Anybody cruise twice on the Jewel?

bobbygirl

I will be going again March 9th, I am twice as excited and even more prepared, I can't wait. Write you when I get back, the anticipation is even more than last time as I know what a wonderful ship and crew it is.

thanks

Mew1

Did 47 days in 07 on Jewel.Spring TA plus next Greek/Egypt, then Fall TA by myself.Ship & esp. its dining so varied I never got bored.Pools are big. Love the free cappachino/expresso machines, dining outside in evenings at the Italian rest. Want to try Pearl next; its only NCL ship to make 08 Conde Nast Feb. readers poll.Just wish they would do better on singles rates.Enjoy!

We were on a long Canada/NE Jewel cruise out of NYC and the next year took a 14 day Caribbean out of Miami on the Jewel again.

The cruises were so different because of itinerary that it never was stale. In fact, there were many areas (outside decks/pool) that we obviously used more on the Caribbean run so that was different, too.

Sr. staff were a different team for the most part but it was so nice to run into crew who remembered us from the first time.

Loved the decor on the Jewel, La Cucina restaurant and the Mongolian hotpot (shabu shabu) in the Asian restaurant Chin Chin.

For the production shows that we didn't want to repeat, we simply chose from some of the lounge entertainment offerings.

If you go again, have fun!:D

Cruised on the Jewel twice and enjoyed it both times.

Eleven nights in a balcony cabin during October 2005 with my wife from NYC to New England and Canada to celebrate our 20th anniversary.

Five nights in an inside cabin during November 2007 with my son from Miami to Cozumel and Grand Cayman to celebrate his 18th birthday.

Many similarities and some differences.

In 2005 the Jewel was brand new. It was the first of its class, and NCL wanted to establish a good reputation for not only the ship but also for the class, so they picked their best officers and crew for the ship. This showed in their dedication and service. Two years later the service, while still excellent, didn't seem to have the same extra dedication, especially in the main dining rooms.

The senior officers rotate assignments on the Jewel, and I happened to have a completely different set on each sailing. Captain Fafalios was in command in 2005 and Captain Tommy Stensrud in 2007. (Captain Fafalios was scheduled to relieve Captain Stensrud on the cruise following mine.) Hotel Director in 2005 was Klaus Lugmaier; in 2007 it was Armando DeSilva. There was also a different Chief Engineer. Cruise Director in 2005 was Paul Baya and Julie Valeriote in 2007. I understand that Paul is the "regular" cruise director for the Jewel and that Julie fills in when he is on vacation, which usually coincides with repositioning cruises. While the names and faces were different, the experiences were similar -- the officers were visible in the passenger areas; they greeted passengers and were approachable on both cruises.

Demographics: NE/Canada cruise was almost all retirees, but that is to be expected on a greater than one week cruise when school is in session. The western Caribbean cruise had a mix of all ages, including many families. Not surprising since it was a short cruise during Thanksgiving week.

The Chocoholic Buffet was heavily promoted and held in the mid-afternoon on the October 2005 Canada sailing. On the Thanksgiving Caribbean sailing it was just listed in the Freestyle Dining schedule under Snacks. On the Canada sailing it was held in Tsar's Palace; on the Caribbean sailing it was held in the Garden Cafe.

Late night dining: On the October 2005 Canada sailing, late night snacks were served between 11:00 pm and midnight in the Garden Cafe. On the Thanksgiving 2007 Caribbean sailing they were served from 9:00 or 9:30 pm until 11:30 pm in the Great Outdoors.

There used to be a ping pong table in the covered area on the pool deck right outside the door to/from the Garden Cafe. Now the ping pong tables are on deck 13, uncovered. Of course, this could be because the ship is in a warmer area.

Entertainment: The production shows were the same both times -- Country Gold, Band on the Run, and Cirque Bijoux, although the cast was different. Luckily for me, the husband and wife acrobats who had been in the cast on my first Jewel cruise had just rejoined for the second -- they are truly amazing. On the 5-night cruise Country Gold wasn't presented, but it's still one of their three shows on the current night itineraries. There was a Quest on the 2007 Caribbean cruise but not on the 2005 Canada/NE; perhaps that's due to the different cruise director or perhaps because of the different demographics. Second City was on board for both cruises, but their shows are different every time.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on the Jewel a third time.

Archived