Coral Princess Panama Canal Private Tours?

sandbug2

Hi

We are leaving for Panama Canal feb 25 and I am confused regarding booking private tours at panama canal- itinerary says we arrive in Colon at 4pm and leave at 8pm, and that only Princess tours can disembark in lake Gatun. Anyone know if we can take a private tour with Mario, and how that happens?

:o

Have not been on Princess, but I imagine they operate like the other lines do. Where you tender ashore in Gatun Lake, there really is nothing there, so if you are not on a tour (sold by them)you would be stuck in a fairly remote area. I think the four hours you are docked in Cristobal would be a little on the short side for you take most of the tours that are popular. Most of the people who take independent tours such as Mario, are on ships that dock in Colon/Cristobal and do not transit the locks, leaving plenty of time for independent tours.

On the partial transit through the Gatun Locks, the only way to leave the Coral Princess is by a ship-sponsored excursion once the ship anchors in the lake. While those on excursions are doing their thing, the ship eventually goes back through the locks and docks at Cristobal Pier in Colon for a couple of hours. Those who stayed on the ship can disembark then while the ship waits for those on long tours (i.e. Panama City and the like) to rejoin the ship.

The pier area has a flea-market type shopping area, some duty free shops. The two times we've been there, a folklore show was performed in the central courtyard near the duty free shops. I believe there is also a restaurant on site. It didn't look like there was much outside the secure pier area, and frankly, it looked pretty seedy.

The references you see to people booking with Mario are from those sailing on ships that dock in Colon without going through the Gatun Locks. Thus they are able to disembark and go on private tours. In your case, you'd only be able to book with Mario after the ship docks in Colon in the late afternoon to pick-up passengers who went on ship-sponsored excursions. And, since it grows dark earlyin February, I doubt you'd see much. Your best bet (and this from someone who rarely does ship-sponsored excursions) is to book a Princess excursion if you want to see a bit of the countryside.

We did the eco-cruise on Gatun Lake that included a stop at the Gatun Locks to see the operation from the ground. We were lucky as Coral Princess was locking back out when we arrived at the Locks and we watched her transit the locks in reverse to get a different perspective of the lockage process. (This was purely by chance, as there is no guarantee of seeing any ships in the locks, let alone your own ship.)

Hi....we have just arrived home today from the Coral Princess thru the Panama Canal.

Yes, it's true - the only passengers that can leave the ship in Gatun Lake are those on ship tours. They are tendered to shore and then soon after that, the ship turns around and goes back through the locks and docks in Colon. At that point, everyone is free to leave the ship.

It was then that our tour began with My Friend Mario...we still had 3 hours to see Fort San Lorenzo, and a close up look of the Locks. We arrived back at the pier in plenty of time to be on board before the required time. Lori who has lived in Panama 33 yrs was an excellent guide. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with her.

Hi....we have just arrived home today from the Coral Princess thru the Panama Canal.

Yes, it's true - the only passengers that can leave the ship in Gatun Lake are those on ship tours. They are tendered to shore and then soon after that, the ship turns around and goes back through the locks and docks in Colon. At that point, everyone is free to leave the ship.

It was then that our tour began with My Friend Mario...we still had 3 hours to see Fort San Lorenzo, and a close up look of the Locks. We arrived back at the pier in plenty of time to be on board before the required time. Lori who has lived in Panama 33 yrs was an excellent guide. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with her.

We are seriously thinking of doing the Panama on Coral next Feb. If you had to do it again. Would you choose Coral? or a ship that did the entire canal?

I'm a bit confused... people say you can't use Mario if the stay is short but it sounds like you used him. Is that correct? What was his cost?

The itinerary I would look for - and there are a few out there, not many, but a few - would do an entire Canal transit from one ocean to the other so that you see all of the Canal including locks on both sides, Gatun Lake, and Galliard Cut, and then would spend overnight and a full day in Amador, which gives you complete access to Panama City and all of the other tour options.

It takes some looking but increasingly these itineraries are becoming available. Because they are a little different they tend to book up fast.

Let us know what you find . . . Regards, Richard

Everyone has different personal tastes, and for us, going through the Gatun locks and back out was enough. In fact we didn't even watch as we returned through the locks. Panama was a highlight of the cruise, but not the sole reason we chose this itinerary. As Richard in Panama says, there is more to see on a full transit, but for us, what we saw was sufficient.

I would definitely choose the Coral again, if we ever wanted to return to Panama. The service is excellent, and they do everything they can to make you feel at home.

Yes, you can use Mario, in fact if you check his site, he has a specific tour for the Coral or any ship on a partial transit. My initial email to him stated that we were on the Coral on a partial transit, and did he have a tour we could join for those few hours? His reply gave me a very detailed itinerary of what our ship's timing through the locks would be and at what time they would meet us at the pier. Mario is fully aware of the cruise ships that come to the Panama Canal.

It provided us with 3 1/2 hrs to go on a tour with them for $40.00/person - well worth it in our estimation.

There is not tons to see in this location, but Lori our guide was full of information and seeing a part of any country opens our eyes a little more. We enjoyed just being out in the rainforest - we don't have that in Canada!

1318639239_fromFortSanLorenzo.jpg.e896bc805d2b463382d518e4eaaeb004.jpg

We are seriously thinking of doing the Panama on Coral next Feb. If you had to do it again. Would you choose Coral? or a ship that did the entire canal?

I've done 3 complete transits and one partial (including a shore excursion on the ferry). Based on that, I think it is a mistake to go to the canal and not see the entire thing. Too many people think that the Panama Canal is the locks. It's far more than that. The biggest challenges in building the canal was the Culebra Cut (which you don't see if you do a partial transit and don't take the ferry).

My first choice would be a complete transit on the cruise ship. Absent that, a partial transit combined with the ferry is a great alternative. As you consider it, keep in mind that people that haven't gone all the way from Atlantic to Pacific (or vice versa) can't tell you what you might be missing if you don't go all the way through.

I strongly suggest reading "The Path Between the Seas". I think that it might help convince you of the value of seeing the entire canal--not just the locks.

Hello To All, Our Cruise Is Almost Here.:) From What I Read On The Cruisecal Link It Looks Like The Summit Will Be In Aruba With Us, The Island Princess In The Panama Canal, Carnival Imagination In Ocho Rios And In Fort Lauderdale Sevenseas Navigator And Navigator Of The Seas. It Will Be Interesting To See These Other Ships. :d ????? See You On Board.

Everyone has different personal tastes, and for us, going through the Gatun locks and back out was enough. In fact we didn't even watch as we returned through the locks. Panama was a highlight of the cruise, but not the sole reason we chose this itinerary. As Richard in Panama says, there is more to see on a full transit, but for us, what we saw was sufficient.

I would definitely choose the Coral again, if we ever wanted to return to Panama. The service is excellent, and they do everything they can to make you feel at home.

Yes, you can use Mario, in fact if you check his site, he has a specific tour for the Coral or any ship on a partial transit. My initial email to him stated that we were on the Coral on a partial transit, and did he have a tour we could join for those few hours? His reply gave me a very detailed itinerary of what our ship's timing through the locks would be and at what time they would meet us at the pier. Mario is fully aware of the cruise ships that come to the Panama Canal.

It provided us with 3 1/2 hrs to go on a tour with them for $40.00/person - well worth it in our estimation.

There is not tons to see in this location, but Lori our guide was full of information and seeing a part of any country opens our eyes a little more. We enjoyed just being out in the rainforest - we don't have that in Canada!

Thanks for replying. What did you see or do on your tour with Mario? When was this? I must admit, I'm completly confused: I just received this message from Mario: Princess is the only one that does not let their passengers get off the ship to take any private tour in Gatun Lake, so no time to do the PT when you docking at Cristobal dock at 3pm.

If you can take any other ship we can do business with you.

I'm completly lost:

Code: CL002 Gatun Locks + San Lorenzo + Rainforest

Category: Sightseeing

Departure: Cristobal Docks

Length: 4 hours

Exclusively for our friends onboard cruises with a Partial Transit schedule. (Coral Princess, Brillances RCCL, Holland Amsterdam, others)

First, we will visit the Gatun Locks and we will enter to the observation deck, from there you will learn about the incredible engineering it took to build them, and their operational significance for international commerce during the last 90 years. You will also observe super tankers passing through the Panama Canal which are almost close enough to touch! Second we will cross over the Panama Canal by bridge giving you a rare view of the locks that is seldom seen by other travellers. Then, we will drive through the virgen rainforest to the ruins of San Lorenzo Fort which is called the "Guard of the Chagres". For 75 years the Fort with only 300 soldiers, repelled numerous attacks by the pirates of the Caribbean. The cannons still stand as a living testament to history. Finally on our return to the dock we will journey slowly through the virgen rainforest which is surrounded by thick jungle to observe the vast diversity of animal species that call it home. This is an ideal spot for watching birds and monkeys.

Rate: USD40 per person

The price includes:

Transfer from and to the Colon dock

Air conditioned minibuses

English/Spanish speaking guide

Beverages and snacks on the road

Gatun locks entrance fee

San Lorenzo National park entrance fee

This is the exact tour we did with Lori our tour guide, and we had approx 3 hrs.

To take a private tour you must wait until the ship's-tour passengers are tendered off in Gatun Lake and then once you return back thru the locks and dock in Cristobal only then can any other passengers walk off the ship to do as you desire during the remainder of your time at the pier. Your initial entrance and then return through the locks is what they call "partial transit". Your tour guide meets you on the pier and away you go. We paid at the end of our tour.

We travelled through the rain forest to Fort Lorenzo and also went back to the locks to the observation deck to watch the ships come thru. Here is the initial email we sent Mario:

Hi Mario,

We arrive in Panama on Feb 10/08 on the Coral Princess.

I am inquiring as to whether you have tours available that day that we (2

people) can join?

They responded back with CL002 as per above. Does this help?

Code: CL002 Gatun Locks + San Lorenzo + Rainforest

Category: Sightseeing

Departure: Cristobal Docks

Length: 4 hours

Exclusively for our friends onboard cruises with a Partial Transit schedule. (Coral Princess, Brillances RCCL, Holland Amsterdam, others)

First, we will visit the Gatun Locks and we will enter to the observation deck, from there you will learn about the incredible engineering it took to build them, and their operational significance for international commerce during the last 90 years. You will also observe super tankers passing through the Panama Canal which are almost close enough to touch! Second we will cross over the Panama Canal by bridge giving you a rare view of the locks that is seldom seen by other travellers. Then, we will drive through the virgen rainforest to the ruins of San Lorenzo Fort which is called the "Guard of the Chagres". For 75 years the Fort with only 300 soldiers, repelled numerous attacks by the pirates of the Caribbean. The cannons still stand as a living testament to history. Finally on our return to the dock we will journey slowly through the virgen rainforest which is surrounded by thick jungle to observe the vast diversity of animal species that call it home. This is an ideal spot for watching birds and monkeys.

Rate: USD40 per person

The price includes:

Transfer from and to the Colon dock

Air conditioned minibuses

English/Spanish speaking guide

Beverages and snacks on the road

Gatun locks entrance fee

San Lorenzo National park entrance fee

This is the exact tour we did with Lori our tour guide, and we had approx 3 hrs.

To take a private tour you must wait until the ship's-tour passengers are tendered off in Gatun Lake and then once you return back thru the locks and dock in Cristobal only then can any other passengers walk off the ship to do as you desire during the remainder of your time at the pier. Your initial entrance and then return through the locks is what they call "partial transit". Your tour guide meets you on the pier and away you go. We paid at the end of our tour.

We travelled through the rain forest to Fort Lorenzo and also went back to the locks to the observation deck to watch the ships come thru. Here is the initial email we sent Mario:

Hi Mario,

We arrive in Panama on Feb 10/08 on the Coral Princess.

I am inquiring as to whether you have tours available that day that we (2

people) can join?

They responded back with CL002 as per above. Does this help?

I reallly appreciate all your scanning, cutting and pasting to send them all this information. Tour CL002 sounds great; will write him again.

If you ever cruise Princess again; try the Emerald; we just came back last Thursday and it was fabulous.

I AM SIGNED UP FOR HIGHLIGHTS OF PANAMA THRU PRINCESS. THIS IS A CRUISE ON THE GATUN LAKE, VISIT A REPLICA OF AN EMBERA INDIAN VILLAGE AND SEE THE GATUN LOCKS IN OPERATION. HAS ANYONE TAKEN THIS EXCURSION??????:confused: :confused: THANKS.

Can you tell me how long this one is and also the cost?

Anxious to read a review after you come back.

Are their any threads that you know of that have recent reviews of Coral doing the Panama? Thanks for any info you can give me.

All cruising is great so enjoy yoursleves; just came back from Emerald and ready to again; suticase is packed if you want to change places for the cold northern Canadian climate.

Just interested; did your price come down and were you granted the lower price before final payment?

Hi, Glad You Will Also Be Going To The Panama Canal. It Looks Like An Exciting Cruise. The Cost Of This Excursion Is $145, However, There Are Uprisings In Panama City So I Hope We Will Be Able To Get Off The Ship. No, My Cost Did Not Go Down. Will Let You Know More When I Return.:)

As I noted in my previous post, the tour operators used by the ship no how to avoid areas of potential confrontation. The demonstrations, with a few notable exceptions, have mostly been blocking traffic. I would caution against doing your own thing right now, but organized ship excursions should be fine. The ships are in touch with the situation and will make decisions should the situation change.

Archived