorry, but it'll be a friggin circus trying to get up that tram. Maybe you'll luck out and arrive before the other ships. Otherwise, I'd just pack my patience.

I'm not sure you have too many alternatives - walk up the steps? :eek: Ride the donkeys? :eek: Maybe booking a ship tour will get you up faster...

Hi There

We were in Santorini in October & there were only three boats but it was mega busy!!

The best tip I can offer is the tip we were given & followed thanks to cruise critic.

Book a trip on board as this will ensure you are off first of all via a tender boat to another port on the island. We then boarded a coach for a tour of the island & went to the highest point (wow a great view of the entire island). We then stopped at a bar on the way back for an included meze the the coach dropped us back in the main town. We then walked around town & walked back down the steps to catch the launch back to the ship. We had no queue's to contend with & the walk back down the steps is easy. It is very unfair on the donkey's & it looked very cruel the way they are treated & I am not even a big time animal lover!!!

Marc

I was there in October with two large ships. We took a ships tour in the morning which uses that tender pier by the road. After lunch on the ship we took the cable car up. There was no line going up. But as soon as we exited, we saw a huge line coming down. Took about 30 minutes. That was with only two ships. Expect big crowds.

• 2 weeks later...

whale-watcher, what cruise are you on. We are on Brilliance of the Seas departing on 8.21.08. We are going back and forth on what to do in Santorini. The trip sounds great but a little pricey given all our other excursions, but hey, you only live once and it sound fabulous!

Any ideas of how to minimize long lines and throngs of people? I have also posted on the ports of call section. I haven't been to Santorini in thirty years. There were only ferries from AThens back then.

Something you might like to look at is A: the size of the ships, it could be far worse or better than a normal 5 ships. And B: the times that the ships get in and leave. If you get in a 7 and they don't get in until 9 you might want to plan to leave the ship very early.

We have four ships in port with us, one's tiny, so not worried about that, but we arrive before the other biggy. Also, all the ships leave at 1:00 or 1:30 and we don't leave until 6 so I'll be staying away from the cable cars around 11 - 12.

VangaurdLA--I found a nifty web site cruisecal.com that tells you all sorts of things, including what ships in which ports on certain days. There are also some webcam links. I was very nervous about Santorini as well, but we're cruising in May and will be the only ship that day.:D

Archived