What to do in Atlanta during layover?

aandb

I don't remember which terminal it's in nor do I remember the name of the restaurant but Atlanta regulars probably know it. There's a southern/soul food restaurant in one of the food courts that is fantastic. We always make it a point to eat there if we can. The best chicken - fried, stewed with dumplings, pork chops, mac and cheese, collards, corn bread, sweet potato pie - yum. All washed down with sweet iced tea, of course. You won't be disappointed.

I don't remember which terminal it's in nor do I remember the name of the restaurant but Atlanta regulars probably know it. There's a southern/soul food restaurant in one of the food courts that is fantastic. We always make it a point to eat there if we can. The best chicken - fried, stewed with dumplings, pork chops, mac and cheese, collards, corn bread, sweet potato pie - yum. All washed down with sweet iced tea, of course. You won't be disappointed.

Probably Paschal's Southern Delights in Concourse A.

Don't leave the airport!!!!! We travel in and out of the Atlanta airport a few times a year and getting through security takes a very long time. It's a very busy place. There is plenty to do to keep busy for your layover. Don't forget you'll start to board about a half hour before take off, so you really only have 3 and a half hours to kill.

Is doing a layover in Atlanta really that bad? I've had several layovers in the past, but none in Atlanta, and have never had any problems.

We haven't booked anything yet, since we're not cruising until December, but the plane we were looking at had a 1 hour layover in Atlanta - is that too short of a time?

I live in the Atlanta area so I've not experienced a layover in ATL in years. However I've met my kids in Atlanta to fly to other destinations and they met their connection with no problems. Of course, it's not to say there aren't passengers who have not had difficulties. In the end, I wouldn't hesitate booking with a one hour layover.

Cruisingator2 is right--it's definitely Paschal's. That's not a chain, but an airport location of an Atlanta institution where MLK often ate. It's located out in the airport's Atrium. So, you do have the issue of coming out and having to go back through Security. But with 4 hours it might be worth doing. That's sort of a hybrid plan. Soul food without leaving the airport.

If I had four hours I would -

Get off the plane, check the overhead signs to see when your next flight is listed. If it's four hours or more, put your bag in a locker.

Goto baggage claim, get on Marta to Underground. About 20-25 minute ride.

Walk around underground for an hour, go outside look around. Ride Marta back to airport leaving 1.5 - 2hours to get through security. You have no bags to check.

Atlanta is bad but as a Delta million miler I know you can do something with four hours.

If I had four hours I would -

Get off the plane, check the overhead signs to see when your next flight is listed. If it's four hours or more, put your bag in a locker.

Goto baggage claim, get on Marta to Underground. About 20-25 minute ride.

Walk around underground for an hour, go outside look around. Ride Marta back to airport leaving 1.5 - 2hours to get through security. You have no bags to check.

Atlanta is bad but as a Delta million miler I know you can do something with four hours.

I'm from the area and you couldn't pay me to... #1 ride MARTA and ...#2 wander around Underground for any reason. Too risky.....STAY AT THE AIRPORT!!!

Dianne

Is doing a layover in Atlanta really that bad? I've had several layovers in the past, but none in Atlanta, and have never had any problems.

We haven't booked anything yet, since we're not cruising until December, but the plane we were looking at had a 1 hour layover in Atlanta - is that too short of a time?

I've been living in the Atlanta area, since 2004, so it has been a while since I have had a layover here. But I fly in and out of Atlanta quite a bit and can't tell any real difference in the time it takes to get through security in Atlanta versus, Dallas, San Francisco, LA, Las Vegas or Miami. Hit or miss depending on what time I come through. Sometimes there is no line at all and sometimes it takes a while. The same as any other large airport. Also there is a train to get you to another terminal if your connection is in another terminal. An hour layover should be fine since you don't have to go through security again.

As far as the OP's question, I agree with most; don't leave the airport. Not only in case you do run into a long line at security, but because the Atlanta traffic is so unpredictable! An accident will practically shut the highway down and they always seem to be doing construction.

If you do hop a cab and find somewhere to go, you may very well find yourself stuck somewhere while trying to get back to the airport.

Who needs that stress at the start of a wonderful vacation?

Have a great vacation!

Cruisingator2 is right--it's definitely Paschal's. That's not a chain, but an airport location of an Atlanta institution where MLK often ate. It's located out in the airport's Atrium. So, you do have the issue of coming out and having to go back through Security. But with 4 hours it might be worth doing. That's sort of a hybrid plan. Soul food without leaving the airport.

While I far, far prefer the southern traditional specialties at The Collanade on Cheshire Bridge, since we've all--including me--advised OP to stay put, then yes, Paschal's has a name-awareness among some people and some history to it and is the best bet in the airport, so give it a try.

Archived