Puffins and Dog Sleds....

Seawishes

Two questions....

PUFFINS...My group of traveling teachers has a silly infatuation with them, and it would be cool to see at least one in the wild. We're already planning on a Prince William Sound 4 hour glacier cruise and whale watching with Harv and Marv. What are our chances? I've seen discussion about a day boat in Sitka that goes to a very specific island spot for them, but they're not a big enough priority for something like that.

DOG SLEDDING on the glacier...I've read and understand the cancellation risk due to weather, but is there an equal risk in both Skagway and Juneau? Is one cancelled more often?

Thanks to all for the information so far.

I've seen discussion about a day boat in Sitka that goes to a very specific island spot for them, but they're not a big enough priority for something like that.

I think you misunderstand what you see on those tours. They aren't "puffin tours" - the puffins at St. Lazaria Island are just one of many, many animals and bird species you see on the tour. Our album at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/page4.html will show you what a day trip at Sitka can look like.

I agree with Murray, the Sitka boat tours are a top varied wildlife tour. Just excellent.

You need to post your itinerary.

For clarification, in Glacier Bay- there is a puffin rookery on the left side of Margerie Glacier. You need well over a 10 power binoculars to really see them. I've seen puffins fly by with a 5 second view, you need to be out on deck and looking in the right spot at the time. :)

Skagway is slightly less canceled for glacier dog sledding compared to Juneau.

I've never seen puffins out of Whittier PWS boat tours, I've gone on about 5, but place a direct question to Chenega since he has the most experience there and can give you routings that may offer them??

Sorry, Chenega agrees you aren't going to see them in PWS. Here is the reply post.

Hello Budget Queen and others. I've never seen puffins in Prince William Sound; wife saws it is not their habitat. Puffins are readily seen on the longer Seward trips that go to Kenai Fjords National Parks and the Chiswell Islands. They are all over the place in the Chiswells particularly in the mid-summer months.

You do see the large kittiwake area (similar to a seagull) just outside of Whittier but, as you've said, wildlife is more common out of Seward.

For fans of puffins who don't want to go out on the water, the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward has an excellent exhibit with live puffins and other birds of the area. I was told the area was designed by Disney Imagineers and you get views both above and below the water.

You guys sound just like me! I am a 4th grade teacher.

Last year we went with Davey of EstherG in Sitka to see puffins and other wildlife. We saw seals, otters, starfish, puffins, muir, sea lions, bald eagles, humpback whales, cormorants, on and on and on. A wonderful trip! We saw so many whales! What I really loved was that Davey killed the engine on the boat and we could hear the whales blow all around us. I've been on 3 excursions for whales and this was my favorite. St. Lazarius Island is awesome!. Here is a link for Davey and a link to my pictures:

http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/

http://www.flickr.com/gp/8933797@N03/W7cVM6

My DH and I also went dog sledding. I follow the Iditarod with my class each year and I really wanted to do this! It was wonderful! We went with Sebastian Schnuelle, an Iditarod racer, and his team. The glacier was beautiful. It was so peaceful out there with the dogs, hearing the glacial waterfalls. Definitely a highlight of our trip. Here is a link for Coastal Helicopters and a link to my pictures.

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/

http://www.flickr.com/gp/8933797@N03/fu04sP

I hope you enjoy my pictures and I would be glad to answer any questions.:D

Thanks to all. This is just the kind of input I was looking for. I did understand that the tours in Sitka weren't simply Puffin specific. I just didn't think that the tours in Sitka scream "WHALES!" like the tours in Juneau do. With all the raving about Juneau whale watching on this board, I reserved space with Harv and Marv before considering Sitka. I don't want to go out on more than one small boat wildlife trip in order to get varied experiences during the week.

Apologies for not mentioning my itinerary. We'll be on the Spirit out of Whittier, with only one full day beforehand plus embarkation day (which is when I was thinking about the PWS cruise). I didn't think we had time to get to Seward, but everyone's suggestions about Seward/Kenai Fjords tours made me take a second look. I could overnight there and take an 8am trip on embarkation day...then drive up to Whittier to hop on the ship. Right?

Thanks to everyone. Your responses have helped me to shake up the boggle cube and take another look at everything, so thanks for that.

BQ...thanks also for the note about dog sledding cancellations.

Marie...we're third grade teachers...now time to look at your pictures.

If you want to see puffins in the wild, definitely take the 6 hour Kenai Fjords National Park tour out of Seward. They go to the Chiswell Islands which are filled with nesting puffins, comorants, and all different types of birds plus a sea lion haul-out area.

As a previous poster suggested, there is an outstanding puffin display at the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward as well.

Puffins are rare on the PrinceWilliam Sound trips; your better odds are from Seward.

As a puffin afficianado, I have loved reading all the posts in this thread! I have forwarded a bunch of the links to DH at work and I think I have him convinced that an Alaskan cruise is necessary for us. I am a former 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade teacher (now stay at home mom) so maybe there's a connection with loving puffins and being an elementary teacher. DH and I (pre-kids) took a wonderful trip to the New Brunswick island of Grand Mannan and saw hundreds of puffins then and we vowed to see the west coast ones at some point in our lives. Thanks for all the great links and photos!:D

Thanks to all. This is just the kind of input I was looking for. I did understand that the tours in Sitka weren't simply Puffin specific. I just didn't think that the tours in Sitka scream "WHALES!" like the tours in Juneau do. With all the raving about Juneau whale watching on this board, I reserved space with Harv and Marv before considering Sitka. I don't want to go out on more than one small boat wildlife trip in order to get varied experiences during the week.

Apologies for not mentioning my itinerary. We'll be on the Spirit out of Whittier, with only one full day beforehand plus embarkation day (which is when I was thinking about the PWS cruise). I didn't think we had time to get to Seward, but everyone's suggestions about Seward/Kenai Fjords tours made me take a second look. I could overnight there and take an 8am trip on embarkation day...then drive up to Whittier to hop on the ship. Right?

Thanks to everyone. Your responses have helped me to shake up the boggle cube and take another look at everything, so thanks for that.

BQ...thanks also for the note about dog sledding cancellations.

Marie...we're third grade teachers...now time to look at your pictures.

Yes, by all means get to Seward. Reserve now a one way Avis car Anchorage/Whittier. Be prepared for high cost. In your case it is worth it. You will also have time after your tour- to make a stop at the Portage Glacier Visitor center, and Exit Glacier if you don't fit that in the day before.

With you from the east coast- also pass on to your puffin friend- I've had some great tours with the Atlantic puffins, going with my favorite vendor out of Jonesport Maine. It's important to have a permit to get on the island, but getting in those bird blinds with clear close up views of the puffins is fantastic.

Archived