Our Chef's Table Review - both of them

vickie_bernie

Vickie,

We were on the Emerald right after you. We listened to your advise about the Chef's Table, requested reservations immediately after boarding and were at dinner the 2nd night they did it. OMG!!! It was absolutely the best and I want to thank you for telling us in advance. It was SOOO worth every penny!

We also carried on Wine without a problem. 1 case checked and also brought bottles in carryone without a problem.

Again, that's for the information.

Jerry

Can someone please explain how to book this on the CB (Carib Princess)?

We are in a full suite - if that makes any difference to the booking process ...

I am not sure if the CB has the Chef's table yet, but I hear it is coming. The only way to book is to call as soon as you board. Look for it in the Patters. I don't think a full suite helps, but getting to know the Matre D'hotel, sure does.

I am not sure if the CB has the Chef's table yet, but I hear it is coming. The only way to book is to call as soon as you board. Look for it in the Patters. I don't think a full suite helps, but getting to know the Matre D'hotel, sure does.

Is it only held one night?

Would we be better going off to find the Maitre D' to book it? Is it likely he would be in the main dining room helping people switch seatings? (That is where he often is on some other "traditional dining" lines I've sailed ...)

Vickie, Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put in with your Live from and all the reviews of the Emerald plus your video. You have provided much information for all of us who will be going on the Emerald. I think I speak for many by saying your efforts are much appreciated! Thank you! thank you!

Vickie, Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put in with your Live from and all the reviews of the Emerald plus your video. You have provided much information for all of us who will be going on the Emerald. I think I speak for many by saying your efforts are much appreciated! Thank you! thank you!

it is the least i could do since so many and I mean many help us make our 20 days on the Emerald so wonderful... hopefully I have done the same, that is what I love about cc we all help each other

Vicky, I also appreciate the info that you have been giving in regards to the Chef's table. I have a question. They say that you should have closed shoes. In other words no open toed. If you were wearing sandals would nylons or socks be o.k. for cover-up. I imagine while cruising in the Caribbean many women would have sandals on. thak you

Marilyn

Vicky, I also appreciate the info that you have been giving in regards to the Chef's table. I have a question. They say that you should have closed shoes. In other words no open toed. If you were wearing sandals would nylons or socks be o.k. for cover-up. I imagine while cruising in the Caribbean many women would have sandals on. thak you

Marilyn

Although I dont know the specific Princess reason, Im guessing that its a safety issue. Most restaurants (and some health codes) require kitchen staff to wear closed toe shoes because they provide an extra layer of protection against a number of accidents that are prone to happen in a restaurant kitchen.

Vicki~

We had a similar experience of a crew member knowing our name when we were sure we had never met before. In our case, we were on an Alaskan cruise and were invited to the Captain's table for dinner. The Captain's Club host stopped us in the lobby and greeted us by name asking why we hadn't RSVP'd to the dinner invitation yet. When we explained that we had not received an invitation, the CC host apologized and took our RSVP then and there.

I had to ask how he knew who we were...he told us that as each person boards the ship, their picture is taken. It is quite easy for a crew member to look up someone's name and match it to a photo. In your case, since there were only 10 people attending the event, the host had only 10 faces to remember!

Hope this answers your question about how he knew who you were.

We had heard about the Chef’s table prior to our New Years Cruise on the Crown and called the minute I walked into our room, but was told that the only ‘table’ they were having on that cruise was already booked up. I requested to be waitlisted, and were told that we were (but as a group of 6 and only one table for 10 it was a very long shot at best) However they continued to “advertise” the Chefs table in the Patter for several days.

I sure hope they have several tables on the Island when we traverse the Panama Canal this coming New Years. All these excellent reviews and videos only make me want to be at that table all the more!

Although I dont know the specific Princess reason, Im guessing that its a safety issue. Most restaurants (and some health codes) require kitchen staff to wear closed toe shoes because they provide an extra layer of protection against a number of accidents that are prone to happen in a restaurant kitchen.

Arron and Jack are right. After speaking with Mr. Deering the Passenger services director he informed me that they had very strict guidelines to follow. Washing your hands was one, can't be where actually food is prepared, no illness and closed toed shoes.

This is a health and safety issue and it is for your protection too. Sandals will not be allowed. One of the ladies in our 2nd table wore runners with her outfit. She pointed them out, said it looked odd, but we all had a good giggle and said who cares.

I just brought a pair of high heels for my formal outfit that were closed toe and then wore them for this dinner.

Vicki~

We had a similar experience of a crew member knowing our name when we were sure we had never met before. In our case, we were on an Alaskan cruise and were invited to the Captain's table for dinner. The Captain's Club host stopped us in the lobby and greeted us by name asking why we hadn't RSVP'd to the dinner invitation yet. When we explained that we had not received an invitation, the CC host apologized and took our RSVP then and there.

I had to ask how he knew who we were...he told us that as each person boards the ship, their picture is taken. It is quite easy for a crew member to look up someone's name and match it to a photo. In your case, since there were only 10 people attending the event, the host had only 10 faces to remember!

Hope this answers your question about how he knew who you were.

yeah that is what we figured, but I like to think that they just knew us because darn it we are those friendly Canadians :)

Dawn Princess 02/27/2008

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=992ozy1n.c3tw8x5z&x=0&y=-ds9bsl

It's missing the Menu that I will scan and add soon.

Review to come after I get through everything else.

My cruise 02/24 was the 2nd Chef's table on the Dawn, and they announced the Golden 02/23 cruise was doing it's 1st Table.

sorry you think that, but the last time I checked we had paid the entire cruise fare too, the taxes and port charges too. We were also passengers on the ship, like everyone else. So I don't see why we should not be allowed to do it like everyone else. And gee they didn't hesitate to charge our account the $75 dollars each too.

Would you of said the same thing if we would of done the same shore excursion twice on each visit that only had 20 or 30 people?

I'm with ya.....if I decided I wanted to spend the money for more than one night, I certainly don't see the problem. I'm sure there are people who take up multiple repeat slots at the salon or spa, not to mention the excursions, so I don't see where the whole "selfish" thing comes in. If it was free, then I'd think it was a little greedy, but since it's paid for I don't agree.

Btw, your reviews have totally convinced me. Hopefully the 4-day sailing I'm taking in May on the CB will offer it! Thanks for the wonderfully detailed review!

Archived