Hotel Near Portside Wharf / CBD

Kiwi Kid

Hi Geoff

Brisbane Portside still has some catching up to do ...especially in regard to local accommodation.

Of the places you have mentioned I can comment

Hamilton Motor Inn: We (Qld Cricket) use thema a fair bit. A 3.5 star place. a bit dated but rooms are bigger than usual.

Riverview Hotel: We also use them as this place is at Breakfast Creek and is quite close to our Headquarters. 4 +Star.

Others are Motels that cater for Brisbane Airport

The Hamilton Hotel (not on your list) is perhaps the closest to portside but up until now is just a Boozer. Over last few months they have been doing massive renovations - and I seriously suspect they understand the need to have some quality accommodation available for Portside.

My reading is that they will have accommodation available early next year.

In any event all the "local' accommodation is still a bit of a hike. No problems if its fine and you are fit ...but otherwise could be a pain. Yes there is a walkway from Bretts Wharf to Portside.

My recommendation however is to forget the taxi differential (no more than$10) and find a special deal in the Brisbane CBD. You can then enjoy the best of what Brisvegas has, and then comfortably (an inexpensibly)cab to Portside at you liesure.

Email me if you you need further info

cheers

Kingsford Smith is definetley the closest, if you have a room a the front you can see the ships at Portside.

Not sure that the Hamilton Hotel's an option, when we drove past today most of it was being demolished. They must be rebuilding. I guess though, by June it should be rebuilt

Hi Geoff

Brisbane Portside still has some catching up to do ...especially in regard to local accommodation.

Of the places you have mentioned I can comment

Hamilton Motor Inn: We (Qld Cricket) use thema a fair bit. A 3.5 star place. a bit dated but rooms are bigger than usual.

Riverview Hotel: We also use them as this place is at Breakfast Creek and is quite close to our Headquarters. 4 +Star.

Others are Motels that cater for Brisbane Airport

The Hamilton Hotel (not on your list) is perhaps the closest to portside but up until now is just a Boozer. Over last few months they have been doing massive renovations - and I seriously suspect they understand the need to have some quality accommodation available for Portside.

My reading is that they will have accommodation available early next year.

In any event all the "local' accommodation is still a bit of a hike. No problems if its fine and you are fit ...but otherwise could be a pain. Yes there is a walkway from Bretts Wharf to Portside.

My recommendation however is to forget the taxi differential (no more than$10) and find a special deal in the Brisbane CBD. You can then enjoy the best of what Brisvegas has, and then comfortably (an inexpensibly)cab to Portside at you liesure.

Email me if you you need further info

cheers

Thanks Flipper,

We are only staying overnight, and had considered some of the Oak apartments and a couple of others we have enjoyed previously in the city.

The main reason I would like to stay near Portside, is that our ship will be coming out of drydock and over to the passenger terminal and I would like to get plenty of photos and video for our collection. Apart from lunch and a browse around Queen St Mall, we don't have any other plans for the CBD this time.

I will keep an eyeout for the rebirth of the Hamilton Hotel.

Kingsford Smith is definetley the closest, if you have a room a the front you can see the ships at Portside.

Not sure that the Hamilton Hotel's an option, when we drove past today most of it was being demolished. They must be rebuilding. I guess though, by June it should be rebuilt

Thanks Kym,

Seems that a couple of the map pins on the google map link from Wotif are out a bit. Still have a leaning to Hamilton Motor Inn if we can walk along the waterfront, as it is closest to Brett's Wharf for the cat, and I have a feeling I will be spending some time on that pathway with camera in hand.

Thought I would re-hash this thread to ask similar questions for our brief stay in Brissie next June, prior to our 2 nighter on Dawn Princess back to Sydney.

We are looking at some hotels near to Brett's Wharf, off Kingsford Smith dve. By staying close to Brett's Wharf it is a cheaper taxi fare from the airport than to the city, but an easy spot to get a River Cat for some city browsing.

A look at Google satellite has shown some hotels that are closer to Portside than Kingsford Smith Motel, but I have not heard discussion on them. Does anyone have experience or info regarding these Hamilton hotels?

Hamilton Motor Inn

Airolodge International

Quality Hotel Airport International

Hamilton Hacienda

Riverview Hotel

Airport Motel

There appears to be a riverfront walk from Brett's Wharf to Portside. Is it possible to take this walk all the way to the cruise terminal and drop luggage easily while a ship is in, or do you need to detour to the nearby streets? If we can take this walk, it looks like Hamilton Motor Inn is best located.

I would appreciate your thoughts & experiences.

Hi Geoff.

If you're after a really nice place to stay I think the pick of the bunch in the hotels you listed would be the Riverview Hotel. The rest of them are a little "tired" looking (from the outside anyway). It is in within walking distance to Portside. Probably take you 10 mins or maybe 15 with suitcases.

From any of the hotels you've listed, you can walk right along the Brissie River up to Bretts Wharf and straight through to Portside. The walkway just continues right on. All of the hotels are on the opposite side of the road to Portside though, so you'll need to cross the road once, get down to the river walkway and then Bob's your uncle! :)

I'm sure there'll be one or two of the "Portside Gang" around to help you out on they day if you're lucky though ;) :D

From any of the hotels you've listed, you can walk right along the Brissie River up to Bretts Wharf and straight through to Portside. The walkway just continues right on. All of the hotels are on the opposite side of the road to Portside though, so you'll need to cross the road once, get down to the river walkway and then Bob's your uncle! :)

I'm sure there'll be one or two of the "Portside Gang" around to help you out on they day if you're lucky though ;) :D

Thanks Jo,

I was worried it might become like Wharf 8 in Sydney, that when a ship berths, it blocks access to the waterfront and forces you onto the street. So this is great news. Will be fun to catch up with the "Portside Gang" - it is so much more fun to have friends to share a meal or drink with when travelling. I am sure there will be plenty around checking out DP's manoevres out of drydock.

Thanks SS Kaz,

Will you be swimming across the river to meet up with the Pirate King?

Nope...me and the Ice queen will be walking straight onto the ship...then into the security office to find my luggage and try and sweet talk the SECO into letting me keep my handcuffs and whips!!!! LOL!!!!

PK has told me I'm not allowed to....hahahahaha...yeah right...watch me.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Nice to hear some good feedback from Kaz as we have booked the Airolodge for the night prior to our Xmas cruise. Although they are also in easy walking distance to the terminal they do offer Portside drop off's which will certainly make it easier with our luggage for a family of four.

Lesley :)

Archived