Cruises To Nowhere/Weekenders

Has anyone been one one of these? What it is like? DH and I would love to hear a play by play for one of these cruises to see if it would be something we would enjoy for a weekend getaway. I see that RCI has two and some other cruise lines also offer a few. It seems strange to try to squeeze in the muster drill and getting settled into the cabin, etc. into a quick weekender...lol. Please share your experiences!!!:)

21 girl friends did a "Girls Getaway Weekend" this past June. It was a blast. The hubbies all manned the fort at home and us girls enjoyed three days away. So much so, that we are planning a 3 Night Bahamas cruise this Sept. They should have never let us get away from home!! :) We even got tee shirts made for all of us and wore them on board. There were travel agents onboard taking pics of us to promote the nowhere cruise as a girls trip!!! Yes, there is still a muster drill.....settling into the room was no biggie and you will enjoy the break in your regular routine!!

My first "cruise" was a cruise to nowhere on Carnival Triumph in 2001. The boarding process was a nightmare out of Norfolk VA. We had to carry our luggage with us and stand in an outside line for 2-3 hours for check in. I have heard Norfolk has improved the process.

The cruise itself was awesome- this was a time when the all-inclusive meant just that. All drinks were included. Carnival had huge tubs on all the decks with sodas, beer, waters etc... and all mixed drinks were free.

The entire ship was in a party mood (I wonder why:rolleyes: ) and there was a lot going on at 3-4 in the morning.

The only full day was Saturday and Carnival ran their regular activities on deck and had formal night for dinner.

Getting off the ship was once again a nightmare because everybody had to carry off their luggage.

I would probably only do this type of cruise again if the drinks were included or if I had never cruised before. The prices I've seen seem to be on the steep side and you could probably get more bang for your buck if you look at a longer cruise.

We have done the Monarch 3 nighters 3 times and love it. For us, it's cheaper than Vegas and closer drive to the port. 40 minutes vs. 3 1/2 hours.

"shorty" cruises have a vibe all their own. It's a sort of party atmosphere, only because there are more groups, bachelorette/bachelor parties, girls trips etc...on board. When we went a few weeks ago, they had a few girls groups on board, having a blast of course! The only stop we make is at Ensenada Mex, and we just shop a little and then hit Hussongs and Papas and Beer.

It's just a fun cheap getaway. Monarch is leaving this October 13th, but looks like you would go out of Fl anyway. Try it you'll like it ;):)

Archived