Planning our first cruise... help!

Jeffski

Hello everyone. Great board here with lots of great info and great people. We are going to take our first cruise this spring and would like some advice. My wife and I have three kids, ages 16, 9, and 6 so we are definitely looking for something family friendly. We are considering a special deal our local TA has on a 7 night Western Carribean cruise aboard Carnival Conquest. Any thoughts?

We read a lot about cool water parks and water slides and wave pools and ice skating (and saw the commercials) that they have on these ships, but how do you know what ships have all that stuff? The Conquest doesn't appear to be one of the newer ships... does it have all the cool stuff? We want this to be an amazing week for the kids.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure we'll have more questions as we narrow done our choices and really start to plan/pack.

The best way to tell is to look at the cruise line's website and study the pictures and deck plans of the particular ship. I can tell you that the Conquest will have a big water slide, as all Carnival ships have them in one size or another. The rock wall is, as far as I know, only on Royal Caribbean ships. The ice skating, roller blading, flow riders, and mini-golf are on the bigger Royal Caribbean ships, as are the H2O water/splash parks. Generally, the bigger and newer the ship, the more fun stuff it will have. You might want to ask the kids which features are especially important to them.

The Conquest seems to be a good ship, but explore the Carnival website and the Conquest deck plans. You'll also need to consider price and port of embarkation, since those are usually major factors in choosing a cruise. If the Conquest is still a good deal, go for it! Your kids will have an amazing time. You will all be hooked, and you can plan the next cruise on a different ship.:) We have been on a big variety of ships, and my kids were never bored, and loved every minute.

Cave tubing is when you sit on an inner tube and float down a river that runs through some caves. They usually give you a light that goes on your head. On some tours you are floating down the river individually, and on some you are hooked together with other tubes. I would suggest a tour that links you with others so there is less chance of someone floating off down the wrong way. Explore the port of call boards--there's a lot of info there!

We have 4 in our family, and we rarely spend more than $2500. We try to get cruises that are $100 per person per day or less, and usually the 3/4th person in the cabin is even cheaper than that. Sometimes we drive to the port, and sometimes we fly if we can get tickets at a reasonable price. Then we shop around before leaving and decide what we want to do in each port. I wanted to go cave tubing on our last cruise, but the thought terrified my kids. :rolleyes: Maybe when they're older. We don't drink, but I understand that cost is a big factor for people who do.

So, you can spend $5000 if you want, but I certainly think you could spend considerably less. If there are 5 of you, you will need to take into consideration that not all cruise lines will put 5 people in a cabin. Carnival will, but on other lines, you might have to get 2 cabins. That will definitely be more expensive.

So, you can spend $5000 if you want, but I certainly think you could spend considerably less. If there are 5 of you, you will need to take into consideration that not all cruise lines will put 5 people in a cabin. Carnival will, but on other lines, you might have to get 2 cabins. That will definitely be more expensive.

Carnival only allows 5 people in their regular staterooms on their older ships. On Conquest I believe the only staterooms that will accommodate 5 people are the suites, so the OP will still need 2 staterooms.

What Carnival Cruise ships have the most stuff for kids? Which ones are the newest?

Going to meet with a TA this week and hopefully that will make this process less confusing.

The newer the ship the more you will be paying.

you will need two cabins on the newer ships. Have your agent check out 1A's for two of the kids--

No matter what ship you chose your kids will be busy-- your 16 year old will be in a teen club.

You could look into Victory/Triumph to fit 5 in one cabin.

the older fantasy class ships only do 3-4-5 day cruises but they do 5 in a cabin also.

you didnt state what kind of cabin you are looking into.

ALL inside cabins are cat 4's very dark 24 hours a day.

oceanview cabins are cat 6's these are cabins with a window.

balcony cabins are cat 8's and suites which are 11 & 12.

cat 1A's hold 2 people only and feature bunk beds.

You could book a gurantee which will save you some $$ but do not book a inside cabin in hopes of being upgraded to an oceanview IF you will not be happy in an inside cabin.

Only book the category you will be happy in.

Make sure the agent is quoting you the bottom price. Some agents will only give you cruise price and not let you know about Government taxes and port charges.

Hidden fees are tips== which is 10.00 per person per day--yes, including your kids.

A cruise can be all inclusive-- it depends on what you want out of this vacation.

Soda cards can be had but cost almost 55.00 pp (take your own)

kids could be fine with the free drinks on the lido deck-- iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch. tea can be mixed with lemonade for a different flavor.

24 hour pizza--free

24 soft servce ice cream--free

room service-- free

Thanks for the advice. Couple more questions:

What is cave tubing?

How much should I expect to spend on this vacation? I'm guessing at least $5000 for a family of five?

We are a family of 4 and rarely spend over $2000-$2500 as well. I think $5000 might be a little high.

Not that you couldn't spend it if you REALLY tried.:D

Again, the TA will figure out the cost, but I'm looking at $800 a night per person for a 7 night cruise, plus airfare. For five people I can't see how it's going to be any less that $5K. I hope you're right and it is less though.

serene56 - What does "take your own" mean? You aren't suggesting packing beverages for the whole trip are you?

Thanks for the replies!

$800 a night? You mean $800 for the week, right? It may be $800 pp for the week for Conquest, but the 3rd, 4th and 5th person in the cabin should be cheaper. For example, we are going on the Voyager in March for $729 pp, but our 2 kids (staying in the same cabin) are only $499 each. This is not always the case as the cabins that will sleep 4 or 5 are limited. When these fill up, the price can sometimes even be more for the 3/4/5 person. In that case, you'd want to get 2 cabins.

You can bring your own drinks on board, if you want. They don't want people bringing liquor on board, but soft drinks are fine, if you must have them and don't want to pay for the soda card.

I would check out Carnival and Royal Caribbean's web sites. Go over the ships, activities and excursions available on each web site. Do you homework first, then go back to your travel agent as an educated traveler. Otherwise, you may end up with something you didn't expect.

Check out the FlowRider and Rock climbing on the Royal Caribbean ships...your kids will love it.

well we are doing our first in just less than a week and it is on the conquest. My best advice is stay on these boards and read plenty of threads. You will learn so much. We've never been on a ship, but all the info we have received here makes us feel like seasoned pros.

Make sure and check your roll call and meet some of the folks on your cruise.

Make sure and go to www.galveston.com/webcams and check out the harbor cam every sunday morning around 6 am and 4pm to watch the conquest arrive and sail. that will get your interest peeked for sure.

then come by the carnival forum and check out the thread for the crazy conquest watchers. We get on there and chat all the time but more importantly on those sundays and have some fun.

Sorry, yes I meant $800 per week, not per night. And I previously did not know that kids were cheaper, although it makes sense. We met with a TA yesterday and she is going to email us with some options today. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'll keep you updated.

serene56 - What does "take your own" mean? You aren't suggesting packing beverages for the whole trip are you?

!

bring your own soda/water. If my kids wanted soda they had to carry on their own 12 packs. It worked the first cruise only-- didnt drink most of it by the end of the week.-- but some people need pepsi- Ships have ONLY coke products.

!

bring your own soda/water. If my kids wanted soda they had to carry on their own 12 packs. It worked the first cruise only-- didnt drink most of it by the end of the week.-- but some people need pepsi- Ships have ONLY coke products.

Does the ship load/unload from the port or starboard side? Would you consider that when selecting a room?

no, it doesnt make a difference. When coming into a port depending on how many ships are there-- what time they are leaving-- is to how a ship will dock.

Mostly in one port the ship will dock port side (left ) ((four letters in each word) and in the next port it will dock starboard (right)

The ship will load (embark) in the home port where the main lobby is. In the ports that you will visit you get back onboard using deck 0.

When getting off (embarkation) you will be getting off using the doors to the main lobby.

The only time you want to "worry" about what side to book would be an alaskan cruise going either a northbound or southbound route.

We are a family of 5 and went on The Mariner of the Seas. I got a good deal on 2 inside cabins for the week. However, you must consider all the other stuff. Tips, drinks, arcade(if kids want to play) soda cards, photos and more. We were able to keep those costs down. However, excursions is where it can get pricey. I do not do the ships excursions. Having a family of 5 adds up. I am looking at doing cave tubing as well on my next cruise. It runs about $45 per person($225) that is not including transportation and tip. This is just something to consider when planning. I am still trying to decide on our next cruise. Good luck and have fun.:)

Archived