Chankanaab question

mrsherma

Does Chankanaab Park accept credit cards for the entrance fee? We are trying to plan out how much cash to bring (we'd like to carry as little as possible) for our cruise. We have already booked the royal swim through Dolphin Discovery so we are set there. The taxi cabs fares are per cab, not per person, right? We have a group of 7 so planning for at least $40. for the cab fare, to and from, should be right. Thanks for any help...

As the other poster said, no plastic, just cash. They do take USD though.

The cabs are negotiable, and have no meters so negotiate the rate before you go. I've paid $10-$15 each way and you may need to get two cabs for 7 people (they don't have too many of the minivan/suburban kind). $40 may work, but I would budget for $70 or so just to be safe.

I've seen it more expensive on the way back from Chaankanaab when there are more people and less cabs. If the one at the front of the line isn't giving you a reasonable price then go to the next one.

Also there are lockers available at the park. If you go down to the beach and walk for a bit to the left you will see them on your left hand side. They are $3 per locker for the day I believe and you can shower there as well.

As the other poster said, no plastic, just cash. They do take USD though.

The cabs are negotiable, and have no meters so negotiate the rate before you go. I've paid $10-$15 each way and you may need to get two cabs for 7 people (they don't have too many of the minivan/suburban kind). $40 may work, but I would budget for $70 or so just to be safe.

I've seen it more expensive on the way back from Chaankanaab when there are more people and less cabs. If the one at the front of the line isn't giving you a reasonable price then go to the next one.

Also there are lockers available at the park. If you go down to the beach and walk for a bit to the left you will see them on your left hand side. They are $3 per locker for the day I believe and you can shower there as well.

Wow.... when were you there? I was just there in May and things were a lot different! We didn't try to pay with plastic for entrance fee, because we were were already pre-booked through cozumelinsider and entrance fee was included. We did however use plastic for video, photos and souveniers.

As for lockers.... they were right on the other side of the gift shop by Dolphin Discovery and they were "FREE"!

As for cab..... There were 5 in our group, so we also needed a van. There were plenty both going to and coming back from Chankanaab. $15.00 going and only $12.00 coming back because there were 2 other people sharing the ride.

Yeah, those prices sound a little odd. On my visits to Chankanaab, the cabs were ALL the same rate, both to and from the park. $10 per cab, for up to four people. So, if you have seven, that's two cabs, round trip would be $40.

Hmmm, I thought if you booked Dolphin Discovery's Royal Swim, the entry fee to the park was included.........:confused: I'd check with them to see if this isn't the case.

Thanks for the replies. It really is confusing, so many conflicting cab fares! Yikes. Well, I guess we'll just be safe and bring along plenty of cash regardless. I thought that the entrance fee was included with the Royal Swim too but my paperwork from Dolphin Discovery says to remember that there is an entrance fee of $12 and $6. They also say the cab fare should be about $10. one-way. I will have to call them directly and clarify the entrance fee confusion. Thanks again!

Cab fares are posted at the pier and are for up to 4 pax (not per person).

The "packages" dolphin activity + sea lion swim + show include entrance fee

Credit Cards are accepted at the gift shop where they also have the photos and videos for sale

Entrance fee (if not included) US Dollars OR Pesos accepted ~ but not part Dollars part Pesos (I found this strange but it might help someone later) and as posted above NO CREDIT CARDS ~ again this is for the entrance fee at the gate

While the entrance was cash I found the sea lion swim and the dive shop took credit cards with no problem. Frankly I find it easier to take cash off my ships card on the boat and then pay cash ashore. It still ends up on your card but I fell safer having the ships card bill my credit card rather than having my card number floating around some other country!!. By the way we loved the park

We were on the Triumph in March 2003. Cab fare was $10-12 each way and it was a set fee. Prices were listed right at the pier. We did pay cash for everything but the lockers were not free. I think $5 and maybe $3 back or something? I believe we figured about $50 for two for the day between cabs, admission and snorkeling. It's great and was the highlight of our cruise.

Hi,

We are booked on the 18 July,2005 sailing on CC Inspiration, one of our stops is Cozumel, and we were looking into spending time at Chankanaab National Park .

1. Is there a bar on the beach?

2. Is there a link to pictures of Chankanaab National Park?

3. How far out is the swim for Snorkeling.

Any input you can add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here ya go, Mare:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/beaches/beach_chankanaab.htm

I've been to Chankanaab twice, and loved spending most of the day there. Much to see and do - don't miss the botanical gardens with replicated Mayan ruins.

There's a lovely little lagoon and sandy beach. Just past that is the snorkeling 'shore'...a huge sand beach with a craggy shore (doesn't slope into the water) - has steps going down into the water. The fish are right there as you enter the water. There's a dive platform straight out from the lifeguard station. Last year was my first snorkeling experience, and I was amazed at all the beautiful fish, coral, and underwater statues.

Waiters will come around on the beach to take drink orders, but they aren't pushy. I remember that the margaritas and pina coladas were $4. There's also an open-air restaurant if you care to eat, or have drinks out of the sun. The beach has plenty of palapas to sit under, with loungers - no charge, of course. The restaurant has a strolling Mariachi band, and you can hear their music all over the beach area. Nice.

There are several dive shops, in case you need to rent equipment. Each piece (snorkel, fins, vest) were $3 to rent. There are other areas, which I'm sure are covered in the link I gave you.

Oh, the cab ride from the pier is $10 per cab, and holds up to four people.

Chank is a great way to spend a day on Cozumel!:)

Archived