Are Swim Diapers allowed in pool

frayedend

I've read a lot of posts and seen different answers. Does anyone know if RCCL allows children that aren't yet potty trained in the pool with swim diapers? I can't find anything on the rccl.com site. I have an 18 month old and would love to be able to take him in the pool. We have a pool at home and my child has never "pooped" when swimming.

Thanks,

Frayed

I am sure this thread will have plenty giving their opinions, so here is mine. In a word---no--diapers are not welcome in the pool. Your baby may not have ever pooped in your pool, but how do you know when he/she pees? I am sure your pool has chlorine in it---and is not salt water. You will notice there are signs posted all around the pool area---no diapers or swimmies.

I have been on many cruises and never had salt water. They are all chlorinated. And if you seriously think that the teens and adults aren't peeing in the pool you give a lot of people too much credit. Swim diapers keep poop in and as any parent can tell you, if a kid starts pooping, you can tell by their face and remove them.

Anyhow, my question was not whether anyone likes to see it, but whether or not it is allowed. So, while I am sure I will get a lot of negative responses from people that obviously don't have kids and have no scientific understanding of pool contamination, I really only want to know what rules on board are. PS. all of your poop goes into the ocean which btw is salt water.

Sorry to be nasty, but the response was uncalled for.

Thanks,

If they are not allowed, I will not bring my child in. I am surprised that the pools are salt water. I was on Enchantment a few years back and it was not salt water. I can't stand the feeling of salt water and need to shower immediately after leaving the beach. I've never had this feeling after being in a ships pool. Though it does make sense since salt water is very available.

No problem on the swim diapers question. I was just curious and want to plan accordingly. I am bummed out about the salt water and I hope they have a pool with fresh water. I've never seen salt water pools on ships but just read that RCCL has a lot of them.

Does anyone know if they at least have fresh water showers nearby to rinse off in?

I have been on many cruises and never had salt water. They are all chlorinated. And if you seriously think that the teens and adults aren't peeing in the pool you give a lot of people too much credit. Swim diapers keep poop in and as any parent can tell you, if a kid starts pooping, you can tell by their face and remove them.

Anyhow, my question was not whether anyone likes to see it, but whether or not it is allowed. So, while I am sure I will get a lot of negative responses from people that obviously don't have kids and have no scientific understanding of pool contamination, I really only want to know what rules on board are. PS. all of your poop goes into the ocean which btw is salt water.

Sorry to be nasty, but the response was uncalled for.

The past 5 years or so I have been on 7 different ships, and they all had sea water. I was not trying to be rude, if you will note, I commented on you stating you could tell if your child pooped. I also pointed out that there are signs posted around the pool. Believe me, I have 3 kids of my own, and would never--ever have even thought to bring them in a public pool with their diapers on. I have, however brought them swimming in our own pool, but would never subject others to wondering if they were going to run into a Baby Ruth. I have seen many parents try, but usually the pool attendants are quick to point out the signs, and the times they weren't around--people in the pool or sitting next to it were quick to let the parent know that diapers and swimmies are not allowed in the pool, by pointing to the posted signs. It seems on some of the ships I've been on, they had a specific kiddie pool. Whether or not they allow diapers in that pool, I do not know. Maybe someone out there knows the answer to that.

Yes, they do have nearby fresh water showers to rinse off.

It is unfortunate that they do not allow children that are not potty trained to go in the pool. We were going to take our children and grandchildren on a cruise next spring as we wanted the youngest to be 3 (trained and old enough for Adventure Ocean), but they are having a new baby and we decided to wait until this one is trained. Some day..........

One suggestion though, you may want to get a suite as I have no idea how to bath a baby in a regular cabin. You probably have already thought of that, unless your child doesn't mind showers.

Happy cruising

Wow... did a web search and even if a pool is chlorinated, the proper procedure for fecal contamination is to close the pool down, increase the chlorination level for a couple of hours (8 to 10 hours if it is "loose"), wait for the chlorination level to return to normal levels, and then swimmers may return to the pool. This could technically shut a pool down for an entire day.

And after browsing the Royal Caribbean site for a couple of minutes I found this:

"To participate in our Adventure Ocean programs or use the onboard pools and whirlpools, children must be three years of age and potty-trained (diaper and pull-up free)."

If you follow this link to Royal Caribbean's website then scroll all the way to the bottom, they say no children in the pools or hot tubs who are not potty trained or diaper/pull up free:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/familycruising/home.do;jsessionid=0000lw-qcoP2M7_lT85btVLxhHW:v29bc620

Thanks everyone for the info. I haven't found RCCL's website to easy to search. I think info such as this should be more easily found.

I am aware of the contamination procedure for a pool, however, I did refer to swim diapers and I've never seen them leak any fecal matter. I guess since my kid never pooped when swimming I wouldn't see it. But I've had lots of friends use them and nothing ever go out of them. Honestly, I am willing to bet even a full swim diaper lets out less contamination than some of the unsanitary people that have nothing between them and the water but a thin piece of nylon ;)

I am not one to try and skirt the rules and my child won't be in the pool. I'm sure we will have plenty else to do.

Does anyone know if an 18 month old is allowed on the rock climbing wall ;)

Have a good day

Just wanted to say that i too thought swim diapers kept poop in but we learned the hard/messy way that NO swim diapers Do not keep poop in!!!! I wonder what they are for then????? Thak god it was our own pool I would have been mortified if they had to get everyone out and close pool for 3 hour because of me.......

Here is a link from the CDC re: feces in a swimming pool. As you can see, an 'accident' can cause alot of concern and work involved to clean the pool until it is considered safe for others to use. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/manual/Fecal%20Accident%20Flow%20Chart.pdf

Also from the CDC

"Because swimming typically involves sharing water with many other persons in a pool, the water contains various bodily fluids, fecal matter, dirt, and debris that wash off bodies during swimming activities. Fecal matter is regularly introduced into the water when someone has a fecal accident through release of formed stool or diarrhea into the water, or residual fecal material on swimmers' bodies is washed into the pool. Fecal contamination may be more likely to occur when there is a high density of bathers, particularly diaper- and toddler-aged children. Swallowing this fecally contaminated water is the primary mode for transmission of enteric pathogens in recreational water outbreaks."

Would you want to risk the chance of you're child having an accident putting all others at risk? Just because they have never done it in your pool, doesn't mean it can't happen. That's why it's called an "accident"!

"I did refer to swim diapers and I've never seen them leak any fecal matter."

You may not see a leak, but if the organisms are microscopic, how could you? :rolleyes:

Wow... did a web search and even if a pool is chlorinated, the proper procedure for fecal contamination is to close the pool down, increase the chlorination level for a couple of hours (8 to 10 hours if it is "loose"), wait for the chlorination level to return to normal levels, and then swimmers may return to the pool. This could technically shut a pool down for an entire day.

And after browsing the Royal Caribbean site for a couple of minutes I found this:

"To participate in our Adventure Ocean programs or use the onboard pools and whirlpools, children must be three years of age and potty-trained (diaper and pull-up free)."

You are absolutely right. We have a pool at my job, where we teach swimming. My preschool and school age classes use this pool daily for both swim lessons and rec. swimming. They do not allow the younger kids that are not fully potty trained in even with swimmies. Reason: Swimmies do leak, and when we close our pool its usually more than 8 - 10 hours since its a public pool. Depending on how bad the contamination the pool may have to be drained completely, and refilled, this a 3 day process now. We loose money when we have to shut the pool down. I can imagine how much RCI would have to compensate all the complainers for having the shut down the main pool due to a leaking swimmie. And it would be for way more than 3 hours if they needed to shut down a salt water pool. I'm not even sure how they would sanitize it.

Just wondering which cruise lines you've been on that didn't have salt-water pools, frayedend. The only MM lines I know of that have fresh-water pools are HAL, Disney, and Princess.

I've been on Norwegian, Disney, Royal Carribean. I don't ever remember having that salt water feeling when I exited the pool.

Just wanted to say that i too thought swim diapers kept poop in but we learned the hard/messy way that NO swim diapers Do not keep poop in!!!! I wonder what they are for then????? Thak god it was our own pool I would have been mortified if they had to get everyone out and close pool for 3 hour because of me.......

I think it's called marketing. Same for the pull-ups. :rolleyes:

Beth

As I said, I won't put my kid in the pool. I also did not know that they aren't chlorinated and wouldn't have considered it if I knew. Note that the CDC also mentioned high density of swimmers, which of course there will be on a cruise ship. I just hope all of the people slamming me are just as clean as my kid.

CDC also says Cryptosporidium outbreak is the most common problem from contamination. Unless a child is sick they don't say to keep them out of the pool.

Also from the CDC...

To prevent outbreaks of diarrhea caused by this parasite (cryptosporidium), the authors suggest changes in pool engineering, such as improved filtering and more frequent turnover of the water pumped into the pool. They also suggest changes in pools' policies and urge that staff of and visitors to public pools and water parks be educated about ways to prevent waterborne disease transmission, such as 1) staying out of the pool while ill with diarrhea, 2) not swallowing pool water, 3) using safe diaper changing and handwashing practices, 4) giving young children frequent bathroom breaks, and 5) encouraging swimmers to shower before entering a pool.

Archived