Booked Cabin with TBA Status

MattnDJsMom

My husband and I decided to celebrate our 10 yr wedding anniversary by giving ourselves a cruise without the kids!!! We are currently booked on the Destiny, So. Caribbean for Aug 2008 and got a less expensive rate for not choosing our cabin upfront, TBA ("to be assigned") in the hopes that we would get upgraded to a balcony before we sailed. I am sure that many of you have done this in the past and was just curious to know if our odds are good of getting upgraded. We booked it through a Carnival Vacation Planner and she seemed pretty confident that we would get upgraded but wasn't sure if she was just saying that to get us to book. I personally, don't really think its a big deal since I don't plan on spending that much time in my cabin however, hubby seems to think that the rate we paid should have been lower for a possible obstructed view. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have booked a guarantee many times... I generally get an upgrade of a couple of decks.. but generally an OV guar gets me an OV cabin, a balcony guar gets me a balcony, etc. Never have received a full category upgrade which is more rare. So it really depends on what you booked. If you booked an IS or OV category and you are hoping for a balcony, you may want to lower your expectations a bit... and if something happens and you do get one, you will be surprised!! You shouldn't get an obstructed view though... Have a great cruise and happy anniversary!!!

We booked an ocean view and at the time we booked there were only 3 cabins available in that category which is why the carnival vacation planner seemed to think we would get upgraded to a balcony. Like I said, not sure if she was just saying that or if that really happens. We have only cruised once before (on Carnival) and we were with a big group and we all got upgraded to a balcony. But we weren't involved in the booking process so we didn't know how that all works.

My NCL cruise I booked an inside guarantee and ended up with an inside cabin on deck 8 (4 floors higher) which is considered an upgrade.

My upcoming Carnival cruise, I booked a balcony guarantee (8A) and got my room assignment to a balcony on deck 8 (8H).

Can't complain at all with either of my cruises as I got saved money that way and got a higher deck each time but it really is a luck of the draw no knowing if you will be port/starboard, forward/aft, under a disco or the pool. I believe the only way you would get an obstructed view is if you booked it that way. For instance, balcony with obstructed view is actually a category 7 not 8 & they have to give you at least an 8. Sounds like you booked either an ocean view or inside cabin hoping to get upgraded to a balcony which isn't realistically going to happen. It happens, but if it does, you better play the lottery too cuz you're really lucky.

Well, I have to say. We booked and ocean view guarentee being told also that there were very few rooms left like it so we would probably get a upgrade to a balcony with obstructed view. Well, we didn't get the upgrade so I went ahead and upgraded us myself and booked a 7a guarantee again but we got just that. Only this time I was ok with it. I decided to book only what was the min we would be happy with. Have a great time.. This is our first cruise also..

First time we booked and 8A GTY and got an 8D (both unobstructed balcony cabins just different decks). The second time we booked (2) 6A GTY cabins (unobstructed OV) and got obstructed view balcony cabins right next to each other.

We were happy both times .... We now have 8A balcony GTY and have not received our assignments yet for April.... will let you know but even if we get an 8A we will be delighted because the original rate was fantastic.

It's rare to get upgraded to a higher type of cabin. Usually if you book an ocean view gaurantee then the upgrade consists of an ocean view cabin on a higher deck, not a balcony or obstructed view.

Of course it's a case of supply and demand. If there are balconies or obstructed views available on the sailing you might get lucky. But be aware that the cruiseline will do everything they can to fill those cabins before sailing. Keep an eye out for price drops and you may get an on board credit in leiu of an upgrade.

I think you followed your own best advice by booking the least acceptable cabin. If you get an upgrade - great! If you don't at least you know you'll be happy in an OV.

I think if your PVP said they think you will be upgraded you've got a pretty good chance, especially since you are celebrating a 10 year anniversary. When we were celebrating my husband's 40 birthday on the Glory my PVP said he thought we would get a good upgrade and we did (inside guarantee to an OV on the spa deck). For our upcoming cruise however, he said we may get upgraded, may not, our chances weren't as great as last time so I am not anticipating any upgrade. It is a mystery how these upgrades work, but I think my PVP wouldnt say you'll be upgraded unless it looks like you will. That being said, don't get your hopes up too high, a guarantee is a guarantee, you don't want to be disappointed if you aren't upgraded.

My NCL cruise I booked an inside guarantee and ended up with an inside cabin on deck 8 (4 floors higher) which is considered an upgrade.

My upcoming Carnival cruise, I booked a balcony guarantee (8A) and got my room assignment to a balcony on deck 8 (8H).

Can't complain at all with either of my cruises as I got saved money that way and got a higher deck each time but it really is a luck of the draw no knowing if you will be port/starboard, forward/aft, under a disco or the pool. I believe the only way you would get an obstructed view is if you booked it that way. For instance, balcony with obstructed view is actually a category 7 not 8 & they have to give you at least an 8. Sounds like you booked either an ocean view or inside cabin hoping to get upgraded to a balcony which isn't realistically going to happen. It happens, but if it does, you better play the lottery too cuz you're really lucky.

I talked to my carnival pvp and he stated that a general Balcony Guarantee is 7A and higher so there is a chance at getting an obstructed view.. any one else heard otherwise?

We are currently booked on the Destiny, So. Caribbean for Aug 2008 and got a less expensive rate for not choosing our cabin upfront, TBA ("to be assigned") in the hopes that we would get upgraded to a balcony before we sailed. I am sure that many of you have done this in the past and was just curious to know if our odds are good of getting upgraded. We booked it through a Carnival Vacation Planner and she seemed pretty confident that we would get upgraded but wasn't sure if she was just saying that to get us to book.

The most important factor is how full the ship is. If the cruise sells out then there's a lot lower chance of getting upgraded than if the ship isn't full.

You didn't say what week you are sailing though. The very end of August is different than the very beginning. Once schools starts back up, the demand drops. Compare the prices online and you'll see the pattern.

Also, keep in mind that getting a cabin 1 deck higher than the minimum technically counts as an "upgrade". If your "TBA" is for a Inside Stateroom (IS), the minimum would be a Category 4A on the Riviera Deck. So if you get assinged to a Category 4C on Upper Deck, that counts an upgrade. If you actually selected your cabin it would have cost about $100 more.

My husband and I were TBA on the Carnival website until we checked in at Miami on the Carnival Freedom (2/2/08)...the suspense was killing me! We booked 4A and figured we'd be happy with that, or maybe we'd get an upgrade and get lucky and get on a higher deck. Our travel agent (not from Carnival) said it was unlikely we'd move from inside to outside, but we were pleasantly surprised when we got cabin 1118 which was a 6E oceanview on the Spa deck 11!! It had floor to ceiling windows, no balcony, and was a very large room. It was wonderful! I think we got really lucky and maybe this is rare, but it happened to us! Good luck!

I talked to my carnival pvp and he stated that a general Balcony Guarantee is 7A and higher so there is a chance at getting an obstructed view.. any one else heard otherwise?

That's true -if you book a BL GTY, it is obstructed view balcony (7A) or higher but usually for not much more $$, you can book an 8A balcony GTY and be assured of not having an obstructed view.

perhaps it depends on which ship, but carnival valor for example, BL *is* 8A at least.

"Category BL

Balcony Guarantee

Decks: To Be Assigned

Occupancy: Sleeps up to 2 guests (some sleep 3 or 4)

dot_clear.gif

Description: An Balcony Guarantee means you'll be gauranteed at least a Category 8A, Oceanview Stateroom with Private Balcony. These feature a very large window with a door that opens to a large private balcony, two twin beds that convert to a king-sized bed, private bathroom with shower, vanity area, minibar, closed-circuit TV, minisafe, radio, phone, and a hairdryer. Please note your stateroom number will be given to you at check-in.

dot_clear.gif

Square Footage: 185 sq ft

Balcony Square Footage: 35 sq ft

"

perhaps it depends on which ship, but carnival valor for example, BL *is* 8A at least.

"Category BL

Balcony Guarantee

Decks: To Be Assigned

Occupancy: Sleeps up to 2 guests (some sleep 3 or 4)

dot_clear.gif

Description: An Balcony Guarantee means you'll be gauranteed at least a Category 8A, Oceanview Stateroom with Private Balcony. These feature a very large window with a door that opens to a large private balcony, two twin beds that convert to a king-sized bed, private bathroom with shower, vanity area, minibar, closed-circuit TV, minisafe, radio, phone, and a hairdryer. Please note your stateroom number will be given to you at check-in.

dot_clear.gif

Square Footage: 185 sq ft

Balcony Square Footage: 35 sq ft

"

true. this is because this class of ship does not have 7a.

Archived